News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thibs

Started by B1GBLUE, October 23, 2023, 10:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 23, 2023, 11:16:38 AMAfter a very promising rookie year where he played with fire, hustled to the ball and was surprisingly vocal with his teammates he's been the exact opposite this year. Sacks are just sacks. Sometimes a guy is kicking ass and doesn't have many, and sometimes a guy has a bunch while being otherwise invisible. His demeanor on the sidelines is night and day. Last year, he's up and down the sidelines and fully into the game. Guys loved him. This year? He just sits on the bench looking depressed.

Aces: So you see him as the "emotional" equivalent of Eli Manning... (remember the "doh" look he used to get?). LOL

Consider that HE may be as disappointed in himself as you are.

I don't look for "fire" in football, just results, and, like you, I'll still waiting.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 23, 2023, 11:35:34 AMThibs demeanor reminds me of someone in a bad relationship, that's out doing something that should be really fun but they can't enjoy it because they hate the person so much. So they just sit there stewing.

I don't know who or what Thibs hates or maybe I'm way off base, but that's what I see.

Here's the link I was referencing from LPG:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1703538777115996536

Thibs did address this

"There's always narratives put out, but when you're in a situation where the fate of the game lands on one drive or one situation, and you're kind of those people, right? The defense are the guys who are looked to to answer that [touchdown by Barkley]," Thibodeaux said Tuesday at the team's hotel in Tempe, Ariz. "The only person I look to is God, right? So, I'm sitting in that moment, and I'm praying, and I'm kind of, I guess you would say meditating and visualizing what we're going to do as a team. For me, it's kind of like there are too many people that wake up and want to put negativity out there. For us to come back and win a game, it's nothing but positive. For a defense, everybody just wants to be able to make that play when the time does come. I think it's more of a visualization and a meditation thing that, hopefully I don't ever have to answer to something like that in the future."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

I'm not saying the expectations are the same because of where they were each drafted, respectively, but Michael Strahan didn't notch a 10 sack season until his FIFTH year in the league.  Also, Thibs was a junior when he came out and will turn just 23 in December. 

TDToomer

Thibs holds onto that gift pick-6 and the game never comes down to the wire are we even discussing him negatively today?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

sooners56

For me, the majority of his sacks/plays are due to not being blocked or another player making a play and Thibs is there to clean up. I haven't really seen him dominate a lineman and make an incredible play. I did see him come through like Superman and miss a sack in the Bills game  that impressed me even though Allen slipped his grasp.

Something I noticed during the Washington game is Thibs didn't seem to celebrate with Dex or the team when him and Dex got a sack. I seem to remember Thibs always doing a crazy celebration after making a play. Maybe he felt like he didn't actually make the play so that's why he wasn't celebrating but he should have celebrated with the team. Just seemed odd to me but I could be thinking too hard on that lack of excitement/celebration.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Jclayton92

I think if Thibs is in Graham or even spags defense he's a completely different player. He's not rushing the passer on most plays in Winks d he's taking on a lineman so someone else can get to the qb.

I get there's a perception he's doing nothing but he's on track to have more sacks than any player has had in a Wink D even back to the Baltimore days.

Even the best pass rushers that averaged 15-16 sacks a season at other places only averaged 8 in Winks d because it's more about the team and less about that individual dominant player. I personally think that makes a huge difference.

BluesCruz

Hes improving

Who knows where his ceiling is....yet to be determined
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

B1GBLUE

Quote from: sooners56 on October 23, 2023, 01:43:03 PMFor me, the majority of his sacks/plays are due to not being blocked or another player making a play and Thibs is there to clean up. I haven't really seen him dominate a lineman and make an incredible play. I did see him come through like Superman and miss a sack in the Bills game  that impressed me even though Allen slipped his grasp.

Something I noticed during the Washington game is Thibs didn't seem to celebrate with Dex or the team when him and Dex got a sack. I seem to remember Thibs always doing a crazy celebration after making a play. Maybe he felt like he didn't actually make the play so that's why he wasn't celebrating but he should have celebrated with the team. Just seemed odd to me but I could be thinking too hard on that lack of excitement/celebration.

i think he's in his feelings because he got called out. in the process of being humbled but still in the denial/immature phase of it. "oh they dont love me just for me being me so im not going to give them any love back". winning cures all. he'll come around. he's just a young guy who has never had to deal with not being praised just for breathing. just needs to get over himself and be part of the TEAM. not kayvon and the ten tentacles.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 23, 2023, 01:52:54 PMI think if Thibs is in Graham or even spags defense he's a completely different player. He's not rushing the passer on most plays in Winks d he's taking on a lineman so someone else can get to the qb.

J: I don't know if you agree, but I believe that is a GOOD thing. 

The message to number 5 since he got to the team is/was that they want him on the field every down, and his shortest path to achieving that status is/was to show them they could "trust" him on running plays by consistently setting the edge and finding "new" ways to rush the passer while starting from a "stop the run" mindset. Like Strahan did.

IMO, it's a good thing that will pay dividends eventually (soon, I hope).  I have reason to hope that whenever this team is ready to "peak" (maybe next year?) so will number 5.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 24, 2023, 10:10:57 AMJ: I don't know if you agree, but I believe that is a GOOD thing. 

The message to number 5 since he got to the team is/was that they want him on the field every down, and his shortest path to achieving that status is/was to show them they could "trust" him on running plays by consistently setting the edge and finding "new" ways to rush the passer while starting from a "stop the run" mindset. Like Strahan did.

IMO, it's a good thing that will pay dividends eventually (soon, I hope).  I have reason to hope that whenever this team is ready to "peak" (maybe next year?) so will number 5.

Bob
I agree 100%

Philosophers

Great, Thibs beat an awful Washington OL.  Before that, his sacks are cleanup variety.  When he starts beating real OTs on good OLs, he will get my respect but now he's only a dancer.