News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Round one non-Giants draft discussion thread

Started by MightyGiants, April 25, 2024, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:55:05 PMOkay cool, thank you for being intellectually honest with your answer, that means a lot.

Let's see what happens this year, and lets hope for a bounce back year for DJ and the team

I'm 100% on. I'm just being negative is all. I've been let down too many times by Jones. But hey, I used to say that about Simms too and look how that panned out

H-Town G-Fan

I love how the pick of the top WR on the board instead of the 4th QB is a jumping off point for (unnecessary, unprompted) Jones defense. Wild.

Trench

Quote from: todge on April 25, 2024, 09:59:21 PMIt wasn't the same OL. The most important piece was Thomas and he was out. Bredeson was terrible and ultimately replaced by Pugh.

DeVito faced two of the worst teams in the league. He flopped after that and Taylor returned. But both backups didn't have to face the best teams in the league with superior pass rushers the first five games.

It looks as if you are saying both Taylor and DeVito are better than Jones. Interesting take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Thomas play with either Devito, Jones or Tyrod at all this year?....im not sure...all I'm saying is Devito and Tyrod 100% moved the ball WAY WAY better than Jones "when it mattered". That's my point

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 25, 2024, 09:56:27 PMI think many believe 2022 was a big time year for Jones and would be delighted and thoroughly satisfied if he and the team did exactly that again.

I agree with you, and this is so refreshing to see.

I've always appreciated your well balanced and reasonable approach, that even though you aren't the biggest DJ fan, if he does bounce back and so does the team you will be thoroughly delighted, and so will I.

Please be well.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 25, 2024, 09:54:46 PMAt least his rookie contract is going to be worth a lot more than if he went were a lot of people thought he would.
I think Atlanta got too cute with the pick and ignored other needs. Bad pick in my opinion for the team and the player.

Rosehill Jimmy

It will be interesting to see how the second half of draft plays out, especially if run on offense continues.  There could be an unexpected plethora of defensive players available for us at 47. But it's getting late so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see

Good night all
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

TONKA56

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 10:02:52 PMDid Thomas play with either Devito, Jones or Tyrod at all this year?....im not sure...all I'm saying is Devito and Tyrod 100% moved the ball WAY WAY better than Jones "when it mattered". That's my point

No matter how awful DeVito's passing was, he had the best pocket awareness of all the quarterbacks on the roster. That ability was kind of special in fact. Obviously that alone isn't enough, but I wish Jones had half of that ability to sense pressure and perceive the rush from the back.

Trench

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 25, 2024, 10:09:40 PMNo matter how awful DeVito's passing was, he had the best pocket awareness of all the quarterbacks on the roster. That ability was kind of special in fact. Obviously that alone isn't enough, but I wish Jones had half of that ability to sense pressure and perceive the rush from the back.

100%

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 10:02:52 PMDid Thomas play with either Devito, Jones or Tyrod at all this year?....im not sure...all I'm saying is Devito and Tyrod 100% moved the ball WAY WAY better than Jones "when it mattered". That's my point

Sigh

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomAn02/gamelog/2023/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

killarich

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 10:02:11 PMI love how the pick of the top WR on the board instead of the 4th QB is a jumping off point for (unnecessary, unprompted) Jones defense. Wild.

No you are making a false narrative out of it

You say you are done discussing this but here you are trying to get the last word

one again it is FACT if the Giants were DONE with Jones they would have taken one fo the 2nd tier QBs in this draft regardless of who is available at WR

they did in FACT view #1 WR as  bigger need then moving on from Jones considering the top 3QBs were gone

You are trying to throw this Jones narrative on a wall and hoping it sticks .... did Giants want ti IMPROVE over Jones yes probably most likely

are they DONE with Jones ? No they obviously arent

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: killarich on April 25, 2024, 10:14:01 PMNo you are making a false narrative out of it

You say you are done discussing this but here you are trying to get the last word

one again it is FACT if the Giants were DONE with Jones they would have taken one fo the 2nd tier QBs in this draft regardless of who is available at WR

they did in FACT view #1 WR as  bigger need then moving on from Jones considering the top 3QBs were gone

You are trying to throw this Jones narrative on a wall and hoping it sticks .... did Giants want ti IMPROVE over Jones yes probably most likely

are they DONE with Jones ? No they obviously arent

Again, you can get caught up in a pedantic argument over the term "done with" if it makes you feel better, but it changes nothing. The writing is on the wall. The Nabers pick doesn't change that. Twisting it to make a different point is silly, wasted motion that will be proven (more) foolish in time.

I do agree, however, that we're largely at an impasse trying to parse another man's words against the Giants actions. If this is considered me trying to get the last word, then feel free to follow up. I think we know how each other feels, but I'm frequently wrong about things and would not be surprised to find myself so once again.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on April 25, 2024, 10:04:58 PMI think Atlanta got too cute with the pick and ignored other needs. Bad pick in my opinion for the team and the player.

I agree with you. I just looked at the Cousins contract. They're pretty much stuck with him through 2026. Completely bizarre that they signed him if they were willing to pick Penix in the top 10. Seems like they didn't scout Penix at all during the season, and then they jumped to signed Cousins, then they finally did some due diligence on Penix and fell in love with him.

Crazy way of doing things.

nicky1000

I am happy with Nabers. Need to build the team. Maye would have been nice but we need picks.

jgrangers2

Of course the Eagles end up with their choice of all the cornerbacks

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 25, 2024, 10:20:41 PMI agree with you. I just looked at the Cousins contract. They're pretty much stuck with him through 2026. Completely bizarre that they signed him if they were willing to pick Penix in the top 10. Seems like they didn't scout Penix at all during the season, and then they jumped to signed Cousins, then they finally did some due diligence on Penix and fell in love with him.

Crazy way of doing things.
Maybe after next year, when they realize the error of their ways, Atlanta can trade him Penix to the Giants. They are stuck with Cousin's contract no matter what.