News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some interesting interview answers from new RB Tracy

Started by MightyGiants, May 05, 2024, 09:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

After transferring from Iowa to Purdue, you transitioned from wide receiver to running back. It was a swift, successful transition, with you rushing for 716 yards and eight touchdowns this season. What allowed you to make such a smooth transition?

Tyrone Tracy Jr.: I would say coaching and natural God-given ability. To start with the coaching aspect of it, head coach Ryan Walters, the offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, and running backs coach Lamar Conard–all placed their faith and trust in me.

They allowed me to be myself on the field. They didn't place any restrictions on me. They allowed me to go full throttle. Most importantly, they allowed me to make mistakes along the way. They gave me a chance to correct those mistakes. They didn't place me on a short leash. They allowed me to play through it and be my authentic self.

Regarding my God-given ability, I've had experience with the running back position my entire life. When I got out there on the field, going from receiver to running back wasn't totally foreign to me. It was no different from what I did in high school, just a little more detailed. I had to focus more on the fundamentals.

I also had to jump into the film room a little more. My film study of the running back position had to grow. I had to step up my knowledge of the position to play at a higher level.

How do you think that background as a wide receiver has helped you play the running back position at a higher level?

Tyrone Tracy Jr.: It was huge. It helped me get comfortable faster. I've only been playing the position full-time for a little over a year now. I started making the change in April of last year. It's literally been one year and one month.

I feel great because I've had some experience with the position my entire life, as I said earlier. It allowed me to get comfortable in the backfield. Once you're making that change from a new position, it's natural to have some worry and doubt in your mind at the very beginning of the change.

It took a while, but I would estimate I got the hang of it around mid-spring last year. I got my confidence. I noticed I was starting to make plays with more consistency. I was generating explosive plays. I started doing everything I wanted to do at the position.

The background of playing football from a young age, both the wide receiver and running back positions, that helped me tremendously.

You run the football with terrific contact balance. You forced 46 missed tackles on just 113 carries and finished fourth in the country in yards after contact per rush. How did you develop that area of your game?

Tyrone Tracy Jr.: Wow, that's a great question! I would credit my training. I do a lot of balanced-based stuff. When I'm in the weight room during the offseason, I'm still doing balance stuff. I use different exercise balls and foam mats to challenge my body. I know it's going to benefit me on the field.

I try to stay on my feet--that's the truth. Sometimes it's that simple. I don't want to let one person tackle me. I try to gain as many yards as I can. I try to counterbalance the types of hits I'm getting. I don't want to get tackled. Who wants to get tackled? (laughs).

You can read the rest of the interview here

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/giants-tyrone-tracy-position-switch-bowling
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE