News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Time to resurrect this thread

So let's see what I am watching these days.

I was looking for a good series for myself and my wife, something with no scares, no killings, and no sex all the time, but still for adults. Sure that might make it hard in this day and age, but we found one, and an excellent watch at that. 
"The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix, is a new short series and has become the sort of 'rage' of new things to watch. And, as I said, it is excellent. It is 7 episodes long and we watched it in 3 nights.

If you haven't heard of this, it is about a young orphan girl who is basically a math genius but takes a huge liking to chess. It follows her thru her teen years to young adult and her progress to becoming the world's greatest chess player. Even if you know nothing about chess, the series is fun, sad, and just terribly interesting. Except for some cursing and some very brief sex, it could be watched by the entire family, but young people will never understand it. Just a great watch and I HIGHLY recommend it.

My next watch, which I am watching alone (though my wife should watch this also) was recommended by my daughter. It is "The Travelers" also on Netflix.
This last series is 3 seasons long and I am almost done with season 1. It is science fiction, about people from the future, coming back to take over the bodies and minds of people who have died (they don't kill them to take over their body). BUT, this is NOT a bad thing, as they are on a mission to try and prevent things from happening to Earth in the future, to try and save Earth and probably mankind.  I find this a most interesting premise and, as much as I have seen, I like it. It did get a bit confusing as to who are travelers and parts of the mission they are on, but it sort of explains itself as it goes. I also recommend this show.

Also, as in my thread by this title, I once again, HIGHLY recommend Fargo on FX. I think today's episode is #10 and next to last in this just too brief series, but just another season that has hit on all marks. Just don't know why more people aren't watching this just excellent series. It is quirky in parts and if you really didn't like the movie, Fargo, you may not see the dark humor in this series, but it is truly great TV. It is in season 4, but each season is independent of the others, each with its own cast and story, so you can catch any season and not miss anything, opposed to other series where you need to start to watch from season 1.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on November 22, 2020, 12:29:36 PM
Time to resurrect this thread

My next watch, which I am watching alone (though my wife should watch this also) was recommended by my daughter. It is "The Travelers" also on Netflix.
This last series is 3 seasons long and I am almost done with season 1. It is science fiction, about people from the future, coming back to take over the bodies and minds of people who have died (they don't kill them to take over their body). BUT, this is NOT a bad thing, as they are on a mission to try and prevent things from happening to Earth in the future, to try and save Earth and probably mankind.  I find this a most interesting premise and, as much as I have seen, I like it. It did get a bit confusing as to who are travelers and parts of the mission they are on, but it sort of explains itself as it goes. I also recommend this show.

Len, finally!!  ;) I recommended Travelers multiple times in the past, I'm glad you're checking it out. I enjoyed it quite a bit and felt 3 seasons was just right.

I've heard a lot about Queen's Gambit, and will probably check it out over the winter months.

Fargo is one of those series I know I'd like, (loved the movie), but just haven't seen it yet. You say it's on FX. I'll have to see if I can stream FX shows on-demand with YouTube TV (my current tv provider), and if so I'll start watching it.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on November 22, 2020, 01:04:05 PM
Len, finally!!  ;) I recommended Travelers multiple times in the past, I'm glad you're checking it out. I enjoyed it quite a bit and felt 3 seasons was just right.

I've heard a lot about Queen's Gambit, and will probably check it out over the winter months.

Fargo is one of those series I know I'd like, (loved the movie), but just haven't seen it yet. You say it's on FX. I'll have to see if I can stream FX shows on-demand with YouTube TV (my current tv provider), and if so I'll start watching it.

I also think they advertise it on FX and then Hulu the following day.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on October 15, 2020, 05:04:09 PM
As I believe we have meantioned, yes Dexter had one of the disappointing (and stupidest) endings especially for fans who stuck with it for all those years. There were no lose ends to tie up, it ended very conclusively, just very unsatisfying and if I say more, it might spoil your enjoyment of it.

Since you are onto season 5, I truly felt Season 4 was the best. I never saw it coming in the way they ended Season 4 and that was one of the biggest shocks I got from watching TV dramas. I just never saw that coming. Again, I won't reveal what happened as I don't want to spoil anything for others who might be watching, or who might watch at some future time.

Overall, still a great series, but you will see a sort of decline as you get to the last year or so.

Ok, I finished watching Dexter. I saw the final episode last night. Overall I will say I liked the series, but yes, the way it ended left me disappointed on a few levels. I enjoyed each season, and some were better than others, but to have it end the way it did was just kind of a let down...
Oh well...onto something new. What will I choose next???
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

philo43

Quote from: Sem on November 22, 2020, 01:04:05 PM

Sem,

On the local news, a set of twins from Harpursville are in the Queens Gambit

link to the story:

https://wbng.com/2020/12/04/two-harpursville-natives-star-in-number-one-show-on-netflix-the-queens-gambit/

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on December 10, 2020, 09:03:46 AM
Ok, I finished watching Dexter. I saw the final episode last night. Overall I will say I liked the series, but yes, the way it ended left me disappointed on a few levels. I enjoyed each season, and some were better than others, but to have it end the way it did was just kind of a let down...
Lou

Haw, I told you so. That was one of the worst endings for a truly great series. Overall, as many said, the series should have ended a couple of seasons earlier and it just got to be repetitious, but we fans, stayed with it, only to be truly let down by the way it ended. Now someone said they may resurrect it. Will they bring Dexter home from the wilderness?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

We started watching 'The Crown' on Netflix. We are now into season 2 and I would recommend it to one and all. Not much action, but it is mostly based on fact and we find it fascinating.
For anyone not familiar with The Crown, it is the story of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip and basically starts when her father, King George dies and she takes over The Crown. The mention one this ng in the very beginning that we realized even then, will be the theme of the series. 'No matter how you feel, or what you feel, The Crown takes president over everything".
There has been much publicity recently over the new season as it deals with Princess Diana and Prince Charles and several prominent people have been trying to keep shows from airing as it doesn't portray certain people in a very good light.
Anyway, we like it very much and gives you a GREAT insight in how Britain and it's politics have evolved.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: ozzie on December 10, 2020, 09:03:46 AM
I don't think there is a soul alive who watched that series finale and liked it. Talk about a huge letdown!  :boooo:

I was actually thinking about restarting the entire series as I can't really find anything good on to watch.

If you haven't seen it, and especially if you haven't read the spoiler thread, "Ozark is a great watch.

My wife and I are on Episode 5 of "The Undoing", recommended in another thread. There are spoilers in there as well so I'm avoiding it until we can finish watching it. But it's pretty good so far.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

Feed Phil on Netflix. A nice reminder of days past when you could travel the world and eat with strangers.

LennG

Quote from: katkavage on December 17, 2020, 12:44:45 PM
Feed Phil on Netflix. A nice reminder of days past when you could travel the world and eat with strangers.

Never heard of this one.

What type of show is it?

Charlie Weiss

katkavage

The writer/comedian who created Everybody Loves Raymond goes around the world and eats. Sort of like Anthony Bourdain, but not as dark.

ozzie

Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" has been made and remade too many times to keep track of, but when this time of year rolls around I like to sit and watch it. It doesn't really matter what version, I like to check them all out and just kind of compare them to one another and see the differences.
Last night I watched a version on the FX channel. It was originally aired as a 3 part mini series but now they string it together and list it as a movie.
It stars Guy Pierce as Scrooge and it is quite a different take on the story.
Scrooge is younger than in previous versions and aside from just being a miser, he is a genuinly mean, selfish person. This movie was actually very dark and depressing, going into some of Scrooge's childhood. Plus for some reason, there were probably 10 times they dropped the "F" Bomb! Really?? In A Christmas Carol??
It wasn't a bad movie per se, and the acting was first rate, but such a different spin on the traditional story and not one I will be looking forward to each year.
Have any of you seen this? If you have, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on December 19, 2020, 09:21:51 AM
Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" has been made and remade too many times to keep track of, but when this time of year rolls around I like to sit and watch it. It doesn't really matter what version, I like to check them all out and just kind of compare them to one another and see the differences.
Last night I watched a version on the FX channel. It was originally aired as a 3 part mini series but now they string it together and list it as a movie.
It stars Guy Pierce as Scrooge and it is quite a different take on the story.
Scrooge is younger than in previous versions and aside from just being a miser, he is a genuinly mean, selfish person. This movie was actually very dark and depressing, going into some of Scrooge's childhood. Plus for some reason, there were probably 10 times they dropped the "F" Bomb! Really?? In A Christmas Carol??
It wasn't a bad movie per se, and the acting was first rate, but such a different spin on the traditional story and not one I will be looking forward to each year.
Have any of you seen this? If you have, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.

Lou

Like you, I also try and watch some version of A Christmas Carol sometime during this time of year. No, I have never heard of the version you mentioned and to be honest, I don't know if I could sit thru a mini-series of it.
I, along with so many others, feel the Allister Sims version of A Christmas Carol was the best version, but for my money, I LOVE the George C Scott version also. And, to be very honest, ever since my kids made me watch this many years ago, I also LOVE The Muppetts Christmas Carol.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

When I say "mini series" I think it was three 60-90 minute "chapters", I think as a movie was 2 1\2 hours.
As far as other versions, they're all pretty good but I do like "Scrooge" starring Albert Finney.
They added some music and it was a fun version, a little lighter in mood than some others.

John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on December 19, 2020, 02:38:29 PM
When I say "mini series" I think it was three 60-90 minute "chapters", I think as a movie was 2 1\2 hours.
As far as other versions, they're all pretty good but I do like "Scrooge" starring Albert Finney.
They added some music and it was a fun version, a little lighter in mood than some others.

That's why we all have likes and dislikes. I could never get into those 'musical' versions of A Christmas Carol. Just seemed out of place, but if you liked them, great.

Charlie Weiss