News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants spent the most draft capital in past 5 years to create the worst O-line

Started by MightyGiants, April 23, 2024, 03:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

As a corollary, it means that the Giants have squandered more of their CAP on rookie linemen than the other teams.  I'm old enough to remember when the Giants had one of, if not the, best OLs in the league and there were no #1s and one #2.  As Edith Bunker used to sing, "Those were the days.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

4 Aces

It's amazing. They've picked Neal, Ezeudu, McKethan and Schmitz, and barely have anything serviceable to show for it.

They better hope Bobby Johnson was a terrible OL Coach.

T200

I think the culprits are, in order:

1 - Scouting (talent identification)
2 - Coaching/player development
3 - Coaching instability/carousel

They tried to make a bacon cheeseburger but bought ground turkey instead of ground beef, thinking they could make it taste the same. They bought lean turkey strips because it looks like bacon. They settled for spinach because they couldn't find lettuce.

They have a gas stove but the chef didn't know how to work it. After burning several burgers, more chefs and ingredients were brought in but to no avail. They know what a good bacon cheeseburger is supposed to look like but collectively they have no clue how to make one like it should be made.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

In my opinion,this is at the heart of why the Giants are a bad team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

Quote from: T200 on April 23, 2024, 09:53:52 PMI think the culprits are, in order:

1 - Scouting (talent identification)
2 - Coaching/player development
3 - Coaching instability/carousel

They tried to make a bacon cheeseburger but bought ground turkey instead of ground beef, thinking they could make it taste the same. They bought lean turkey strips because it looks like bacon. They settled for spinach because they couldn't find lettuce.

They have a gas stove but the chef didn't know how to work it. After burning several burgers, more chefs and ingredients were brought in but to no avail. They know what a good bacon cheeseburger is supposed to look like but collectively they have no clue how to make one like it should be made.

Absolutely. I've said the same thing. The Giants have a deeply systemic problem at every level when it comes to putting a competent offensive line on the field.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 25, 2024, 07:25:40 AMAbsolutely. I've said the same thing. The Giants have a deeply systemic problem at every level when it comes to putting a competent offensive line on the field.

Which makes it puzzling how many seem to be assuming that because the Giants made some moves the Oline will be better.  The Oline is the football that Lucy keeps pulling away from Charlie Brown.

Not slowing my roll

TONKA56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 25, 2024, 02:55:27 PMWhich makes it puzzling how many seem to be assuming that because the Giants made some moves the Oline will be better.  The Oline is the football that Lucy keeps pulling away from Charlie Brown.

That's been the Giants' MO as long as I've been a fan-throw one or two guys at a problem during the off-season and pop the champagne and celebrate the resolution of a problem that's existed for 5-10 years. 

DaveBrown74

Many in the past have made the assertion that we have had terrible O line coaches in recent years. There seems to be general optimism about our new O line coach. The O line was much better last year in Vegas than when he took over in 2022. Maybe he'll be able to get more out of some of the players we already have than what we have seen from them in the recent past.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 25, 2024, 04:29:00 PMMany in the past have made the assertion that we have had terrible O line coaches in recent years. There seems to be general optimism about our new O line coach. The O line was much better last year in Vegas than when he took over in 2022. Maybe he'll be able to get more out of some of the players we already have than what we have seen from them in the recent past.

Oh we've had that football pulled out from under us as well.  "This guy's a great OL coach, he'll fix it", and then pfft.

On this issue I'm an honorary Missourian.  Show me.

Not slowing my roll

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 25, 2024, 04:29:00 PMMany in the past have made the assertion that we have had terrible O line coaches in recent years. There seems to be general optimism about our new O line coach. The O line was much better last year in Vegas than when he took over in 2022. Maybe he'll be able to get more out of some of the players we already have than what we have seen from them in the recent past.
My hopes for an improved line lie squarely on his shoulders.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: