News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rank in order of importance returning

Started by Ed Vette, October 24, 2023, 09:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Uni on October 24, 2023, 11:15:03 AMThe depth thing I understand, but is Jackson really better than Hawkins on the outside? He's clearly a downgrade over Flott in the slot

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

He's not a slot guy and was thrown there to develop the young Corners. At this point I do believe he's the better corner. I don't think they sit Adoree.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on October 24, 2023, 11:08:24 AMWhen Thomas and JMS return where does Pugh go? They'll have Pugh, Bredeson, and Glowinski for the two Guard positions. I'm not sure it's automatic that Glow returns to the bench.

But will JMS return this year?
They didn't IR him but no word out on him. Has he spoken to the media?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 24, 2023, 11:25:44 AMI know people don't think he's getting better but Neal is trending in a positive direction especially the past two games before Injury. Because of injury he's just now played 1 full season.

Thomas- to stabilize the left side
JMS- to continue to develop
Neal- to continue to develop
Jackson- I'd rather Flott get the reps
Jones- Tyrod is doing fine
His last game he showed progress. Perhaps this time off will be good for him mentally because that's his biggest problem. Just like Jones. It's all mental.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 24, 2023, 11:24:01 AMWhen you lose a player, it's not really about the talent of the player lost, but rather the gap in talent between the player lost and his replacement.

Thomas-  Thomas is an elite or near-elite LT.  The replacements have been well below average.  The gap here is Grand Cayon like at the critical LT position.

JMS- Brederson hasn't played significantly worse than JMS. However,  Brederson plays better at his natural guard position and the backfill at guard is a downgrade (at least until Pugh was signed and Glowinski stepped up).

Jones-  Tyrod has done an excellent job subbing for Jones, so there isn't much of a dropoff (if any) for now.

Jackson-  I think there is a bit of a dropoff from Jackson to Hawkins.   It's tough to say how much because the Giants have been playing Jackson out of position at slot.

Neal-  Neal has played so poorly, I am not sure it's possible for there to be a dropoff

I think Flott earned his spot in the slot. (Poetically speaking)
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 24, 2023, 11:32:28 AMI think Flott earned his spot in the slot. (Poetically speaking)

Flott's Spot in the Slot sounds like a newly discovered Dr. Seuss book.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 24, 2023, 11:32:28 AMI think Flott earned his spot in the slot. (Poetically speaking)
I've been saying it for a while but the kid is horrible in practice and just a gamer when the whistle blows. You don't really hear about players like that anymore. Typically practice translates to the game but man he's a different player in game.

gregf

Brederson is a good guard, but has been bad at center, except for the last game. The interior I line has been a huge downgrade without JMS.   He stabilizes center and Pugh, Glow Brederson csn round out the inside.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 24, 2023, 09:37:45 AMJones, Thomas, JMS, Neal, Jackson.

I dont think I am going out on a limb here:

1)  Thomas - His return improves more than his position.  Pugh cam slide to LG where he will likely be at least average if not a little better than average. And that allows more help to the right if needed.

2) Jackson - He is better than Hawkins and provides a lot of versatility with Flott playing well in the slot. The defense looks to have turned a corner and adding Jackson should only give Wink more options to mix things up.

3) JMS - playing next to Pugh might help him a bit and he looked the part prior to the injury.

4) Neal - started to see progress and if that continues it would be a huge boost.

5) Jones - TT seems to see the field and the defense better.  Results are pretty similar though.

kingm56

1. Thomas – The perceived 'improvements' to our offensive line are not supported by the data (e.g. pressures and sacks allowed); Pugh made Chase Young look like an AP, while I suspect Young would have been inept against Thomas...getting a legit AP LT back will solidify the line.

2. Jackson – In the modern era, teams pass at a greater frequency than run; thus, you can't have enough solid corners.  While the young guys have played well, adding a DB with Jackson's experience and skill will only strengthen an already good unit.

3. JMS – At this point in his very young career, he's not a difference maker, as indicated by his below average PFF score (49).  A change at center has virtually gone unnoticed over the last few weeks.  However, he needs to play in order to continue to improve...

4. Jones – While TT has played better than DJ, he's still a 34 year old QB who's susceptible to injury, at the end of his career.

5. Neal – Unfortunately, there's little drop off between Neal and anyone else the Giants elect to play RT. 

TDToomer

If we are so lucky to have everyone healthy and Pugh is the odd man out we have a solid dependable first man off the bench. Something we have been lacking while waiting forever on with Lemieux and Peart.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs