News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT-Today's history lesson-The Gettysburg Address

Started by LennG, November 18, 2023, 11:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Nov 19th (tomorrow) will be the 160 anniversary of maybe the greatest speech ever written and made, the Gettysburg
Address.

https://www.djournal.com/lifestyle/arts-entertainment/this-day-in-history-lincoln-delivers-the-gettysburg-address-sunday-nov-19th/video_a0ba58ca-41fd-52d3-b1cd-d137bf42276e.html

This Day in History: , Lincoln Delivers the Gettysburg Address. November 19, 1863. In just 272 words, President Abraham Lincoln delivered one of the most memorable speeches in American history. The occasion was the dedication of a cemetery for 7,500 soldiers who fell during the Battle of Gettysburg. Lincoln was invited as an afterthought to say "a few appropriate remarks" to consecrate the grounds. His address lasted just two or three minutes. The speech is considered to be the most eloquent articulation of the democratic vision ever written. "... that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

I think, as school kids, we all learned this speech and most basically knew it by heart.

Myself, while watching a documentary on Lincoln and when, in character, he delivered this speech, well it sort of hit the right pot and it does really get to you.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Thank you, Lenn.

I strongly recommend the History Channel documentary, "Lincoln," the next time it is scheduled to appear or, if you purchased their streaming service, "History Vault," which I have, you can watch it on demand. It sets the stage for the Gettysburg Address in such a solemn moment which shows President Lincoln beginning to win over a country who has largely questioned his leadership up til that point in his presidency.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Dgoodmantrublu

I'd also recommend reading Team of Rivals.

Quote from: kartanoman on November 18, 2023, 12:23:20 PMThank you, Lenn.

I strongly recommend the History Channel documentary, "Lincoln," the next time it is scheduled to appear or, if you purchased their streaming service, "History Vault," which I have, you can watch it on demand. It sets the stage for the Gettysburg Address in such a solemn moment which shows President Lincoln beginning to win over a country who has largely questioned his leadership up til that point in his presidency.

Peace!

SlotCorner

I strongly recommend visiting the Gettysburg battlefield if you are anywhere near it. Beautiful facilities and grounds. We hired a guide who brought us around the different important points. Really fun of course educational.

LennG

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 18, 2023, 05:29:32 PMI strongly recommend visiting the Gettysburg battlefield if you are anywhere near it. Beautiful facilities and grounds. We hired a guide who brought us around the different important points. Really fun of course educational.

Great suggestion. Gettysburg is a fantastic visit for anyone interested in the Civil War. I visited many years ago and that set me off on the Civil War. I have tried, in my travels, to visit as many famous battlefields as possible, from Manassas to Antietam, from Fredricksburg to Shiloh, and many others in between.  Last year, we visited many of the smaller battlefields of Lee's retreat before he surrendered at Appomattox. Just fascinating stuff.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss