News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Commanders tanked the season by trading away both edge rushers

Started by MightyGiants, January 07, 2024, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 07, 2024, 07:24:35 PMIt got them the number 2 pick in the draft. 

https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1744152535584199060?s=20
They defensive backs were horrible also. I see them trying to trade with the Bears for local boy, Caleb Williams. And the Bears take Harrison with the second pick as well as more picks from Washington.

londonblue

They did and they will have a QB as a result...and a D that could not stop a HS team. It is easier to put together and adequate D than find a franchise QB so if either Williams/Maye hits they will be better in 2-3 years time but there is no guarantee.

Either way we took ourselves out of realistic contention for either of these guys by playing hard until the end so we will probably be in QB hell again next year which I know is a tough pill for many here to swallow but it is now better to focus on improving the overall roster than to panic and reach for a QB at 6...like Gettleman did with DJ!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

kingm56

Quote from: londonblue on January 08, 2024, 06:04:17 AMThey did and they will have a QB as a result...and a D that could not stop a HS team. It is easier to put together and adequate D than find a franchise QB so if either Williams/Maye hits they will be better in 2-3 years time but there is no guarantee.

Either way we took ourselves out of realistic contention for either of these guys by playing hard until the end so we will probably be in QB hell again next year which I know is a tough pill for many here to swallow but it is now better to focus on improving the overall roster than to panic and reach for a QB at 6...like Gettleman did with DJ!

Exactly.  Do you think the Dolphins fans give a crap the team tanked 4 years ago, now that they have one of the NFL's most prolific offenses? They wouldn't have said offense without the 2019 season.  Its fundamental business/strategic strategy to endure short-term losses for long-term gains. If the Commanders end up with their franchise QB, their fans won't give a crap about this season either. 

DaveBrown74

The term "tank" is broad too. I mean did we "tank" by trading Leo for a 2nd rounder? Because that is precisely what the Commanders did.

Deliberately trying to lose by benching healthy, superior players in favor of scrubs in meaningless games for draft position the way the Eagles did with Hurts (when they played Sudfield) is more sinister tanking. But if you have determined that your season is futile prior to the trade deadline, and you move pieces out that are not part of your long term future, if that's "tanking" then I'm all for that. That's just smart personnel management and doing what is best for your franchise, and there is nothing shady about it. Why would you keep a player around for the final six or seven games if you're not re-signing him and you can get something for him? Why did we keep Barkley for example? Just so we could give him a "proper send-off"? Does that really mean anything? And if we care about him so much, wouldn't the right thing to do have been to move him to a team with a shot at the playoffs and some sort of a run?

Giant Obsession

Washington obviously has a plan.

The word "plan" is a 4 letter word in the Meadowlands.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 06:47:57 AMThe term "tank" is broad too. I mean did we "tank" by trading Leo for a 2nd rounder? Because that is precisely what the Commanders did.

Deliberately trying to lose by benching healthy, superior players in favor of scrubs in meaningless games for draft position the way the Eagles did with Hurts (when they played Sudfield) is more sinister tanking. But if you have determined that your season is futile prior to the trade deadline, and you move pieces out that are not part of your long term future, if that's "tanking" then I'm all for that. That's just smart personnel management and doing what is best for your franchise, and there is nothing shady about it. Why would you keep a player around for the final six or seven games if you're not re-signing him and you can get something for him? Why did we keep Barkley for example? Just so we could give him a "proper send-off"? Does that really mean anything? And if we care about him so much, wouldn't the right thing to do have been to move him to a team with a shot at the playoffs and some sort of a run?

The Giants could have traded Barkley and Mckinney since neither is likely to return.   Had they done that, the Giants future would be much brighter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 06:47:57 AMThe term "tank" is broad too. I mean did we "tank" by trading Leo for a 2nd rounder? Because that is precisely what the Commanders did.

The Eagles completely tanked yesterday off the bus. Thats tanking The Commanders made moves with a plan to add picks smartly in a lost season.

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 07:21:48 AMThe Giants could have traded Barkley and Mckinney since neither is likely to return.   Had they done that, the Giants future would be much brighter.

How can you be so sure with McKinney. He got a game ball for playing every snap. We just saw the last starting safety we let walk for nothing become a Pro Bowler.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on January 08, 2024, 08:54:54 AMHow can you be so sure with McKinney. He got a game ball for playing every snap. We just saw the last starting safety we let walk for nothing become a Pro Bowler.

You are referring to Julian Love.  I had just learned this morning he had made the Pro Bowl (I missed it when I reviewed the list). 

Schoen had this to say about McKinney's return

https://x.com/MadelynBurke/status/1744354326787580056?s=20

Interestingly enough, if I wanted to keep X, I would put the Franchise tag in play but Schoen seemed to indicate that the tag would be associated with Barkley.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 07:21:48 AMThe Giants could have traded Barkley and Mckinney since neither is likely to return.   Had they done that, the Giants future would be much brighter.

Couldn't agree more. Not trading Barkley just so they could "give him a proper send-off" was beyond foolish.

If they're actually planning on signing him then that's even more foolish.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 09:44:27 AMCouldn't agree more. Not trading Barkley just so they could "give him a proper send-off" was beyond foolish.

For over a decade I have been hearing from the Giants' ownership and management how great it is to win meaningless games.  Like being out of the playoffs nearly every year by Halloween is a treat for fans.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 09:56:55 AMFor over a decade I have been hearing from the Giants' ownership and management how great it is to win meaningless games.  Like being out of the playoffs nearly every year by Halloween is a treat for fans.

Plenty of fans agree though.

uconnjack8

How many wins did they have before that trade and after it? 

New ownership probably made some of those calls. 

The Giants played them with those guys twice and beat them I think. 

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 09:44:27 AMCouldn't agree more. Not trading Barkley just so they could "give him a proper send-off" was beyond foolish.

Barkley is another Mara pet. He should have been dealt..but JM did not and muddled I'm sure.