News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Has anyone ever skated on Glice?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 01, 2023, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I read an article that there is an "Ice" skating rink in the tallest building at Hudson Yards (30 Hudson Yards) and that it uses artificial ice. It is not frozen water and is actually a special blend of polymers (plastic). I've read that some hockey players practice on it and like it. The big advantage is upkeep (no need for extensive cooling equipment, can skate in the summer, don't need a Zamboni, etc) The largest ice skating rink in the world is in Mexico City and they use Glice https://www.glicerink.com/what-is-synthetic-ice/

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has ever skated on it and what it's like

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

I've heard of it but have never been on it. Good concept if it feels reasonably close to the real thing.

coggs

Late to the party on this, I have never skated on any artificial ice surface.  There are a few skating/hockey training facilities in the area that have them, although not sure if it is Glice or another brand.  What I have heard from those who have skated is it is a bit more friction that natural ice and it dulls your blades real fast.  Again, not sure on Glice per se, but I am told if you skate on artificial for an hour, you will need a sharpening.  Was speaking to a kid who was on a skating treadmill with artificial.  He bought a pair of used skates for $20 that he uses only for the treadmill.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: coggs on April 05, 2023, 10:52:52 AMLate to the party on this, I have never skated on any artificial ice surface.  There are a few skating/hockey training facilities in the area that have them, although not sure if it is Glice or another brand.  What I have heard from those who have skated is it is a bit more friction that natural ice and it dulls your blades real fast.  Again, not sure on Glice per se, but I am told if you skate on artificial for an hour, you will need a sharpening.  Was speaking to a kid who was on a skating treadmill with artificial.  He bought a pair of used skates for $20 that he uses only for the treadmill.

Wow, I can't imagine a skating treadmill. I've practically fallen on my face many times when just running on them  :o
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: