News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Somebody/Anybody

Started by Giant Obsession, November 06, 2023, 12:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

To me, very simply the Cards had benched Dobbs and put him on the available market.

Fine that Jones had been cleared and was now available to start.  That still left us with only DeVito as a backup. 

Dobbs had started and at least showed some talent for the position before being relegated to the bench.

Meanwhile the Giants are scurrying around giving the likes of Matt Barkley a tryout and ultimately a contract and a place on the practice squad.

What makes no sense to me is WHY if Dobbs is on the market and the Giants in REALITY need a backup did we not grab Dobbs.

I am not talking hindsight here.  For next to no loss of draft capital the Giants could have acquired a QB, a young QB mind you, with at least some professional experience to plug and play if necessary.  Not like we did against the Jets.

I have to believe Dobbs is at minimum a much better pro level QB than a green, untrusted DeVito.

And those facts hold true without any use of hindsight.

Very little risk, possibly no future reward, but then again...

Why take the chance you ask and give up a 5th or 6th round draft choice for a roster necessity ??

WELL, if that is the stumbling block......

Why give up a 3rd rounder for a 31 year old oft injured TE when you are supposed to be rebuilding  ??

Why sign then jettison an experienced accomplished PR and competent WR without even giving him a try?

Why keep trotting out a damn good K with a bad PLANT leg for half a season, ultimately costing us 2 wins ?  With NO backup plan.

These are not hindsight questions....these are COMMON SENSE questions.

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

GloryDays

What is this obsession with Caleb, as if he is Joe Burrow?!! I have watched him in a few games and he seems to have some issues, definitely not a top-5 talent, imo.

SlotCorner

If the Giants had a crystal ball and could tell the future, getting Dobbs would make sense. Who knew Jones was going to have a season-ending injury? Plus, you'd get Taylor back in 3 games and you still have DeVito.

And look, the Giants are in rebuilding mode, AGAIN. They sold off Williams because they knew they were not going to pay his asking after this year, but a contending team doesn't trade one its best DL with a lot of the season left. Trading assets for a journeyman QB so he can win you one or two more games doesn't make a ton of sense.

And I disagree with the assessment that Schoen is bad at picking players. Everyone has misses, but his ledger is still in the black.

Symphony Steve

...(with apologies to Todd Rungren)

"Somehow, someday, we need just one victory
and we're on our way":

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GloryDays on November 06, 2023, 05:10:58 PMWhat is this obsession with Caleb, as if he is Joe Burrow?!! I have watched him in a few games and he seems to have some issues, definitely not a top-5 talent, imo.

Which QBs playing in college right now strike you as better?

Gmo11

Quote from: GloryDays on November 06, 2023, 05:10:58 PMWhat is this obsession with Caleb, as if he is Joe Burrow?!! I have watched him in a few games and he seems to have some issues, definitely not a top-5 talent, imo.

He's going to be the #1 pick in the draft unless he gets some sort of debilitating injury. And even then...maybe. So it's not just people here it's across the football world. He's off the charts talented. We'll see what happens in the NFL but there's very little doubt he's going to be the #1 pick to somebody... hopefully the Giants.

SUPERSEE

obsession is right .. and wrong. thinking any rookie qb is going to come in and fight the ship is wishful thinking at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: SUPERSEE on November 06, 2023, 08:11:40 PMobsession is right .. and wrong. thinking any rookie qb is going to come in and fight the ship is wishful thinking at best

Obviously no player at any position is even guaranteed to be a competent starter, let alone to save a franchise.

But some prospects are more promising than others. This guy happens to be one of the more promising QB prospects we have seen in the last couple of years. Could he be a total bust? Of course. But so could anybody. So what?

Dgoodmantrublu

Franchise QBs turn teams around all the time. If they are the right guy.

LennG

Leave it to the Giants to win the last game against a Philly team that is resting everyone and we lose our once again
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Gmo11

Quote from: SUPERSEE on November 06, 2023, 08:11:40 PMobsession is right .. and wrong. thinking any rookie qb is going to come in and fight the ship is wishful thinking at best

Seems to have worked out pretty well for the Texans.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on November 06, 2023, 09:08:18 PMLeave it to the Giants to win the last game against a Philly team that is resting everyone and we lose our once again

Yes. And they'll pat themselves on the back about it and talk about "building a winning culture" and how that win will "carry into next year" etc.

kingm56

I suspect you're not paying attention to recent NFL trends; drafting the right QB can fundamentally change your teams trajectory.  Just off the top of my head:

1.   CJ Stroud – In just 8 games, Houston already has one more win than last year and competing for a wildcard.
2.   Robert Griffin – Went from 5-11 to 10-6 and a playoff berth; too bad he got injured
3.   Cam Newton – Went from 6-10 to 12-4 in a year
4.   Justin Herbert – Went from 5-11 to 7-9, 9-8, 10-7
5.   Russel Wilson – Went for 7-9 to 11-5 and a playoffs; won a SB a year later
6.   Joe Burrow – Went from 2-4 to 10-7 in his first full year as a starter (injured during his rookie year)
7.   Anthony Richardson – Was 2-2 on a team that was 4-12-1 last season; they looked very competent before he was injured
8.   Mahomes – KC was a good team; however, since Mahomes arrived, the Chiefs have played in 5 straight Championship games and won two SBs, which a big improvements over a teams that could never get past a divisional round
9.   Trevor Lawrence – Went from 1-15 to 3-14 to 9-8 (Playoffs); currently on pace for a 13-4 record
10.    Andrew Luck - Took a 2-14 team to 11-5 and playoff run.

The game has fundamentally changed; QBs typically demonstrate their abilities after 20-to-26 games.  It no longer takes multiple years for QBs to develop; to that point, drafting the right QB can quickly change a team's trajectory.

BTW, what's the alternative, to retain DJ and hope he magically becomes something he's never been in YEAR SIX? IMO, this is an unwise COA. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on November 07, 2023, 06:45:56 AMBTW, what's the alternative, to retain DJ and hope he magically becomes something he's never been? IMO, this is an unwise COA. 

This is the part I'm struggling to understand as well.

Obviously, no QB you draft is a guarantee to be good. Far from it. That's a given and everyone knows that. But that doesn't mean you don't draft one in this situation. What alternative are people suggesting? That we draft a run stuffing defensive tackle 4th overall and roll out a hobbled DJ (who, let's face facts, played terribly this year other than two quarters against one of the two worst teams in football playing without their best defensive player) and Taylor again? Is that really a better plan than taking a shot on one of these top QB prospects after doing our due diligence? 

Torus34

Both the New Jersey Giants and the New Jersey Jets teams have the pleasure of playing football while watching mega-buck quarterbacks standing idly on the sidelines for the rest of the season.

It's a bit like walking to work while Mercedes, Bentleys and Rolls Royce's glide past you.

Regards, and keep the faith.