News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Say what you want about Mara, he is willing to spend

Started by MightyGiants, April 15, 2024, 01:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

be it big-ticket contracts (and in the case of Daniel Jones, a willingness to move off the money spent)

or the little things needed to win

https://x.com/art_stapleton/status/1779882294842359915

https://x.com/MadelynBurke/status/1779881814108070213
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Nice!

Did they put turf in Ronnie Barnes' office as well? (In jest, of course.)

Seriously, until the Giants and Jets and NJSEA generate a solution for permanent grass, I think the next best thing the Giants could do, within their span of control, is to go this route. Parcells did it after the 1983 season by hiring Johnny Parker and he transformed the careers of often-injured players; Phil Simms was at the top of that list.

I look forward to the players' comments.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

nb587

Quote from: kartanoman on April 15, 2024, 03:00:32 PMNice!

Did they put turf in Ronnie Barnes' office as well? (In jest, of course.)

Seriously, until the Giants and Jets and NJSEA generate a solution for permanent grass, I think the next best thing the Giants could do, within their span of control, is to go this route. Parcells did it after the 1983 season by hiring Johnny Parker and he transformed the careers of often-injured players; Phil Simms was at the top of that list.

I look forward to the players' comments.

Peace!

I think that a quality OL and a decent running game had alot to do with Simms avoiding injuries as he got older.  It didn't hurt that Parcells turned him away from being a gunslinger into a game manager.  In his early years, behind a terrible OL, Simms would stand in the pocket waiting for weak WRs to get open on deep patterns, a recipe for injuries

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on April 15, 2024, 05:00:00 PMI think that a quality OL and a decent running game had alot to do with Simms avoiding injuries as he got older.  It didn't hurt that Parcells turned him away from being a gunslinger into a game manager.  In his early years, behind a terrible OL, Simms would stand in the pocket waiting for weak WRs to get open on deep patterns, a recipe for injuries
Gotta disagree.

Even in our SB years Phil would take his share of poundings. He took a good beating through most of his career.

I agree that Parker and Phil's dedication to bulking up and staying in top shape were the difference in his ability to avoid major injury and play through being hurt like few that I've seen.

Taylor, Banks, Carson, Simms and Bavaro were warriors who stood out to me in that vein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jolly Blue Giant

Tim Mara bought the NY Football Giants in 1925 for 500 dollars. He became a multi-millionaire...it was passed down to his son Wellington who also became a multi-millionaire, who passed away, and now John Mara is the principal owner worth somewhere between a half-billion and a billion, and the New York Giants are estimated to be worth close to 7 billion

Player wise, he's forced to work within a cap system, but he lives in opulence and splendid luxury we can only dream about and is sitting on a massive fortune that he never earned, but inherited. HE SHOULD SPEND MONEY ON THE FRICKEN TEAM!!! Things like stadiums amenities, quality coaches, and anything to make the team better, and better for the fans. It's not like he ever saved pennies and dimes, and then made smart financial decisions to build a fortune...it was handed to him on a silver platter. Financial struggle is a foreign concept to him and will be for all his descendants, so he better spend where he can. It's the fans who built the Mara's fortune
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

President Rick

someday the nfl will cap coaches and other team-related salaries too in the interest of pete rozelle's 'parity.'
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

T200

Of course he is willing to spend. I mean, wasn't he paying three head coaches at one time??  ::)
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on April 16, 2024, 01:14:45 PMsomeday the nfl will cap coaches and other team-related salaries too in the interest of pete rozelle's 'parity.'

I don't think that happens until a successful coach lets his contract run out, and then he leaves for another team (who pays him more).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on April 16, 2024, 12:30:13 PMGotta disagree.

Even in our SB years Phil would take his share of poundings. He took a good beating through most of his career.

I agree that Parker and Phil's dedication to bulking up and staying in top shape were the difference in his ability to avoid major injury and play through being hurt like few that I've seen.

Taylor, Banks, Carson, Simms and Bavaro were warriors who stood out to me in that vein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1

The archived videos of the games show it that way.

Put it this way. The 1985 Bears knocked out several QBs en route to their Super Bowl XX "Shuffle." Simms was battered constantly by Richard Dent and, had Phil not bulked up in those two seasons leading up to that game, would have had to been shoveled off the Soldier Field Poly turf of the day. He earned his top brass in toughness that day and it galvanized him for the Super Bowl XXI run which, in poetic justice, witnessed him becoming the MVP of that dominating Super Bowl win and finally brining the Lombardi Trophy to Giants Stadium.

Thank you, Wellington Mara, Bill Parcells and, especially Johnny Parker!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)