News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eagles coach- "the tush push makes it feel like 1st and 9 instead of 1st and 10"

Started by MightyGiants, October 23, 2023, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

JPAFootball
@jasrifootball
𝗧𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚: #Eagles HC Nick Sirianni says having the tush push makes it feel like 1st and 9 instead of 1st and 10...

"Every first down is 1st and 9. We have a lot of confidence in that play."

"People can't do it like we can do it. Don't ban this play. If everybody could do it, everybody would do it."

(H/T:
@RalphVacchiano
)

https://x.com/jasrifootball/status/1716304395309027495?s=20

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

I do not like the play.   One time they actually picked zHurts up and shoved him forward.
Next thing will be getting a lightweight under 15o lbs.  pick him up and throw him over d line for a first down.
Can't hit center or jump using another player on FG try but pick up and push Qb forward. What's the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

I have no issue with it. I see teams (including us) punt, kick or get stuffed on 4th and 1 all the time. If this play were truly indefensible then as Sirriani says everyone would do it.

I don't like the Eagles any more than the next guy here, but you don't ban a play because one team happens to be very good at it.

Woody

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 23, 2023, 06:46:31 PMI have no issue with it. I see teams (including us) punt, kick or get stuffed on 4th and 1 all the time. If this play were truly indefensible then as Sirriani says everyone would do it.

I don't like the Eagles any more than the next guy here, but you don't ban a play because one team happens to be very good at it.
I am not suggesting it be banned because of one team.   I just don't think the play should resemble rugby more than football

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Woody on October 23, 2023, 07:27:11 PMI am not suggesting it be banned because of one team.   I just don't think the play should resemble rugby more than football

The two sports have tons of similarities so I don't fully understand the point.

Just to be clear, do you want it banned?

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 23, 2023, 07:36:47 PMThe two sports have tons of similarities so I don't fully understand the point.

Just to be clear, do you want it banned?

i want to know how they are doing it....someone said kelce is planting the ball half way into the neutral zone and they are not calling it

also Hurts has tremendous leg strength, he waits for the opening and does not strike immediately
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

ozzie

Minnesota tried it last night and Fred Warner dove over the LOS and kept Cousins from getting anywhere. He timed it perfectly and looked like that kid from Mighty's previous thread about this.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Gmo11

If they are going to forbid the defense from pushing from the other side, which as I understand it they currently are not allowed to do, then the offense shouldn't be allowed to do it either.  If the defense can also push then fine, but I imagine if they were allowed to they'd have done it by now. 

files58

It's been said that all kinds of stuff(sic) happens in an American football LOS pileup. The tush push hasto really piss off the defense. How is it that Hurts doesn't come out of the pile with a couple of fingers resembling right triangles. That's how you stop it. (I don't know how it happened, it's a train wreck in the pile) F$ck the iggles.

Uni

It should be out because of Siriani's comments. Once the league starts figuring it out (which won't be too long), then 1st and 10 will turn into 1st and 9. Eventually every team will be able to get 1 yard, which means the 4th and 1 play has no suspense. It took a while, but they moved the PT back because it was so automatic.

BluesCruz

Philly has mastered the "Brotherly Shove".  So be it

I want to see Kelce called for advancing the ball pre-snap....if indeed he has been doing it

Opponents have commented on this
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kartanoman

Lots of emotion on this thread about the Iggles, more so, than the play itself. Maybe a hint of misplaced aggression, folks?

Walter Camp is probably looking down and shaking his head in disbelief. For all the rules development in the early years of the gridiron code, seeing the evolution of the game as it exists today, and seeing the Iggles play off the 2005 rules change to the extreme we are seeing it today, the man is grumbling more now than he was when President Theodore Roosevelt kept pestering him to legalize the forward pass in 1906.

But as is a certain game plan, which sits in the Pro Football Hall of Fame today, from a certain Super Bowl, by a certain defensive coordinator we now know as the head coach of the New England Patriots, we are reminded that for every effectively planned attack, an equal or better planned counterattack can be created and implemented to neutralize or defeat what appeared to be unstoppable force in the first place.

So let your opinions of the Turnpike Rivals, and their head coach, stand on their own merit. But the "throwback-like" play, which has the look and feel of something drawn in the mud in early years of our gridiron football code, has an unmistaken appearance of a "Rugby" code play. After all, the genetics of gridiron have the Rugby and Association Football (i.e. soccer) codes in its make-up.

The Iggles, and their head-coach, on the other hand, have genetic material whose origins have yet to be determined. Rumors have been spread an alien city lies beneath the cesspool their stadium sits on top of. If you see strange lights hovering over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and suddenly zoom away and disappear through the walls of that stadium then, well, you know ... maybe it's better we don't know.

Iggles plain suck and the 49ers are going kick their a$$es to kingdom come when they play in week 13.

Peace!

Can you imagine the Iggles in late 19th century uniforms attempting to "Tush-Push"

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

PSUBeirut