News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Beatles and new song released this week

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, November 06, 2023, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 05:25:52 PMPSU: I figured there was more than one reason why we seldom disagree here (besides the fact that as PSU fans we obviously know a lot more about football than other members lol).

I, also a big Beatles fan and played in rock bands from age 14 to 41. We always did as many Beatles songs as we thought we could get away with (despite constantly changing "music scenes" including the disco era).

The best of them featured many Beatles songs, including an entire set consisting of the back side of the Abbey Road album from beginning to end. The last song, by the way, is called "The End." lol

We thought a lot of them and their song-writing in particular. Here's just 1 more example of "how much"...

Our bass player was a dead ringer for McCartney. He was such a huge fan that he intentionally learned how to play his standard (right-hand) bass upside down so it would point in the same direction as McCartney's. (McCartney is left-handed and plays a left-handed bass correctly). He eventually got into  two nationally-known Beatles-tribute bands and has traveled the world impersonating McCartney for many years.

Bob

Very cool, Bob!  And yes, us Penn Staters are probably the wisest, most talented, and most humble folks on the Earth.   =))

PSUBeirut

I assume (maybe I shouldn't) that you guys have seen the movie Yesterday, that came out a few years back?  With the unusual and very cool premise that a struggling musician gets hit on his bike and when he comes to he's the only person left in the world that knew the Beatles (as in, they never existed)?  I really loved that movie for lots of reasons and recommend it to any Beatles fan (or really anyone of that generation or lover of music).

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 06, 2023, 08:11:28 PMI assume (maybe I shouldn't) that you guys have seen the movie Yesterday, that came out a few years back?
PSU: It was fun to watch... IMO an A+++ idea which was about B in execution with some nice acting.

But I thought the story was what critics call "uneven."

They should have stuck with a single approach to the subject matter. Instead, they took an idea that begged for treatment as a pure fantasy and for an unknown reason tried to get "real" with it. Like a football team winning the first half with a great ground game then inexplicably deciding to pass the ball for no apparent reason other than change things up.  Other than that, it was still worth seeing more than once.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 06, 2023, 08:11:28 PMI assume (maybe I shouldn't) that you guys have seen the movie Yesterday, that came out a few years back?  With the unusual and very cool premise that a struggling musician gets hit on his bike and when he comes to he's the only person left in the world that knew the Beatles (as in, they never existed)?  I really loved that movie for lots of reasons and recommend it to any Beatles fan (or really anyone of that generation or lover of music).

I saw it when it first came out and loved it...mainly because of the singing. The two highlights for me was when he returned from the accident and sang a very moving rendition of "Yesterday" with missing front teeth from the accident and with more feeling than when the Beatles sang it because the words are so apropos to his personal life at the time...and of course, when he discovers he's in a different universe where no one has ever heard of the Beatles...then again with "The Long and Winding Road" when competing with Ed Sheeran

BTW, both McCartney and Ringo approved of the film and the Beatles' record group received 10 million dollars for approving the rights to the songs

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 07, 2023, 09:18:14 AMBTW, both McCartney and Ringo approved of the film and the Beatles' record group received 10 million dollars for approving the rights to the songs
Jolly: I'll let you use my songs in your next movie for just 5 million. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 07, 2023, 10:02:56 AMJolly: I'll let you use my songs in your next movie for just 5 million. Bob

=))  =))
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 07, 2023, 12:42:44 AMPSU: It was fun to watch... IMO an A+++ idea which was about B in execution with some nice acting.

But I thought the story was what critics call "uneven."

They should have stuck with a single approach to the subject matter. Instead, they took an idea that begged for treatment as a pure fantasy and for an unknown reason tried to get "real" with it. Like a football team winning the first half with a great ground game then inexplicably deciding to pass the ball for no apparent reason other than change things up.  Other than that, it was still worth seeing more than once.

Bob

Bob, my friend, you may be a great musician, but as a film critic, an amateur. Yesterday was an awesome movie and if you were a fan of the Beatles, it was even more so. Critics are what they are, but this movie had it all, Stick to the music part and leave the film criticizing to the experts, like me.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss