News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen addresses the elephant in the room (he went QB shopping)

Started by MightyGiants, April 27, 2024, 05:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgrangers2

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 28, 2024, 08:24:34 AMAssuming 3 QBs go off 1-2-3, and the Cards took MHJ, that left a pick between Nabers and NYG.  As Gettleman how being a pick away from getting your desired WR (Devanta Smith) works out, when teams know you want him.

But how does making a play for the third pick change this? I highly doubt there was ever a genuine threat of anybody jumping up to still Nabers from them. If anything, the smokescreen was coming from the New England side, who knew they were never moving off the #3 pick, but wanted the rumors out there to try and drum up a Godfather offer from the Giants or Minnesota.

The simplest answer here is that the Giants viewed Drake Maye in a tier above JJ McCarthy so were willing to trade up for Maye but not even take JJ at 6.

Gman329

I applaud Schoen for not panicking and taking one of the lower rated QBs after he couldn't pry Maye from the Pats.  I agree with this post from Mighty:

One thing I heard on a podcast today.  If the Giants drafted a QB just to draft a QB, then you are keeping the team from finding the right QB for the next couple of drafts.

I think JJ would have been DJ all over again - shows just enough to make you believe but never quite gets to the level you're hoping for.  Yes, I know he's "been a winner" - 13 guys from that Michigan team got drafted this weekend.  I think that has a lot to do with the "winning".  I watched a lot of Michigan football this year and never came away from a game thinking JJ was the reason they won.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 28, 2024, 07:38:08 AMI have been thinking.  Perhaps all the public QB shopping and the heavily leaked interest in Maye and QBs in general and the trade with the Pats were all just a smoke screen.  In Schoen's first year all the insiders had reported Thibs was off the NYG's board over character concerns.

The Giants may have really coveted Nabers.  There were reports that Nabers was the number one WR for many teams and that WR, not QB, topped the talent for this year's draft.   So here was Schoen sitting way down at 6 hoping to land the best player of the draft at a position of need.  What better way to pull that off than to make everyone believe the Giants were heavily pursuing a QB, even going so far as to leak it to Rich Eissen, who isn't even an insider?
That goes along with the sentiment of my post.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Just_jimmy

The elephant in the room is that no matter what the Giants do to try and prove DJ is good... he's simply not.

We're in QB hell.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Philosophers

Maybe the Giants felt differently than their fanbase about the need for a QB.  Maybe as simple as that.

Maybe think at best Maye or JJ could be 12th best QB in 2024 but they may get that with DJ.