News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The worst thing that happened to the Giants in the past 10 years

Started by Bob In PA, March 24, 2024, 10:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

IMO the worst thing that happened to the Giants in the past 10 years is that they allowed the Eagles to trade up one draft spot ahead of them and take DaVonta Smith. Not only did they not get a true "can't-miss" WR they then agreed w/the Bears to trade down (apparently prioritizing WR over taking the best player available... Micah Parsons) and compounded that error by taking a loser WR (Toney) with the Bears' pick. IMO trading up one spot last year to be certain to obtain Banks was an ADMISSION of the magnitude of the error they made in 2021 by not trading up one spot to ensure they got Smith.

If anyone can cite a worse move or occurrence in the past 10 years, please feel free to do so (level of difficulty: easy). lol   /sarcasm/

If anyone disagrees that last year's trading up one spot was completely unrelated to their failure to do so in 2021, please make your counter-argument (level of difficulty: not so easy).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

TONKA56

For me it's a wash between not drafting Aaron Donald and not drafting Micah Parsons.

Bob In PA

Quote from: TONKA56 on March 24, 2024, 10:44:28 AMFor me it's a wash between not drafting Aaron Donald and not drafting Micah Parsons.
Tonka: Good one. My only comment is that Donald truly is/was "too small" to play the position. That would have been a tough pick to explain to the NY/NJ media, IMO. Of course, it turned out to be a genius move for the team who took him, but other teams also passed on Donald, one of the truly great players of all time. Bob

TONKA56

DaVonta Smith? Meh.I'd rather have Parsons anyway.

TONKA56

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 24, 2024, 10:47:03 AMTonka: Good one. My only comment is that Donald truly is/was "too small" to play the position. That would have been a tough pick to explain to the NY/NJ media, IMO. Of course, it turned out to be a genius move for the team who took him, but other teams also passed on Donald, one of the truly great players of all time. Bob

Winners know when to break from established metrics. Parcells said as much but stated it somewhat differently.

Losers run to where the ball was, not to where it's going to be.

Bob In PA

Quote from: TONKA56 on March 24, 2024, 10:47:44 AMDaVonta Smith? Meh.I'd rather have Parsons anyway.

Tonka: I can't disagree with that, but the point is that they made BOTH mistakes at once, and then compounded their errors with more errors. It was truly disastrous, not only in terms of personnel, but also how it likely IMO altered the career of Daniel Jones. Bob

TONKA56

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 24, 2024, 10:51:39 AMTonka: I can't disagree with that, but the point is that they made BOTH mistakes at once, and then compounded their error with more errors. It was truly disastrous, not only in terms of personnel, but also how it likely IMO altered the career of Daniel Jones. Bob

That's fair but I think this situation makes a case for not panicking and letting the draft come to you.

Jolly Blue Giant

You gotta know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em. The draft is a little bit of poker and Gettleman couldn't play poker worth a damn. He held pocket Aces and folded...not to mention, broadcasted to the world he wanted DaVonta Smith...duhhh  ~X(

I concur - Bob's example in that draft flipped the switch from "improving", to "imploding"
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

TONKA56

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 24, 2024, 11:02:10 AMYou gotta know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em. The draft is a little bit of poker and Gettleman couldn't play poker worth a damn. He held pocket Aces and folded...not to mention, broadcasted to the world he wanted DaVonta Smith...duhhh  ~X(

I concur - Bob's example in that draft flipped the switch from "improving", to "imploding"

It's not the first time. Reese did a similar thing in 2014 when he wanted Doug Martin, but Martin was sniped by Tampa, so he panicked and took David Wilson. 

EDjohnst1981

There's been so many disastrous moves over the last decade it's hard to pick one.

I can't say missing out on a pint sized, albeit good WR, is the critical one.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on March 24, 2024, 12:47:35 PMThere's been so many disastrous moves over the last decade it's hard to pick one.

I can't say missing out on a pint sized, albeit good WR, is the critical one.

Agreed. The past decade-plus were wrought with so many horrible decisions. It's impossible to isolate just one. Isolating one sort of implies that had they gotten that one thing right, things would have been a lot different. I don't view that as being the case, myself. There were countless terrible decisions that hurt the team for years. If a single one of them had been done correctly, we'd still have been awful this whole time. There were too many other terrible ones. It has been one disaster after another.

I know the above sounds like a really grim, miserable take, but it is simply the truth.

Bob In PA

You can look at it as just one error, but I see it as three. Tic Tac Doh!!!   :doh:

Jclayton92

I think without a doubt that was a disaster picking Toney but for me it was before that in 2019.

Reaching for Jones in 2019 instead of bolstering both lines and waiting on 2020 which was the best draft class for Qbs since Eli's class was the defining mistake of this past 10 years.

AZGiantFan

You didn't specify drafting mistake so I am going with hiring Gettleman as GM.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 24, 2024, 02:00:00 PMI think without a doubt that was a disaster picking Toney but for me it was before that in 2019.

Reaching for Jones in 2019 instead of bolstering both lines and waiting on 2020 which was the best draft class for Qbs since Eli's class was the defining mistake of this past 10 years.
J: That's on my top-10 list of recent disasters but much lower.

We don't know who they would have drafted instead of Jones. The next five PLAYERS picked were Josh Allen, TJ Hockenson, Ed Oliver, Devin Bush, Jonah Williams. The next five LINEMEN were Jonah Williams (obviously), Chris Lindstrom, Garrett Bradbury, Andre Dillard and Tytus Howard.

I'd bet fewer than five people here ever heard of most of those O-linemen (mainly because, except for Lindstrom, they all proved to be not-so-good. IMO,  the odds of hitting on an OL instead of Jones were IMO slim-to-none.

Concerning what a talentless 1st-round 2019 was... https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-regrading-2019-nfl-draft

IMO this year could turn out to be a repeat of 2019 (for QB's, at least). There's a good chance if they pick a QB, he'll turn out to be not worth spending a high 1st-rounder.