News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

WW2 Admirals

Started by Trench, May 19, 2024, 09:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

Who would you deem our best WW2 Navy Admiral and why? Obviously each had different roles. I'd love to hear if anyone knows any stories about these fine men.

Nimitz
Halsey
Spruance
King

LennG

I have told this story several times but since you asked about Admirals, I can add this.

I had a very good friend who passed away a couple of years ago, who was on the USS Missouri when the Japanese surrendered. When he passed, he was one of 4 others who were still alive from that crew. He was a mar one who was assigned to the Missouri and all they did was train for the invasion of Japan.
So what about the Admiral? Since the Missouri was the flagship of the Pacific fleet, Admiral Halsey was its commander and was always on the ship. My friend used to relate stories to me about how Halsey used to come down and play volleyball with the crew. He always inquired about their families and, to my friend, just seemed like a general good guy. The crew loved him for that. They never knew about the bombs dropped on Japan, but at the end of a day in August 1945, Halsey came on the intercom and told all crew to wear their dress uniforms for the next day, they all knew something was up. When they saw McArthur land on the flight deck word was out that the Japanese were going to surrender.
The Missouri was the last ship to return to the USA, maybe 6 months after the war. It was the flagship and it made its way back visiting many other ports. Halsey always let the men have liberty when ver he was able to.

I can't speak of any military genius about him, but as a Admiral, he was well respected by his crew.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Trench

Thank you very much for sharing that story. I enjoy hearing about that generation