News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I Believe This

Started by Philosophers, April 14, 2024, 09:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on April 14, 2024, 09:44:41 AMI think coaching staffs almost always think they can make some players top 10 at their position.  Their egos are too big.

I think this might apply more if they were the ones who picked him. Jones is now a clear losing poker hand. Daboll and Schoen are not going to bet their careers on him at this point.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on April 14, 2024, 10:45:08 AMHere's a question.  If Giants do draft a QB at 6 does ownership give Dabs, Schoen, etc more than just next season to develop him otherwise we run into problem of mismatch between new head coach and previous regime's QB.

Yes, which is another reason why I think they will draft one. It buys them at least another year after this year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 14, 2024, 10:57:08 AMYes, which is another reason why I think they will draft one. It buys them at least another year after this year.

I would be challenged to think of a worse reason to decide to draft a player
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2024, 11:00:27 AMI would be challenged to think of a worse reason to decide to draft a player
If that is the only reason they are drafting the player, yes. It's do we get fired if we continue to lose with an average, injury-prone QB or do we roll the dice on a a potentially good prospect and hope to turn the franchise around. If the latter is a bad outcome they will be gone just as they would be gone staying the course and losing with what they already have.

Painter

Quote from: Philosophers on April 14, 2024, 09:14:47 AMI think the Giants feel if they get better OL play especially in pass rush plus get a WR1 and add another RB or TE that a healthy DJ can be a top 12 or maybe top 10 QB and that they can win with that.  I also think they are less concerned than fans are about the injury history and conclude better protection insures against that.  This is the reason they go WR at 6 and maybe RB in round 2 or 3.  If DJ fails, Dabs will be gone and a new coach will then go get another QB in 2025 however the offense will now have a true X WR1, plus a good WanDale and Jalin and a young RB to build around a new rookie QB.

Your assessment is a reasonable one, Joseph. Indeed, I anticipate that the Giants Draft, now in less than 2 weeks, will sustain your expectation, and put an end to the McCarthy at 6 or even worse at 4 or 5 speculation.

While I believe that short of a remarkable regular season/ playoff performance by Daniel Jones, 2024 will be his last with Our Heroes, that said, I share Baldy's view re JJ McCarthy.

It's always a gamble but JJ is too much of a risk to justify "fan pleasing", should he still be available at 6. And so like you, I want it to be a BPA WR1. 

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on April 14, 2024, 11:06:07 AMIf that is the only reason they are drafting the player, yes. It's do we get fired if we continue to lose with an average, injury-prone QB or do we roll the dice on a a potentially good prospect and hope to turn the franchise around. If the latter is a bad outcome they will be gone just as they would be gone staying the course and losing with what they already have.

I never said it was the only reason. I said it was another reason. That means I'm saying it definitely isn't the only reason or even the main reason.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 14, 2024, 10:46:41 AMYes

And that is reason WHY we are picking a QB.....job security and Schoen and hothead.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

londonblue

I do not think Daboll gets fired because QB play sucks with DJ/Lock unless all the other stuff blows up around him again and our problems are much more widespread. Mara is clearly fed up changing horses and worried the instability is hurting us. IMO he won't hang the HC if the team plays hard and the mood music is happier staff and a unified locker room.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 15, 2024, 09:17:59 AMI do not think Daboll gets fired because QB play sucks with DJ/Lock unless all the other stuff blows up around him again and our problems are much more widespread. Mara is clearly fed up changing horses and worried the instability is hurting us. IMO he won't hang the HC if the team plays hard and the mood music is happier staff and a unified locker room.

For those who may not appreciate Neil's reference, Ralph V reported:

The last thing Mara wants to do is fire another coach, especially after he fired each of his past three after two seasons or less on the job. He craves stability for his franchise and, said one team source, "He's legitimately embarrassed by how much turnover there's been."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-the-giants-looming-qb-decision-could-shake-the-franchise-to-its-core
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 15, 2024, 09:23:01 AMFor those who may not appreciate Neil's reference, Ralph V reported:

The last thing Mara wants to do is fire another coach, especially after he fired each of his past three after two seasons or less on the job. He craves stability for his franchise and, said one team source, "He's legitimately embarrassed by how much turnover there's been."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-the-giants-looming-qb-decision-could-shake-the-franchise-to-its-core

He should be embarrassed. Who hired Shurmer, Gettleman, Judge? To avoid further embarrassment he should find someone who know football (and not stuck in the past) to run the Giants and stay out of it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on April 15, 2024, 09:52:15 AMHe should be embarrassed. Who hired Shurmer, Gettleman, Judge? To avoid further embarrassment he should find someone who know football (and not stuck in the past) to run the Giants and stay out of it.

Considering that a quarter to a fifth of head coaches turnover each season, and there is also significant turnover of GMs (though they tend to last longer than head coaches), I would argue finding a quality head coach and GM is as difficult and challenging as finding an elite QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

As Bill Belichick waits patiently on the sidelines.  :knockONwood:

If Bill's interested, and Daboll implodes, anyone here believe Mara wouldn't give him a call?

Killer may have a point that the Giants need another layer of management to oversee operations.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin