News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I can't help but feel the Giants made a huge blunder in October

Started by MightyGiants, February 22, 2024, 01:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stringer Bell

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on February 24, 2024, 10:07:58 AMMy best guess on not trading Saquon at that time:

Two words - John Mara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why is everyone assuming anyone was even interested in trading valuable draft assets for an oft-injured, declining, soon-to-be FA who plays one of the most replaceable positions?

Seems like a faulty assumption, to me.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on February 24, 2024, 10:42:41 AMWhy is everyone assuming anyone was even interested in trading valuable draft assets for an oft-injured, declining, soon-to-be FA who plays one of the most replaceable positions?

Seems like a faulty assumption, to me.
It may be...but I'm of the belief that Mara was also instrumental in DJ's extension....so...by extension...I turn to him when discussing Saquon.

I have no problem being wrong, it's only an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Hadron

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 22, 2024, 03:15:56 PMLet me get this straight

4 years ago, the Giants traded away a third and a fifth-round draft choice to acquire LW

4 years later, the Giants traded away LW for a 2nd round pick and a 5th round (2025) pick

So please explain to me exactly how terrible the original LW trade was.  They received the services of a good DT for 4 years, and they netted the value of 2nd rd pick against a third rd pick for the privilege.

:-??

The Seahawks overpaying for LW doesn't magically justify the trade (at the time). Did it end up working out? Thankfully, yes. However, the albatross that was his contract didn't help the team out enough to warrant the production (or lack thereof).

Hadron

The team was in a tough spot after that playoff run last year.

Blow it up after one year or hope that the Giants might catch lightning in a bottle down the stretch? For a while , it did look like the Giants might make another playoff push, albeit this time with a combo of DeVito or Tyrod Taylor.

I know people (around here) would've lis Their mind if they dismantled the team at the trade deadline.

BluesCruz

Its a shame
The state of the Giants

Several barriers to success seem un-movable

John Mara
His relatives in the scouting department
Saquon Barkley
Daniel Jones
Brian Daboll

All sit in key positions and all are average to incompetent

I dont know how you fix this
Only Barkley and Daboll seem immediately ditchable and likely will remain in place for political reasons

The Giants need a virtual miracle in free agency and the draft of the century to avoid more endless misery this coming season

The new D Co-ordinator is a wild card.  He has big shoes to fill.  Maybe he will suprise us

Another possibility is Jones regains his rookie form  Again unlikely

My best hope is they stay competitive and are at least entertaining as for the most part they were last season...staying in many games until the end and under Tommy winning a few

Miracles do happen....we will see how this all plays out
At least they are not boring
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Giant Obsession

Hiring Shoen we had a plan for rebuild.

Then comes a "fools gold" season of 2022 and we all  but throw the plan out the window.

The time to trade Barkley and LW was midseason of 2022.

That would have taken guts in sticking with the plan. 

still trying to figure out why the switch to Taylor the last 3 weeks.  THAT took no brains.

So we are left with a franchise with a fractured plan, a volatile HC of dubious decision making ability ("But the players really like him"), an OC who wants gone and a few pieces of promising, yet very unfulfilled promise.

And thus another "new" rebuild plan is put in motion.

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Bob In PA

Quote from: Giant Obsession on February 24, 2024, 03:10:47 PMstill trying to figure out why the switch to Taylor the last 3 weeks.
GO: I think the rule some coaches have ("You can't lose your job to injury") came into play with Tyrod.

It eventually outweighed another rule ("Don't rush to bring an aging injured player back").

Also, the Giants were finally winning a few games and the home-town hero was selling a lot of hot dogs, so I think the timing on switching QB's was about right.

Bob

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!