News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - is everyone all right??? [quake]

Started by President Rick, April 05, 2024, 11:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Rick

is everyone in the NY-NJ area all right??? [today's earthquake].  From the maps the epicenter appeared to be GIANTS Stadium [I still call it that] - a place which I often call 'the center of the universe.'  As long as no one was injured in this, I will take the tremor as a good omen of the power we will project in the 2024 season.  Best wishes to all.  Stay safe. 
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Rick,

There appears to have been no damage or injuries from the 4.8 magnitude earthquake (near Lebon NJ about 30 or so miles from Giants stadium)

There is a discussion about the earthquake on the front porch

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=69586.0

M4.7 Earthquake - New Jersey
Preliminary Report
Magnitude   4.7
Date-Time   •   Universal Time (UTC): 5 Apr 2024 14:23:20
•   Time near the Epicenter (1): 5 Apr 2024 10:23:20
•   Time in your area (1): 5 Apr 2024 09:23:20
Location   40.683N 74.753W
Depth   4 km
Distances   •   7.7 km (4.8 mi) NNE of Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
•   12.7 km (7.9 mi) NW of Bridgewater, New Jersey
•   15.7 km (9.8 mi) NNW of Bradley Gardens, New Jersey
•   17.1 km (10.6 mi) NW of Somerville, New Jersey
•   51.8 km (32.1 mi) N of Trenton, New Jersey
Location Uncertainty   Horizontal: 2.1 km; Vertical 6.1 km
Parameters   Nph = 32; Dmin = 72.1 km; Rmss = 0.34 seconds; Gp = 106°
Version =
Event ID   us 7000ma74 ***This event supersedes event AT00sbh3yv.
(1) Nominal Standard Time; local and daylight savings time zone may differ.
For updates, maps, and technical information
see: Event Page or USGS Earthquake Hazards Program
National Earthquake Information Center
U.S. Geological Survey
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

We are on Long Island and while we were eating breakfast, we felt the entire house shake. Scared the you know what out of us and we never felt anything like that before.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

brownelvis54

Hope everyone is ok. 4.8 is nothing to sneeze at. I live in Los Angeles and quakes no matter how strong they are can be unnerving.
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

We're in northern Westchester. I heard what I thought was the roar of a big truck. I then felt the house shake and heard the moisture from the trees pelting down on the roof.  Our cat disappeared immediately and she remained AWOL for 30 minutes
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Bill Brown

I'm no where near you earthquake folks and happy to hear everyone is safe and sound. However we got a snowstorm on Thursday that knocked out our power at 6am Thursday and I sit here on Saturday still without power. Running a generator so we are quite comfortable but no kitchen stove no washer no dryer no wifi. Could be Monday before power is restored. Life is good!

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on April 06, 2024, 11:38:08 AMI'm no where near you earthquake folks and happy to hear everyone is safe and sound. However we got a snowstorm on Thursday that knocked out our power at 6am Thursday and I sit here on Saturday still without power. Running a generator so we are quite comfortable but no kitchen stove no washer no dryer no wifi. Could be Monday before power is restored. Life is good!

Bill
If I didn't know better I would assume you live in Alaska.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

I hope everyone in the NY Metro area is safe.

When I lived in upstate NY, I used to feel my bed vibrate early in the morning a few times before getting up for classes. Turns out the Adirondacks had little tremors that were barely noticeable unless you were lying flat on the floor or in your bed. So, earthquakes on the East Coast are not completely rare; though I never experienced one in New Jersey.

Living in Southern California, on the other hand, I was awaken in bed to a 7.2 which was surreal that I'm glad I was half asleep that I didn't panic. That's an experience I'd rather not have again in this lifetime.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kartanoman on April 06, 2024, 11:50:01 AM.

Living in Southern California, on the other hand, I was awaken in bed to a 7.2 which was surreal that I'm glad I was half asleep that I didn't panic. That's an experience I'd rather not have again in this lifetime.

Peace!

I remember that quake. I 'woke up' right next to my daughters'bunk beds with no idea or recollection of how I got there.  Instinct, I guess.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

LennG

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 06, 2024, 12:55:55 PMI remember that quake. I 'woke up' right next to my daughters'bunk beds with no idea or recollection of how I got there.  Instinct, I guess.

Or some Jack Daniels.   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss