News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting semi-famous people you've met by chance

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 09, 2023, 12:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Ever meet someone out of the blue that you don't know, only to find out they are semi-famous and very interesting? I've run into that a couple times

Okay...I'm a smoker. But because of it, I've had the opportunity to meet some very interesting people. One night in Binghamton at one of my favorite hangouts back in the day (Anthony's - now closed), I went out on the patio and sat down at a small table to have a cigarette. A few seconds later, a scraggly looking old guy asked me if he could join me. I said, "of course, make yourself comfortable". He looked like a hobo off the street with ragged, ripped jeans and a beat up old hat, but I didn't care. We got talking, and I asked him where he was from, he said "L.A." and I said, "you're a long way from home". He said he was in town for an award. This piqued my attention and of course I said, "what for?" He said it was for a song he written for a band that was in town that evening. We ended up talking for over a half hour as we smoked three cigarettes each. I asked him if I knew any songs he had written, and he named a few. I said, "Wow, that's amazing". He said he liked songs that didn't have some hidden meaning or trying to be profound and preferred the old doo-whop music. Then he told me he had been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and also told me he was married to Carole King for a few years, and they had a couple of kids together. Looks can be deceiving

Long story short, it was Gerry Goffin (may he R.I.P.) who I had never heard of, but found him to be one of the most interesting people I ever met. Surprisingly, he asked me a lot of questions about myself, where I worked, family, etc. Hell of a nice guy. Not a "hobo"

Another time I was headed for Minneapolis and had a connecting flight in Detroit. I had a couple of hours to kill at the airport and really wanted a cigarette. I tramped around until I found a smoking section at the airport with a small bar. Again, I sat down at a small table and this young "hippie" sat down across from and asked if he could join me, and I said "of course". We got talking and I asked him where he was from, etc. So he said he was headed to do a concert and asked me if I ever heard of the band, "Piebald" and I said, "no". He said, "not surprised unless you're from Boston". Nice guy who was the singer and guitarist in the punk band that was getting known throughout the country. His name was Travis Shettel and was nothing like what I expected of a rock singer. Seemed quite humble

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Sem

Ric, that's a very cool story about meeting Gerry Goffin, what a thrill that would have been. Of course I've heard of him and many of the songs he and Carole King wrote. And meeting him in Binghamton of all places. I'm trying to remember where Anthony's was. Was it on the southside? Or perhaps in or near the Northgate plaza? I'm drawing a blank, although I'm quite sure I've eaten there before.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on February 09, 2023, 01:23:20 PMRic, that's a very cool story about meeting Gerry Goffin, what a thrill that would have been. Of course I've heard of him and many of the songs he and Carole King wrote. And meeting him in Binghamton of all places. I'm trying to remember where Anthony's was. Was it on the southside? Or perhaps in or near the Northgate plaza? I'm drawing a blank, although I'm quite sure I've eaten there before.

Nah, it was across from the old McDonalds at the end of the old K-Mart Plaza in that little parking lot shared by Lupo's S&S Charpit. It's been a variety of restaurants and bars over the years. Now it's a nail salon called Tommy Nails  :crazy:

Anthony is now the head chef at Remlik's Grille & Oyster Bar in that massive building built by the proceeds of one of the biggest scams in history, "Dr. Kilmer's Swamp-Root". Hence the name Remlik is Kilmer spelled backwards

Sem

I have been very fortunate to meet many veteran classic rockers over the years. I have met Alan Parsons on several occasions. I had dinner with him, his wife Lisa, and another couple one evening. And another time my wife and I were invited up to his hotel suite for lunch while in Sparks, Nevada. I also took a very compromising picture of Alan and Lisa in bed together à la Lennon and Yoko, as a joke, after the luncheon.

I've met Todd Rundgren. In fact my wife and I shared an elevator ride with him, (just the three of us), one evening in Syracuse. I had all I could do to keep from going all Kevin Nealon on him, (think SNL skit with Nealon and Sting).

At an after show party I once walked up to the late John Entwistle, who was sitting on a couch between two beautiful women. As I approached him he looked up at me with a look that said, "you've got to be kidding." I read it correctly and just turned and walked away, so I guess that doesn't really count.

One evening in Pennsylvania I met and spoke at length with Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone of the Zombies. That same evening my wife met Al Stewart, (Year of the Cat), and got his autograph.

I hung out one evening at an after show party, with Joey Molland of Badfinger. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. As we were talking he asked me if I wanted a beer. I said sure, I'll get us a couple. He insisted on getting them himself, and when he returned with two Heinekens and realized they needed an opener, he went and found us one, and we stood talking for nearly an hour while drinking our beers.

I once sat at a table of 8 or 10 people along with Denny Laine, (Moody Blues and Wings), as he regaled us with stories of life on the road and in the studio with Paul and Linda McCartney.

Also met and shook hands with Christopher Cross, Mark Farner (Grand Funk), David Pack (Ambrosia), Jack Bruce (Cream), Chester Thompson (Genesis), Ian Bairnson and Stuart Elliott (Alan Parsons Project), and Andrew Latimer and Colin Bass (Camel). Perhaps others I've since forgotten.

Jolly Blue Giant

I don't know if you know Tommy Shiptenko, but he's station manager of Equinox Broadcasting (106.7 FM, 104.5 FM, etc.). He rubs shoulders with a lot of famous musicians throughout the 50;s through 70's. He used to hang out at Anthony's so I got to know him pretty well...that, and his girlfriend was besties with my girlfriend at one time, so I went to his house for a couple parties. He was responsible for setting up concerts throughout Upstate and also for bringing in all the old musicians for the BC Open for many years and knew most of the old musicians personally. Another time I was in Anthony's and Eddie Holman walked in. I thought he was an old NFL lineman. People who knew who he was started clapping at his entrance and of course, Tommy was there and that's the reason he came in the bar in the first place. After the applause died down, he belted out his famous line, "Hey there lonely girl.." and I knew exactly who he was. I always thought the song was sung by a woman with that voice. It didn't seem possible to come out of the mouth of a 300 lb massive black man...LOL

This is Tommy with Chubby Checkers, maybe you know him or heard of him

Sem

I don't remember the name Tommy Shiptenko, but my memory being what it is I've likely heard of him a long time ago and just forgotten.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on February 09, 2023, 01:54:44 PMI have been very fortunate to meet many veteran classic rockers over the years. I have met Alan Parsons on several occasions. I had dinner with him, his wife Lisa, and another couple one evening. And another time my wife and I were invited up to his hotel suite for lunch while in Sparks, Nevada. I also took a very compromising picture of Alan and Lisa in bed together à la Lennon and Yoko, as a joke, after the luncheon.

I've met Todd Rundgren. In fact my wife and I shared an elevator ride with him, (just the three of us), one evening in Syracuse. I had all I could do to keep from going all Kevin Nealon on him, (think SNL skit with Nealon and Sting).

At an after show party I once walked up to the late John Entwistle, who was sitting on a couch between two beautiful women. As I approached him he looked up at me with a look that said, "you've got to be kidding." I read it correctly and just turned and walked away, so I guess that doesn't really count.

One evening in Pennsylvania I met and spoke at length with Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone of the Zombies. That same evening my wife met Al Stewart, (Year of the Cat), and got his autograph.

I hung out one evening at an after show party, with Joey Molland of Badfinger. Couldn't have been a nicer guy. As we were talking he asked me if I wanted a beer. I said sure, I'll get us a couple. He insisted on getting them himself, and when he returned with two Heinekens and realized they needed an opener, he went and found us one, and we stood talking for nearly an hour while drinking our beers.

I once sat at a table of 8 or 10 people along with Denny Laine, (Moody Blues and Wings), as he regaled us with stories of life on the road and in the studio with Paul and Linda McCartney.

Also met and shook hands with Christopher Cross, Mark Farner (Grand Funk), David Pack (Ambrosia), Jack Bruce (Cream), Chester Thompson (Genesis), Ian Bairnson and Stuart Elliott (Alan Parsons Project), and Andrew Latimer and Colin Bass (Camel). Perhaps others I've since forgotten.

Impressive. I remember that SNL skit well...LOL..."Roxanne...". Reminds me of "Only Murders in the Building" scene with Sting and Martin Short are in an elevator together and Sting complains about Short's dog touching his leg and Short tells his dog, "Don't stand so close to Sting"...LOL

If you live in Binghamton and love classic rockers, you should get to know Tommy Shiptenko. Really nice guy. Ask him to show you his collection of autographed pictures. There are hundreds of them. It will shock you. It's worth millions. My favorite one is a poster sized picture of all four Beatles laying on their backs in a boxing ring (signed by each) while Mohammed Ali is standing over them with a mean face like he just knocked them out. It's even more interesting because Ali signed it too, and he signed it "Cassius Clay"

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 09, 2023, 02:18:09 PMImpressive. I remember that SNL skit well...LOL..."Roxanne...". Reminds me of "Only Murders in the Building" scene with Sting and Martin Short are in an elevator together and Sting complains about Short's dog touching his leg and Short tells his dog, "Don't stand so close to Sting"...LOL

If you live in Binghamton and love classic rockers, you should get to know Tommy Shiptenko. Really nice guy. Ask him to show you his collection of autographed pictures. There are hundreds of them. It will shock you. It's worth millions. My favorite one is a poster sized picture of all four Beatles laying on their backs in a boxing ring (signed by each) while Mohammed Ali is standing over them with a mean face like he just knocked them out. It's even more interesting because Ali signed it too, and he signed it "Cassius Clay"

That's quite a collection, but we've been living in California for the past ten years.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on February 09, 2023, 02:27:34 PMThat's quite a collection, but we've been living in California for the past ten years.

Well...guess you probably won't meet Tommy, LOL

Jclayton92

I got into an altercation with the skinny one of the American Pickers TV show duo that was staying at a hotel I was staying at for work. They showed up and the tall skinny one was being obnoxious to the female staff, like feeling up the back of their legs, we are talking about 16-18 year old high school girls that were waitressing at the hotel I was staying at. I was having dinner and drinks at the bar while the skinny one continued acting absurd to the female staff. So I finally got up walked over and asked politely that ge stop and told the young lady she could go as she was near tears, and then he asked me if I was her daddy, before shoving me, and I continued to try to difuse the situation by talking calmly until he invited his biker friends over. It got a little risky but overall it creeps me out seeing older males try to take advantage of a power dynamic between them and younger women especially if they are a celebrity or someone with "status". I see it happen nonstop in my line of work sadly but I tried to do something about it. Thought I was on that what would you do show for a minute once I reacted.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 09, 2023, 03:26:33 PMI got into an altercation with the skinny one of the American Pickers TV show duo that was staying at a hotel I was staying at for work. They showed up and the tall skinny one was being obnoxious to the female staff, like feeling up the back of their legs, we are talking about 16-18 year old high school girls that were waitressing at the hotel I was staying at. I was having dinner and drinks at the bar while the skinny one continued acting absurd to the female staff. So I finally got up walked over and asked politely that ge stop and told the young lady she could go as she was near tears, and then he asked me if I was her daddy, before shoving me, and I continued to try to difuse the situation by talking calmly until he invited his biker friends over. It got a little risky but overall it creeps me out seeing older males try to take advantage of a power dynamic between them and younger women especially if they are a celebrity or someone with "status". I see it happen nonstop in my line of work sadly but I tried to do something about it. Thought I was on that what would you do show for a minute once I reacted.

Reminds me of a time when I was on a business trip in Georgia many years ago. The owner of a business took me to lunch at a steak house and a cute, sexy waitress came over to take our order. When she was done, he slapped her on the ass...pretty hard. She laughed and left. I told him, "I can't believe you did that...if you did something like that in New York, you'd be arrested". He laughed and said, "Georgia girls aren't uptight like your northern girls". That was 30 years ago. I doubt that crap still flies even in Georgia

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 09, 2023, 03:33:58 PMReminds me of a time when I was on a business trip in Georgia many years ago. The owner of a business took me to lunch at a steak house and a cute, sexy waitress came over to take our order. When she was done, he slapped her on the ass...pretty hard. She laughed and left. I told him, "I can't believe you did that...if you did something like that in New York, you'd be arrested". He laughed and said, "Georgia girls aren't uptight like your northern girls". That was 30 years ago. I doubt that crap still flies even in Georgia
I agree completely, I grew up in Mississippi but have lived most of my adult life in Los Angeles, and yeah times have changed everywhere but not everyone.

LennG

Myself, I have had the great pleasure of meeting many people on this board and will always cherish the time and memories that we shared together. Be it just a meeting for watching a game, a dinner, or a weekend BBQ. Maybe they aren't that famous but for me, it was truly an event in my mind and my time with all of them was always special.

When I was a youth and attended many, many Brooklyn Dodger games, I had the pleasure of meeting most of the Dodger team, from Jackie Robinson who I chatted with several times, to The Duke, Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese, and so many others. One day we were waiting behind the Dodger dugout, waiting for the guys to come out for batting practice. This young man was sitting in the boxes, reading the paper, and asked me who my favorite Dodger player was. I was maybe 10 at this time, and I answer, Duke Snider, We chatted for maybe 15-20 minutes mostly him asking me about the Dodgers and my thoughts on that year's team. Little did I know, and only found out later, that that was Vince Scully, the announcer of the Dodger games who really took that time to chat with a 10-year-old boy about the Dodgers.

As a veteran, I have always tried to chat with other veterans, especially the 'old timers' who literally experienced history. None of them are famous and probably would never even want their name in print, but the stories I have heard from them just make me thrilled to chat with them.
I have chatted with a German man I met on a train who fought under General Rommel and was captured and was a prisoner of war here in the States for most of the war. I have chatted with a remarkable gentleman who flew with the Tuskegee Airmen. I have chatted with a good friend who was on the USS Missouri when the Japanese surrendered. I have chatted with several women who were prisoners in Concentration camps and survived, I have chatted with a gentleman who was on the first nuclear submarine and what it was like to have been on that ship, I have chatted with (just last month) a gentleman who was in on the invasion of Okinawa, plus I have chatted with all the guys I know who have served in Viet Nam and all have stories to tell. I have chatted with two separate guys who didn't know each other but both swore that they saw a UFO while doing work on a flight deck and both had the exact same story and again, never met until that particular moment. I have learned so much from all of these men (and women) even though in most people's eyes, they weren't famous, but lived history, and for me, that is what it's all about.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Len, that's a remarkable write up...and hits home =D>