News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

This Week at Churchill Downs for this weekend'ss Kentucky Derby - 4 horses dead

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, May 03, 2023, 09:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

This is bizzare  :what:

Absolutely stunned that these beautiful horses are dying...four of them in four days, all Kentucky Derby Entrants  :-??

Wild on Ice was put down after breaking his leg after coming up lame in practice (Sunday)
Take Charge Briana a 3-year-old filly was also put down after coming up lame (Monday)
Parents Pride died unexpectedly during practice (Wednesday)
Chasing Artie died unexpectedly after practice (Wednesday)

Never heard of such a thing. I remember a few years ago immediately following the main Kentucky Derby race, that a horse was limping afterward, and they shot her on live TV right on the track before tens of thousands of stunned fans after about a 2-minute analysis of what to do, which really made me shake my head and go WTF??

It would seem there could be some way to salvage a horse if for no other reason than breeding stock where horses of that status get tens of thousands of dollars for a single vial of sperm...dittos with filly's eggs. On the other hand, the owners probably have millions coming in insurance claims

Reminds me of the old Far Sides joke that is funny, yet alarming and dismaying at the same time :laugh:  :'(

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Often the fracture splinters and breaks the skin and dirt causes am infection. The weight of a horse on timy legs makes it near impossible for recovery since they can't remain still. There has been cases where amputation and a prosthetic saved the horse.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/why-are-lame-horses-shot-rather-than-treated/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bill Brown

Jolly, unless things have changed thoroughbred horses do not use artificial insemination. Those boys and girls get the real thing. Standardbred horses can use artificial insemination.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."