News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Will the 2024 QB Class be a repeat of the 2021 QB Class?

Started by brownelvis54, March 12, 2024, 05:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

I am on the side of not taking a QB this year unless a QB the Giants really wanted falls to #6. No one knows how these guys will pan out (that can be said just about every draft), just continue building.

The 2021 NFL draft: Five quarterbacks were selected in the first round — Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones — the second highest number of first-round quarterback selections (along with the 1999 and 2018 drafts) after the six selected in 1983.

Three of the 2021 QBs are now backups, one (Fields) is rumored to be traded before the start of the 2024 draft. That leaves only one QB from the 2021 draft that is headed in the right direction with the team that drafted him.

Very similar in positions:

Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones = 2021

Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, J.J. McCarthy and Michael Penix Jr.

2021 had one TE listed as a cant miss TE and 2024 looks like the same Pitts vs. Bowers

As far as the WRs

Chase/Waddle/Smith/Bateman vs. MHJ/Nabers/Odunze/Coleman

If we dont get a QB this year so far this is the top 2025 QB class

Shedeur Sanders*, QB, Colorado. Height: 6-2. ...
Quinn Ewers*, QB, Texas. Height: 6-2. ...
Drew Allar*, QB, Penn State. Height: 6-5. ...
Carson Beck, QB, Georgia. Height: 6-4. ...
Riley Leonard*, QB, Notre Dame. ...
Jalen Milroe*, QB, Alabama. ...
Will Howard, QB, Ohio State. ...
Tyler Van Dyke, QB, Wisconsin.
Cam Ward QB, Miami

The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

The hype of a draft class a year before its prime is a red flag. So I would watch and see the progress the 2025 class makes.

As for this class, I think you need to look at the teams that Draft them and then evaluate if they can nurture and develop them. There are 8 QBs that have potential. They can thrive or fail based on their effort and the right mentors.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 12, 2024, 05:27:30 PMI am on the side of not taking a QB this year unless a QB the Giants really wanted falls to #6. No one knows how these guys will pan out (that can be said just about every draft), just continue building.

The 2021 NFL draft: Five quarterbacks were selected in the first round — Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones — the second highest number of first-round quarterback selections (along with the 1999 and 2018 drafts) after the six selected in 1983.

Three of the 2021 QBs are now backups, one (Fields) is rumored to be traded before the start of the 2024 draft. That leaves only one QB from the 2021 draft that is headed in the right direction with the team that drafted him.

Very similar in positions:

Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones = 2021

Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, J.J. McCarthy and Michael Penix Jr.

2021 had one TE listed as a cant miss TE and 2024 looks like the same Pitts vs. Bowers

As far as the WRs

Chase/Waddle/Smith/Bateman vs. MHJ/Nabers/Odunze/Coleman

If we dont get a QB this year so far this is the top 2025 QB class

Shedeur Sanders*, QB, Colorado. Height: 6-2. ...
Quinn Ewers*, QB, Texas. Height: 6-2. ...
Drew Allar*, QB, Penn State. Height: 6-5. ...
Carson Beck, QB, Georgia. Height: 6-4. ...
Riley Leonard*, QB, Notre Dame. ...
Jalen Milroe*, QB, Alabama. ...
Will Howard, QB, Ohio State. ...
Tyler Van Dyke, QB, Wisconsin.
Cam Ward QB, Miami

Those aren't the top Qbs for 2025, you've got a couple but the list definitely doesn't include Allar, Dyke, Ward, Howard, or Leonard.

Allar has been a complete bust at Penn St most wanted his backup to play.

Dyke busted at Miami hence the transfer

Howard had 1 ok year at Kansas st that wasn't even impressive, he may not even start for OSU

Leonard had an ok 2022 but like Dyke and Howard, he played in a soft conference, and was injured most of 2023.

Cam Ward had good seasons at Washington state but is far from a complete prospect.

Milroe got benched last year for not being able to throw the ball. His short intermediate game doesn't exist currently.

Sanders
Ewers
Dart
Gabriel
Mccall

Are the top 5 returning qbs next year

Also the 2024 qbs in this draft compare more to 2020 than 2021.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 12, 2024, 06:51:39 PMThose aren't the top Qbs for 2025, you've got a couple but the list definitely doesn't include Allar, Dyke, Ward, Howard, or Leonard.

Howard had 1 ok year at Kansas st that wasn't even impressive, he may not even start for OSU

Leonard had an ok 2022 but like Dyke and Howard, he played in a soft conference, and was injured most of 2023.

Cam Ward had good seasons at Washington state but is far from a complete prospect.

Milroe got benched last year for not being able to throw the ball. His short intermediate game doesn't exist currently.

Sanders
Ewers
Dart
Gabriel
Mccall

Forgot about McCall, but I also believe Carson Beck should be on your list
The KING is in the building

JT39

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 12, 2024, 06:51:39 PMThose aren't the top Qbs for 2025, you've got a couple but the list definitely doesn't include Allar, Dyke, Ward, Howard, or Leonard.

Sanders
Ewers
Dart
Gabriel
Mccall

Dart is the guy who I think will rise the most next year. Not a Gabriel fan. Don't think he has a strong enough arm.

You need to include Carson Beck.

Jclayton92

Quote from: JT39 on March 12, 2024, 08:31:06 PMDart is the guy who I think will rise the most next year. Not a Gabriel fan. Don't think he has a strong enough arm.

You need to include Carson Beck.
Carson Becks first season was last year where every player on the offense was a 5 star guy coming out of high school. He needs to put up a 2nd successful campaign for me to feel comfortable about him. Kirby likes his game managers, and that's what most Georgia Qbs end up being, backup game managers.

EliWasrobbed

this is getting into horoscope territory imo. I see no eery symbolic synchronicity with the two classes

given the moves Schoen made, it's absolutely essential we take a QB (who is not JJ).
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

MightyGiants

I see a parallel to 2018 QB draft class

Mayfield
Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Jackson

Williams
Daniels
Maye
JJ
Bo Nix
Penix

I suspect you may see similar results in terms of how the prospects work out
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I think the 2024 class had more success in college than the 2018 class.  Fans at USC and UCLA were not behind Darnold or Rosen as future successful NFL QBs.

The 2024 class has had plenty of success.  That matters.

Painter

If we are looking to find meaning in the Draft, it won't be found in terms of predictability. Although different in expectation, it applies no less to 1st Round QBs as to the rest of the Draft in general. It's a guessing game where, depending on how we choose to define success, the odds are 50/50 at best. And while our only ability is in second-guessing, after-the-fact, we don't get to sort based on which year's Drafts are to our liking and which are not.

But, we do know all of that, don't we?

Cheers!