News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Has the league caught up with Winks D.

Started by beaugestus, September 22, 2023, 02:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaugestus

Let me preface this by saying I am not an Xs and Os guy. And I realize that many of the mistakes made could be due to inexperience. I was happy when they hired him and last year, they were one of the best redzone Ds in the league. But the scores and yardage given up last year and this year, I find it's concerning. Many on the team were enthusiastic about his hiring with the aggressiveness, but maybe being an old Giant fan spoiled with the likes of LT, Strahan, Carson, Banks and Osi who overwhelmed the man across from them. Right now, we have a disenchanted Thibs and an oft injured Ojulari.

Bobby Skinner posted on twitter they are vulnerable to screens which makes sense when you are rushing with 6. cpmments are welcome.

MightyGiants

Quote from: beaugestus on September 22, 2023, 02:26:47 PMLet me preface this by saying I am not an Xs and Os guy. And I realize that many of the mistakes made could be due to inexperience. I was happy when they hired him and last year, they were one of the best redzone Ds in the league. But the scores and yardage given up last year and this year, I find it's concerning. Many on the team were enthusiastic about his hiring with the aggressiveness, but maybe being an old Giant fan spoiled with the likes of LT, Strahan, Carson, Banks and Osi who overwhelmed the man across from them. Right now, we have a disenchanted Thibs and an oft injured Ojulari.

Bobby Skinner posted on twitter they are vulnerable to screens which makes sense when you are rushing with 6. cpmments are welcome.

I listened to Bobby on his podcast.  He said the things with screens is you need to practice them. He said it's about lane integrity similar to covering punts or kickoffs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

beaugestus

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 22, 2023, 02:33:47 PMI listened to Bobby on his podcast.  He said the things with screens is you need to practice them. He said it's about lane integrity similar to covering punts or kickoffs

Rich how much lane integrity can you expect when they rushing 6?

DaveBrown74

My primary concern/worry with Wink is not that the league has figured him out. He's been around for a long time, so people know what his style is. I don't think that's the issue.

The issue is I'm not sure he is adaptable enough. I think he's a terrific coordinator as long as he has the players he needs. That is, two shutdown man corners and at least four or five legitimately good blitzers, if not more. Clearly, the Giants don't have enough of those ingredients right now, and I'm not sure he's capable or willing to sufficiently adapt his approach in a way that best maximizes the talent we do have.

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 22, 2023, 02:33:47 PMI listened to Bobby on his podcast.  He said the things with screens is you need to practice them. He said it's about lane integrity similar to covering punts or kickoffs

On one of those 3rd and longs Pinnock took the wrong lane and took himself out of the play.

Quote from: beaugestus on September 23, 2023, 12:15:33 PMRich how much lane integrity can you expect when they rushing 6?

I think that makes it even more important.

Ed Vette

Quote from: beaugestus on September 22, 2023, 02:26:47 PMLet me preface this by saying I am not an Xs and Os guy. And I realize that many of the mistakes made could be due to inexperience. I was happy when they hired him and last year, they were one of the best redzone Ds in the league. But the scores and yardage given up last year and this year, I find it's concerning. Many on the team were enthusiastic about his hiring with the aggressiveness, but maybe being an old Giant fan spoiled with the likes of LT, Strahan, Carson, Banks and Osi who overwhelmed the man across from them. Right now, we have a disenchanted Thibs and an oft injured Ojulari.

Watch the QB Coach Podcast I put up on Purdy. He mentioned twice that he didn't know what the heck the Giants were thinking with all those blitzes opening up the Hot Read, which btw Purdy excels at.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DragonSoul

Think they started playing better, this past weeks issue was the horrible tackling and angles taking.

uconnjack8

Winks D will be fine if the rookie CBs turnout to both be solid players. 

Trench

Wink defense is fine. It's the lack of pass rush and improper tackling which plagued him

Jaime

Wink can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh** =))
Our GM JS kind of forgot that, with how our Pass Rush is looking. And please forget the Cards Game. On another Tread, I said they were a five win Team,
Well, I'd  like to revise that # to a three win Team. Likely they'll get the 1st Overall Pick.

We don't have a legit pass rushing DE on our Roster. I'm totally past buying into these highly Drafted OLB's trying to impersonate LT.
And the 10 Mill FA MLB Okereke is a huge waste of Cap space. The guy came in with a Rep of being a sideline to sideline Tackle machine that could pressure
the QB.  Ha, he's just another LB making Tackles 10 yards downfield on Run plays.

Rambo89

Quote from: Jaime on September 24, 2023, 01:45:25 AMWink can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh** =))
Our GM JS kind of forgot that, with how our Pass Rush is looking. And please forget the Cards Game. On another Tread, I said they were a five win Team,
Well, I'd  like to revise that # to a three win Team. Likely they'll get the 1st Overall Pick.

We don't have a legit pass rushing DE on our Roster. I'm totally past buying into these highly Drafted OLB's trying to impersonate LT.
And the 10 Mill FA MLB Okereke is a huge waste of Cap space. The guy came in with a Rep of being a sideline to sideline Tackle machine that could pressure
the QB.  Ha, he's just another LB making Tackles 10 yards downfield on Run plays.

I don't think Schoen forgot that.  Don't think he would have spent the 5th overall pick on a pass rusher and another first round pick on the defense if he didn't believe that.  I think it's more a matter of the players he brought in not being good enough to execute to this point.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

Wink did bring maximum pressure against the 49rs.  His Defense was left on the field far to much by an offense which refused to run the ball and keep the clock running. Defense was on the field for 66% of the game

This loss was on the coaches and the offense
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 24, 2023, 05:06:23 PMWink did bring maximum pressure against the 49rs.  His Defense was left on the field far to much by an offense which refused to run the ball and keep the clock running. Defense was on the field for 66% of the game

This loss was on the coaches and the offense

The defense was left on the field because they couldn't get off the field on their own.  That's on them not the offense.

The loss was on the talent gap between the two teams.  Anyone could see that and knew that going into the game.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 24, 2023, 05:09:46 PMThe defense was left on the field because they couldn't get off the field on their own.  That's on them not the offense.

The loss was on the talent gap between the two teams.  Anyone could see that and knew that going into the game.

little bit of both but the offense ball control result was a ton of punting
Jamie punted well but probably had to ice his leg afterwards
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 24, 2023, 05:20:43 PMlittle bit of both but the offense ball control result was a ton of punting
Jamie punted well but probably had to ice his leg afterwards

The Giants ran 46 offensive plays.  Hard to run offensive plays when your defense can't get off the field.