News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants injury gauge

Started by MightyGiants, September 17, 2022, 03:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 14, 2022, 03:37:54 PMNext week both hamstrings are fine but..... he will have tweaked his taint, MRI's inconclusive.  Trainers have no clue never seen a taint injury before. 

When interviewed Toney says i taint go, i tried, i need 3-6 weeks of rehab at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard he had a dislocated toenail too

Carson is a rock

FYI: TMI

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/23282-perianal-abscess#:~:text=A%20perineal%20abscess%20is%20a,can%20drain%20a%20perineal%20abscess.
QuoteA perineal abscess is a painful, pus-filled bump near your anus or rectum. It happens when one of your anal glands gets clogged and infected.

Can occur when a coach or player gets his proverbial ass kicked over a full season.

Jclayton92

Slugsy-Narrows

MightyGiants

The Jags are enjoying the injury gauge over the Giants for week 7
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Has anyone ever done a study as to why football players get ACL injuries without contact but we rarely see it in MLB when their players are running freely?

Painter

I'm not aware of any study which may have compared
Quote from: Trench on October 22, 2022, 08:41:50 PMHas anyone ever done a study as to why football players get ACL injuries without contact but we rarely see it in MLB when their players are running freely?

I'm not aware of a comparative study of the matter but the circumstances involved in the two sports are hardly comparable in nature and frequency. ACL tears are not common in baseball as compared to football, or even to other sports including basketball, soccer, volleyball, and lacrosse which to a greater extent involve frequent and sudden deceleration, such as cutting, pivoting, or landing on one leg.

Or when the knee is bent backward or twisted, which can occur during a fall or landing a jump awkwardly. Moreover, sudden stopping can cause a hyper flexing of the ligament which can be exacerbated through repeated stress causing loss of elasticity. Simply put there is far more physical stress involved is that area of concern in football than in baseball. Just as the opposite is true with elbows, shoulders, and wrists in baseball.

And of course, that doesn't consider effects which may be related to playing surface which can include varieties of natural grasses and widely differing artificial synthetic surfaces which may have even more effect on football injury.

Cheers!

Trench

Quote from: Painter on October 22, 2022, 10:12:50 PMI'm not aware of any study which may have compared
I'm not aware of a comparative study of the matter but the circumstances involved in the two sports are hardly comparable in nature and frequency. ACL tears are not common in baseball as compared to football, or even to other sports including basketball, soccer, volleyball, and lacrosse which to a greater extent involve frequent and sudden deceleration, such as cutting, pivoting, or landing on one leg.

Or when the knee is bent backward or twisted, which can occur during a fall or landing a jump awkwardly. Moreover, sudden stopping can cause a hyper flexing of the ligament which can be exacerbated through repeated stress causing loss of elasticity. Simply put there is far more physical stress involved is that area of concern in football than in baseball. Just as the opposite is true with elbows, shoulders, and wrists in baseball.

And of course, that doesn't consider effects which may be related to playing surface which can include varieties of natural grasses and widely differing artificial synthetic surfaces which may have even more effect on football injury.

Cheers!

Painter - my apologies...thanks for the great info.....I meant to ask about Achilles injuries. I got confused on ACL and Achilles. I was watching the Yankees and I see outfielders running all over and never seem to hurt the Achilles yet I watch football players run up the field with no contact and those Achilles happen frequently.

Painter

I can't comment about differences in the occurrence of Achilles injuries between baseball and football except that it seems related to practice and early conditioning stresses even more than to game play. In any case, the data reflect a remarkable and seemingly paradoxical fact. Two-thirds of Achilles injuries in the NFL occur with Rookies in camp and preseason and the remaining one-third to older veteran players. Apparently, if a player avoids the injury at the start of his career, he is not likely to suffer it, if ever, until he is older. Go figure, huh.

Cheers!

Trench

Quote from: Painter on October 23, 2022, 01:28:03 AMI can't comment about differences in the occurrence of Achilles injuries between baseball and football except that it seems related to practice and early conditioning stresses even more than to game play. In any case, the data reflect a remarkable and seemingly paradoxical fact. Two-thirds of Achilles injuries in the NFL occur with Rookies in camp and preseason and the remaining one-third to older veteran players. Apparently, if a player avoids the injury at the start of his career, he is not likely to suffer it, if ever, until he is older. Go figure, huh.

Cheers!

That is incredibly interesting, thank you

Slugsy-Narrows

Couldn't find the injury thread.....

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1584080934571081728

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on October 22, 2022, 10:58:04 PMPainter - my apologies...thanks for the great info.....I meant to ask about Achilles injuries. I got confused on ACL and Achilles. I was watching the Yankees and I see outfielders running all over and never seem to hurt the Achilles yet I watch football players run up the field with no contact and those Achilles happen frequently.

I suspect the issue is weight.  Achilles see more stress accelerating a 250 pound man than a 200 pound man.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2022, 09:06:34 AMI suspect the issue is weight.  Achilles see more stress accelerating a 250 pound man than a 200 pound man.

There may be something in what you suggest, Rich. At least, in the sense that Lineman and Linebackers are apparently the player positions more apt to suffer an Achilles injury.

Cheers!

Trench

Quote from: Painter on October 23, 2022, 12:01:45 PMThere may be something in what you suggest, Rich. At least, in the sense that Lineman and Linebackers are apparently the player positions more apt to suffer an Achilles injury.

Cheers!

We also see it in players like Shep which adds more intrigue. Just so odd to see a guy in one sport just running on the same type turf as a guy in another sort running on the same turf - with a drastic difference

Painter

Quote from: Trench on October 23, 2022, 12:04:22 PMWe also see it in players like Shep which adds more intrigue. Just so odd to see a guy in one sport just running on the same type turf as a guy in another sort running on the same turf - with a drastic difference

It can be a challenge to know what is or isn't an exception or, what may be an intrinsic cause more than an extrinsic one.

Cheers!