News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Today I learned some trees have genders

Started by MightyGiants, April 21, 2023, 08:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have lived well over half a century, and I am embarrassed to say that I never knew trees had genders.

The only reason I learned it was I was hearing this story on the radio, blaming too many male trees on the bad allergy seasons as male trees produce the pollen.   I thought, "What sort of nonsensical new-wave bull crap is this?" 

Still, I try to avoid just assuming, so I looked it up and was surprised to learn trees have genders  :doh:

https://woodlandclassroom.com/are-trees-male-female/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 21, 2023, 08:23:08 AMI have lived well over half a century, and I am embarrassed to say that I never knew trees had genders.

The only reason I learned it was I was hearing this story on the radio, blaming too many male trees on the bad allergy seasons as male trees produce the pollen.   I thought, "What sort of nonsensical new-wave bull crap is this?" 

Still, I try to avoid just assuming, so I looked it up and was surprised to learn trees have genders  :doh:

https://woodlandclassroom.com/are-trees-male-female/

Not all plants (trees are a plant, BTW) have genders, but many (most) do. If you've ever tried to grow marijuana, you know that you have to have plants from both sexes and rely on bees to pollinate the plants, and only the female plants can get a person high. Scientists have developed "auto-feminized" seeds so that cross pollination is unnecessary. Some trees carry both genders within their structure so that they can self pollinate. Many do not

One can imagine the horror of our lives if the simple bee was eliminated. Bees are busy little fellers that keep vegetables and fruits on the table

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

I've had a horrible time with allergic coughing the last three weeks so whether it's male, female or gender neutral, it doesn't matter to me.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin