News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evaluating the Giants' draft (the right way)

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 28, 2024, 10:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

The grades are all over the place, basically from A- to C+, depending on which of the dozens of sites one takes to heart. In the grand scheme of things, grades don't mean a damn thing. We all know that you can't grade a draft until a couple of years down the road, but that's neither here nor there. It also does not take into consideration how the pieces chosen fit neatly into the puzzle of what the team is trying to put together

The bottom line is this, each team is awarded a certain amount of draft capital, that varies depending on a won/loss record or "horse trading". If I may use an allegory here, it's like 32 people are given a different amount of money and told to go into a store and spend it however they see fit (the person with the most money getting first dibs on an item), and then when the money is all spent, evaluate who comes out with the most value for their money

Schoen made a point yesterday in his post draft meeting with reporters that I have said to myself repeatedly throught the last 3 days of the draft. His words almost went (or did go) completely unnoticed, but he said quietly offhand, "don't forget we used a 2nd round pick on Burns"...BINGO

The 2024 Giants' draft should look like this, and THIS IS HOW OUR DRAFT SHOULD BE GRADED:

RD 1 WR Malik Nabers
RD 2 ER Brian Burns
RD 2 S Tyler Nubin
RD 3 CB Dru Phillips
RD 4 TE Theo Johnson
RD 5 RB Tyrone Tracy Jr.
RD 6 LB Darius Muasau

Brian Burns is only 25 yrs old and already has been to two Pro-Bowls at the NFL level. This MUST be taken into consideration when grading this year's draft class!!!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 28, 2024, 10:49:50 AMThe 2024 Giants' draft should look like this, and THIS IS HOW OUR DRAFT SHOULD BE GRADED:

RD 1 WR Malik Nabers
RD 2 ER Brian Burns
RD 2 S Tyler Nubin
RD 3 CB Dru Phillips
RD 4 TE Theo Johnson
RD 5 RB Tyrone Tracy Jr.
RD 6 LB Darius Muasau

Brian Burns is only 25 yrs old and already has been to two Pro-Bowls at the NFL level. This MUST be taken into consideration when grading this year's draft class!!!

Yes and no.  One of the benefits of building through the draft is the fact that you can get quality players on very cost controlled contract.  I couldn't find a full list showing the rookie slotting for the #39 pick the Giants traded for him, but #32 gets around $12 million.  Burns signed for $141 million with $76 million.  So you really can't look at him as in any way comparable to a 2nd round drafted player.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 28, 2024, 01:17:05 PMYes and no.  One of the benefits of building through the draft is the fact that you can get quality players on very cost controlled contract.  I couldn't find a full list showing the rookie slotting for the #39 pick the Giants traded for him, but #32 gets around $12 million.  Burns signed for $141 million with $76 million.  So you really can't look at him as in any way comparable to a 2nd round drafted player.

I respectfully disagree. I see it as managing draft capital to maximize overall value to the team. There was no one in this draft that is in the same league with Burns. Maybe one of players in the draft will become a pro-bowl edge rusher, but there is no guarantee of that. Burns is guaranteed, young, and with his best years ahead of him
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 28, 2024, 01:40:50 PMI respectfully disagree. I see it as managing draft capital to maximize overall value to the team. There was no one in this draft that is in the same league with Burns. Maybe one of players in the draft will become a pro-bowl edge rusher, but there is no guarantee of that. Burns is guaranteed, young, and with his best years ahead of him

But we are paying him 10X what we would be paying a regular second rounder.  He is a plus for the team, but by no means should a guy be included in the assessment of a draft class who makes more than the whole class combined.  You talk about maximizing draft capital, but the real trick is maximizing overall team resources.  You can count him towards your draft grade if you want but I don't think that is a useful or rational way to do it.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll