News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PAUL NEWMAN was born 98 years ago today.

Started by MightyGiants, January 26, 2023, 07:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Great actor. Nominated for an Oscar 9 times and should have won more than once (Color of Money).

Nice clip just wasn't long enough to include many of his other memorable roles.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GIANTS1

"you call that cover"

"they brought their blinking toys"

Bill Brown

Quote from: LennG on January 27, 2023, 07:18:35 PMGreat actor. Nominated for an Oscar 9 times and should have won more than once (Absence of Malice).

Nice clip just wasn't long enough to include many of his other memorable roles.

The scene in "Absence of Malice" that takes place in Wilfred Brimley's office is one of my favorite movie scenes. Brimley is great! Totally steals the scene.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

Never saw a movie starring Paul Newman that I didn't like. Not everyone knows his passion outside of acting, was racing. He won four national championships as a driver and eight championships as an owner. He raced Indy cars and even tried out in a NASCAR race...not bad for a guy who didn't even start racing until he was forty-seven years old. One of the things that blows me away is that he won his last race at Lime Rock Park (Grand Prix race track 1.530 miles long with 7 turns) driving a 900-horsepower Corvette. Why so amazing, you ask???? Because he was 81 years old at the time!

And of course, he also started his "Newman's Own" variety of salad dressings, spaghetti sauces, salsas, etc., in which every penny of profits go to charity to help kids. Amazing man, amazing life!

One of my favorite movies of his (he was 75 at the time) and a rather obscure one is "Where the Money is" in which he is a world-class thief rotting away in prison, so he fakes a stroke. After a while, they send him to a nursing home as a vegetable while Linda Fiorentini (girlfriend of Eric Roberts [Julia's brother]) attempts to prove he's faking it. He never moves a muscle until she runs him off a dock in a wheelchair to drown...LOL. The whole movie is sidesplitting funny, and he proves he can still act with the best of them at 75

An excellent summary video that isn't on YouTube
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149367/

One of his best lines ever...the house is surrounded by hundreds of cops, cop car lights flashing everywhere, guns drawn and the police on the horn says, "come out with your hands up, you are surrounded" and Newman replies, "you haven't lived until you hear that[/u]"

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

For me his best role was Fast Eddie Felton in the Hustler

https://youtu.be/bpc3TKhS6MU
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss