News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Age is such a cruel bitch

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 08, 2023, 12:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Wow, what an inspirational thread! Just turned 54, a bit of a nervous number in that I've lost a number of friends, colleagues, as well as my older brother, at that age. But I've done due diligence last year with check-ups, brain scans, MRIs of my spine, etc. because of the multiple head trauma I experienced during my goalkeeping years on the soccer field. Next month, I'm having a total knee replacement for my left knee, same leg I had complications from Achilles surgery compounded by past ankle fractures which have rendered it an arthritic minefield. Hoping the bionic knee will stabilize my gait some. In turn, the lower back issues which stemmed from all this I hope will be mitigated by my ability to exercise with less pain.

Getting older (NOTE I didn't say old) doesn't mean you are old. I think how the Weezer characterized his dad says it all. If you've still got it between the ears, and think and experience life, even if you're body can't do what it used to, you're still young at heart.

Jackie Gleason cited a quote when he was doing his roller skating skit on The Honeymooners when he said, "It's too bad youth is wasted on young people." Only Audrey Meadows could provide the perfect response, as his dedicated wife Alice, by saying, "You know, Ralph? I don't even mind growing old, just as long as I grow old with you." To which Ralph, in his famous words, replies, "Baby, you're the greatest!"

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MagicRat

Quote from: kartanoman on April 19, 2023, 01:06:41 PMWow, what an inspirational thread! Just turned 54, a bit of a nervous number in that I've lost a number of friends, colleagues, as well as my older brother, at that age. But I've done due diligence last year with check-ups, brain scans, MRIs of my spine, etc. because of the multiple head trauma I experienced during my goalkeeping years on the soccer field. Next month, I'm having a total knee replacement for my left knee, same leg I had complications from Achilles surgery compounded by past ankle fractures which have rendered it an arthritic minefield. Hoping the bionic knee will stabilize my gait some. In turn, the lower back issues which stemmed from all this I hope will be mitigated by my ability to exercise with less pain.

Getting older (NOTE I didn't say old) doesn't mean you are old. I think how the Weezer characterized his dad says it all. If you've still got it between the ears, and think and experience life, even if you're body can't do what it used to, you're still young at heart.

Jackie Gleason cited a quote when he was doing his roller skating skit on The Honeymooners when he said, "It's too bad youth is wasted on young people." Only Audrey Meadows could provide the perfect response, as his dedicated wife Alice, by saying, "You know, Ralph? I don't even mind growing old, just as long as I grow old with you." To which Ralph, in his famous words, replies, "Baby, you're the greatest!"

Peace!
A fellow goalie.......thankfully my keeping career has only left me with some crowns and bridging work.
It was always my dental health that suffered most.....
Smell my cheese you mother!

Bill Brown

""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."