News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

what about the 60s

Started by LennG, January 25, 2024, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Seldom do I completely mistake a voice being sung on the radio, but I heard this the other day and was shocked when I discovered it wasn't the Beatles. I've only heard the song a few times in my life and always thought it was a pretty underappreciated Beatles' song

Nope...looked it up on my "Shazam" app and it practically knocked me over. My first thought was that they were wrong because I know the voice of a Beatle when I hear it...or so I thought anyway
 :doh:  :jawdrop:

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I have several songs by the Kinks that could be mistaken for the Beatles. Sound is remarkably alike.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Saw this on Twitter and thought of this thread.

I wasn't alive during the 60s and hardly consider myself any sort of expert about 60s music, but it's not like I don't appreciate the great bands of that era. I find it bizarre - shocking even - that this tweet didn't have anything from the Beatles in it. Or even the Beach Boys for that matter. Nothing against the songds they picked, but I feel like there were some misses in this:

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1774206469728305443

Jolly Blue Giant

To be fair, there was such a major transition from early 60's to late 60's...the difference so vast, you would never think of them as in the same decade. And the Beatles were a huge part of it. But so did the political spectrum. JFK had been assassinated, and we were up to our necks in Vietnam and nationwide protests. Cutsie songs like "It's My Party", "Judy's Turn To Cry", and "You Don't Own Me", by Leslie Gore...or even "Downtown" by Petula Clark didn't fit in with the mood of the country. The 60's (well...after '66) was all about drugs, Vietnam, politics, and breaking down the establishment. Musicians that tapped into that feeling made out very well

The Beach Boys started in '62, but rose to fame in '63 singing about hot rods, surfing, girls, summer at the beaches, etc. In '65, they released "Pet Sounds" with songs like, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Good Vibrations" that took it up to a different notch. The radical 60s hadn't really taken complete hold yet. Dittos with early Beatles

But you are right about the Beatles, they changed everything about what we thought of music. They really hit the big time when their music crossed the pond into America in '64. They had been a hit in the UK for more than a couple years, but their music never really hit the US until Ed Sullivan brought them over and that was the beginning of everything. It even surprised the Beatles that they were such a big hit and were amazed at the screaming, fainting, pants peeing fans. They didn't get that in the UK where they were popular, but not insane. After hitting the U.S., it didn't matter what they sang, it went to the top of the charts almost instantly from "Help", "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", "I saw her standing there", "Strawberry Fields", etc.

The Stones were jealous, as they were sucking hind-tit to the Beatles, but a whole lot of other English bands came out of nowhere (in America anyway) and made it almost as big..."Who", "Dave Clark Five", "The Hollies", "The Yardbirds", "Kinks", etc

By '67, they changed music again by getting into the psychedelic phase of the lives, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band", "Revolution", "Back in the USSR", etc.

In 1969, a little known fact (as the Beatles were breaking up), but the two bands that sold more records and had more hits than any other groups, were Three Dog Night, and Tommy James and the Shondells.

So to your point, yeah...that chart about the 60's is bogus, and it had to be one person's opinion who had a distaste for the Beatles, Beach Boys, etc. Hell, Elvis Presley was still cutting records and was huge throughout the 60s

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 30, 2024, 09:02:42 PMTo be fair, there was such a major transition from early 60's to late 60's...the difference so vast, you would never think of them as in the same decade. And the Beatles were a huge part of it. But so did the political spectrum. JFK had been assassinated, and we were up to our necks in Vietnam and nationwide protests. Cutsie songs like "It's My Party", "Judy's Turn To Cry", and "You Don't Own Me", by Leslie Gore...or even "Downtown" by Petula Clark didn't fit in with the mood of the country. The 60's (well...after '66) was all about drugs, Vietnam, politics, and breaking down the establishment. Musicians that tapped into that feeling made out very well

The Beach Boys started in '62, but rose to fame in '63 singing about hot rods, surfing, girls, summer at the beaches, etc. In '65, they released "Pet Sounds" with songs like, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Good Vibrations" that took it up to a different notch. The radical 60s hadn't really taken complete hold yet. Dittos with early Beatles

But you are right about the Beatles, they changed everything about what we thought of music. They really hit the big time when their music crossed the pond into America in '64. They had been a hit in the UK for more than a couple years, but their music never really hit the US until Ed Sullivan brought them over and that was the beginning of everything. It even surprised the Beatles that they were such a big hit and were amazed at the screaming, fainting, pants peeing fans. They didn't get that in the UK where they were popular, but not insane. After hitting the U.S., it didn't matter what they sang, it went to the top of the charts almost instantly from "Help", "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", "I saw her standing there", "Strawberry Fields", etc.

The Stones were jealous, as they were sucking hind-tit to the Beatles, but a whole lot of other English bands came out of nowhere (in America anyway) and made it almost as big..."Who", "Dave Clark Five", "The Hollies", "The Yardbirds", "Kinks", etc

By '67, they changed music again by getting into the psychedelic phase of the lives, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band", "Revolution", "Back in the USSR", etc.

In 1969, a little known fact (as the Beatles were breaking up), but the two bands that sold more records and had more hits than any other groups, were Three Dog Night, and Tommy James and the Shondells.

So to your point, yeah...that chart about the 60's is bogus, and it had to be one person's opinion who had a distaste for the Beatles, Beach Boys, etc. Hell, Elvis Presley was still cutting records and was huge throughout the 60s
The Beatles adapted to the times and the mood of the country as they evolved. Then they even did well on their own.

Three Dog Night was the most underrated band from that time period. Bread was the most underappreciated of the 70's.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 30, 2024, 09:02:42 PMTo be fair, there was such a major transition from early 60's to late 60's...the difference so vast, you would never think of them as in the same decade. And the Beatles were a huge part of it. But so did the political spectrum. JFK had been assassinated, and we were up to our necks in Vietnam and nationwide protests. Cutsie songs like "It's My Party", "Judy's Turn To Cry", and "You Don't Own Me", by Leslie Gore...or even "Downtown" by Petula Clark didn't fit in with the mood of the country. The 60's (well...after '66) was all about drugs, Vietnam, politics, and breaking down the establishment. Musicians that tapped into that feeling made out very well

Great rundown JBG. Lots of interesting stuff here, thanks for sharing.

LennG

I am a product of the '60s song environment, s ?Ric said, starting with basically Do Wop from the very early 60's, thru the Beatles, and ending with a psychedelic sound.

I really have no problem with most of the songs on the list as they all were monster hits, except for Put Your Head On My Shoulder, Paint it Black and I Want You Back. Those were good songs but iconic from that year, just not so. Songs like Born To Be Wild became a national anthem for that generation, Pretty Woman is still popular today, California Dreaming, and even What a Wonderful World was a monster hit for Louis Armstrong and again, still popular today.
It is very mysterious why no songs from the Beatles made this list as many, like Michelle, Hey Jude, and several others are standards today, songs by basically everyone who can sing. And the Beach Boys started an era of Sand and Surf songs that, like several Beatles songs, are still around even today.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

LennG

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Jolly Blue Giant

Explaining how the Beatles not only stayed relevant for a decade, they were the most influential musicians of all time, according to some musical engineers.This guy talks about the importance of letting people into their lives through their song writing, no one has done that better than Taylor Swift IMO...anyway

Jolly Blue Giant

The Beatles were not the only group to stop touring to concentrate on writing music and evolving, so did the Beach Boys...well, at least Brian Wilson. Wilson wrote some of the most complex music and mastered writing in harmony in a way no other group had done. Analyzing the harmony of four voices is a subject unto itself. But anyway, they went through a change similar to the Beatles

Breaking down one of their songs. I was 13 yrs old when this song came out and it was the ONLY thing I wanted for Christmas. I remember screaming with joy when I opened one of my gifts and it was a 45 of "Good Vibrations". I think I played it until it turned to chalk...lol

Brian Wilson was a prolific songwriter, having written over 200 songs. The Beatles wrote 229...that are known anyway. I don't know if that includes the one released last year that was put together from scraps. In contrast, Taylor Swift writes all her own songs, both the words and the melody, and has written 221 so far, and is always writing more...not to mention does shows 4 days a week with no undercard and sings for close to 4 hours for a show (and twice that practicing, while writing music on the side and dating Kelce on the other side of the world...busy girl)

The complexity of "Good Vibrations"...bringing in two basses, two piccolos, a flute, an organ, etc...very intricate

Bill Brown

When Brian Wilson was in high school he turned in a music composition and he was given an F for the assignment. That composition turned into the song "Surfin" which became the first single hit for the Beach Boys earning millions. In 2018 the high school principal authorized a grade change to a A on that assignment.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bill Brown on April 01, 2024, 07:55:24 AMWhen Brian Wilson was in high school he turned in a music composition and he was given an F for the assignment. That composition turned into the song "Surfin" which became the first single hit for the Beach Boys earning millions. In 2018 the high school principal authorized a grade change to a A on that assignment.

Bill
Great story Bill, thanks for sharing that

squibber

The 60's had it's silly moments too. Remember doing the Freddy? How about Tiny Tim? Then there was bubble gum music like Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrT_uZOh2E&pp=ygUNRG8gdGhlIGZyZWRkeQ%3D%3D