News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

OMG Omicron

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, November 29, 2021, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 11, 2022, 12:34:56 PM
Rich: Yes, you can still get one of the flu viruses not covered by this year's installment of the flu shot, so that's yet another reason to keep in mind.  Bob

The measures I suggested are just a good way to live by (if you like to avoid getting sick).   With hand washing, I am saying qualify hand washing that focuses on a proper washing of the entire hand, rather than wet, some soap, a few rubs, and then rinse.   

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Blue4Life

Quote from: LennG on January 11, 2022, 12:05:24 PM
How much do we know about Omicron as far as it relates to the original virus as to how to protect oneself like towards shopping. We learned that we should wash our veggies, wipe down our packages, even change clothes if we went out to the store. We learned how long the virus lived on certain materials, like plastics and cardboard among other things and we adjusted our lives accordingly.
With Omicron, are these same procedures necessary? Do we know if this variant lives on a cardboard box, on the mail, on our daily paper? Are we still washing our food brought into the house, wiping down the milk cartons?
My darling wife still does it all and I chide her a bit for it, but is she being overly cautious or doing the right thing?

Lenny, we did the same things and then some for over a year too. Didn't wipe down perishable items, instead used UVC light to disinfect the surfaces, including the counter afterward. While we don't really use this light much anymore, we still do wash fruit/vegetables and other perishable items. And of course, our hands...

The constant changes in the virus discouraging, especially the highly politicized changes in the protection against them. Initially, our only option had been masks and washing hands frequently. Then came the vaccines and everybody swore, that once we reach "heard immunity", this pandemic will be over. Well, that did not happen and we have a new variant that requires booster shot. When the third variant had showed up and spreads like wildfire, we are back to masks, wash hands and maybe yet another booster shot, or a new vaccine. It's almost like "rinse and repeat", or like yoyo, depending on your preference...

Since the Omicron showed up, the infection rates are through the roof in the tri-state area:

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/?region=US&trendline=false&location=Connecticut&location=New+Jersey&location=New+York

For my state, CT, the infection rate is at the unheard rate of close to 24%:

https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/COVID-19-Data-Tracker

In my town, Stamford, the latest infection rate is 45%:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/cityofstamford/viz/StamfordCOVID-19Dashboard/StamfordCOVID-19Dash

Please note the chart in the top, right corner, where the vaccination coverage percentage summarized by age groups. The most interesting stat is vaccination rate for all eligible residents showing, that 94% of the eligible residents had been vaccinated. 80% of them fully vaccinated, while 14% received the first shot. Whatever happened to the "herd immunity", do we need to have 100% vaccination? it does not seem like that we would have that even then.

That leaves 6% unvaccinated, eligible residents for vaccine. Are those 8,100 residents are responsible spreading the virus? The chances are the answer to that question is no. Especially since in my earlier post detailed how some of the fully vaccinated residents with booster shot getting infected and spreading the virus. And as stated earlier, COVID is going to stay with us, until a vaccine that can prevent getting infected on the first place is developed.

Until then, cut back on socializing, wear mask, wash your hands, get the next booster, if you can. Stay safe Lenny, stay safe...