News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF ranks the Giants’ offensive line last in the NFL

Started by LennG, May 13, 2024, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession, PSUBeirut, uconnjack8, gregf and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on Today at 01:53:41 PMThat's a lot easier to do when you are playing behind a very good OL and not an historically bad OL.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/offensive-line-rankings-and-tiers-end-of-nfl-season-review-2024-offensive-line-outlook/
When y'all are crying because they didnt draft a QB, Ill be there to provide comfort and shelter from the storm.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 01:55:04 PMAnd the beat goes on...

And it will continue to go on until the Giants demonstrate that they can field a decent (i.e., not top ten, but is hoping for not bottom ten too much to ask?) offensive line.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 01:57:36 PMWhen y'all are crying because they didnt draft a QB, Ill be there to provide comfort and shelter from the storm.

You'd be very hard-pressed to find me taking any exception to drafting or not drafting a QB.  I never took a position.

But I apologize for continuing to bring facts, context, and perspective into the discussion.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on Today at 02:03:29 PMYou'd be very hard-pressed to find me taking any exception to drafting or not drafting a QB.  I never took a position.

But I apologize for continuing to bring facts, context, and perspective into the discussion.
Must be nice being neutral. After all the unnecessary sacks taken and illustrated on this site and QB comparison on other teams who managed well, your context is subjective. The Offensive Line was clearly an issue, so was the QB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on Today at 02:03:29 PMYou'd be very hard-pressed to find me taking any exception to drafting or not drafting a QB.  I never took a position.

As it relates to context, should we continue to decouple the Offensive Line from the QB performance? From your posts, I get the impression you believe only the QB benefits from the OL, but fail to acknowledge the OL benefits from sound QB play. If the latter is terrible, it can make the OL appear worse than it is, or at the very least make thier jobs more difficult.  I stumbled across the article below a few years back and kept it to test thier conclusions at the end of each year. I highly encourage you read and consider the points made.  To be clear, I'm not suggesting the Giants OL is great, good, or even average. I acknowledge they stink and negatively impact DJ's performance; however, I also acknowledge DJ's shortcomings contribute to a significant portion of his sacks. IMO, they collectively stunk...

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/are-nfl-quarterbacks-responsible-for-sack-quality 

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 02:15:57 PMMust be nice being neutral. After all the unnecessary sacks taken and illustrated on this site and QB comparison on other teams who managed well, your context is subjective. The Offensive Line was clearly an issue, so was the QB.

I wasn't coping your point, Ed; you just beat me to it.

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on Today at 02:24:24 PMAs it relates to context, should we continue to decouple the Offensive Line from the QB performance? From your posts, I get the impression you believe only the QB benefits from the OL, but fail to acknowledge the OL benefits from sound QB play. If the latter is terrible, it can make the OL appear worse than it is, or at the very least make thier jobs more difficult.  I stumbled across the article below a few years back and kept it to test thier conclusions at the end of each year. I highly encourage you read and consider the points made.  To be clear, I'm not suggesting the Giants OL is great, good, or even average. I acknowledge they stink and negatively impact DJ's performance; however, I also acknowledge DJ's shortcomings contribute to a significant portion of his sacks. IMO, they collectively stunk...

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/are-nfl-quarterbacks-responsible-for-sack-quality 
I was going to drop that point and it's a good one, but I didn't want to have to explain myself in a series of another dozen posts for those in the back of the room.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Doc16LT56

Quote from: kingm56 on Today at 02:24:24 PMAs it relates to context, should we continue to decouple the Offensive Line from the QB performance? From your posts, I get the impression you believe only the QB benefits from the OL, but fail to acknowledge the OL benefits from sound QB play. If the latter is terrible, it can make the OL appear worse than it is, or at the very least make thier jobs more difficult.  I stumbled across the article below a few years back and kept it to test thier conclusions at the end of each year. I highly encourage you read and consider the points made.  To be clear, I'm not suggesting the Giants OL is great, good, or even average. I acknowledge they stink and negatively impact DJ's performance; however, I also acknowledge DJ's shortcomings contribute to a significant portion of his sacks. IMO, they collectively stunk...

You, me, and a few others have been making this point for years now. It just seems to be too complicated a point for some to wrap their heads around. So we end up seeing all those elementary school level posts as if there are no inputs (other than coaching) to an offensive line's performance.

Jclayton92

That article is about EPA, I found another EPA stat the other day that was interesting if not alarming.

1st round QBs to post negative EPA/att in EACH of their first 3 years in the NFL:

Joey Harrington (2002-04)
Kyle Boller (2003-05)
Sam Darnold (2018-20)
Daniel Jones (2019-21)
Zach Wilson (2021-23)
Justin Fields (2021-23)

(since 2000, min 200 att/yr)

Per Warren Sharp