News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Possibly the greatest guitar player to ever live

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 11, 2023, 05:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

We all have our favorites...more me, Eddie Van Halen. However, two guitarists that "all" other players always mention is Roy Clark and Glen Campbell with Clark usually getting the nod. Campbell was known for his singing and personality, but great guitarists (including Eddie Van Halen) went to Glen Campbell for advice and also tried to mimic what Roy could do with a guitar, but failed

I think the biggest reason Roy Clark does not get the credit he deserves is because he was showcased on the TV show, "Hee Haw" that wasn't considered a "great" show and only watched by hayseed hicks and farmers coming in from the chores. Also, most fans of guitar playing are rock lovers and don't look at talent outside their box of interest. However, Roy Clark was incredible, whether boogie-woogie, classical, rock, or virtually any genre. He also played an incredible banjo as well as could fiddle with the best of them. A master of the stringed instruments. Here's a few examples for more than one genre:

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bill Brown

I agree Ric. Both of those gentlemen were great guitar players. My favorite is Mark Knopfler. I think he is a musical genius. Sultans of Swing is one of the best. And James Burton was another of my favorites. He played with Ricky Nelson for years and Elvis for years. I suggest the black and white video of Roy Orberson doing "Pretty Woman" James Burton and Bruce Springsteen have a great duet on it.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

ozzie

I cannot disagree, Roy Clark was just phenomenal.
I am more of a Rock n Roll fan, but I love the guitar, no matter who is playing it. And Roy Clark could play the heck out of one! Like you said too, he could play anything with strings and play it well.
I'm not a fan of country music, but I will say, that genre has some players that can really get smoking on a guitar.
It's funny to hear R&R fans talk about shredding without realizing that you don't have to play Rock music to shred.
Some "Country" guys that could hold their own against anybody:
Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Marty Stuart, Bret Mason, Vince Gill.... and the list goes on.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ozzie on March 11, 2023, 08:37:21 PMI cannot disagree, Roy Clark was just phenomenal.
I am more of a Rock n Roll fan, but I love the guitar, no matter who is playing it. And Roy Clark could play the heck out of one! Like you said too, he could play anything with strings and play it well.
I'm not a fan of country music, but I will say, that genre has some players that can really get smoking on a guitar.
It's funny to hear R&R fans talk about shredding without realizing that you don't have to play Rock music to shred.
Some "Country" guys that could hold their own against anybody:
Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Marty Stuart, Bret Mason, Vince Gill.... and the list goes on.

Few country stars can shred as good as Keith Urban, although John Mayer and Brad Paisley come close. Country music stars and rock stars share a lot of commonalities in music and tend to mimic each other at times. They appreciate each other's genres. I remember when Neil Young tried to cut some country music as did Steven Tyler even though it didn't sell. And of course, country legend Kenny Rogers started out as a rocker (remember, "Just Dropped In To See What Condition Your Condition Was In"). Two of the greatest friends between legends were Alice Cooper and Glen Campbell - couldn't have been on different spectrums of the music world. They moved to Arizona together and lived next door to each other for years. Anyway, all musicians appreciate other musicians' talents regardless of genre, and they know who they look up to when it comes to playing the guitar.

I've been to dozens of rock concerts and dozens of country music concerts and when they play live, there's very little difference. In live performances the country guys rock out compared to the song they put out to air for the radio crowd. They bring the house down and have a deep need to rock it out on stage (well, except for the old country guys...LOL George Strait, Alan Jackson, et all)

Here's a short sample of Urban playing. He doesn't shred in this clip like I've seen him, but he does things with the guitar that most people wouldn't do...like Roy Clark making weird noises with the strings

Together with Urban and Mayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad7lenMmYJI&ab_channel=BUFear1

And this is a nice tribute to Glen Campbell by his closest friend, Alice Cooper

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: