News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you had to make the decision on Daniel Jones right now....

Started by DaveBrown74, October 26, 2022, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the below options would you go with if you had to make a decision today

DaveBrown74

I'm curious where everyone stands on Jones and what you would do if you had to make a decision on him right now.

Assume for this exercise that the scenario of signing Jones for backup type money is not possible.

Your choices are:

-Lock him in to a long term deal with a top 10 AAV and a large guarantee

-Franchise tag him

-Let him walk and address the position in the offseason.

Which of the above would you choose, and why?

True Blue

If these are the only options. I'm gonna go with let him walk, maybe the tag. Thee cost of the resign options imo are too high

I would sign him to a 2-3 year deal but not top 10 money, he has had a great season but I do not think it warrants top 10 money. More closer to 15ish then maybe

Rambo89

I know you said if you had to make the decision right now but as I said in another thread I can't make the decision now when there are 10 games left in the season.  Jones has definitely improved and has made more of a case to make a long term commitment to him but we're just basing that off of 7 games when there are 10 games left and the prior 37 games he had had more valley's than peaks.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Slugsy-Narrows

Still to early!  Stand pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 26, 2022, 10:33:34 AMI know you said if you had to make the decision right now but as I said in another thread I can't make the decision now when there are 10 games left in the season.  Jones has definitely improved and has made more of a case to make a long term commitment to him but we're just basing that off of 7 games when there are 10 games left and the prior 37 games he had had more valley's than peaks.

Yup, it's purely a hypothetical to get a sense of where people stand (including guests). Obviously, things could look different a month from now. But I have heard many here sound completely sold on him and at least one poster state that he believes the Giants have already made a firm decision, so I just wanted to see how this forum looks right now as sort of a temperature check exercise.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2022, 10:38:21 AMYup, it's purely a hypothetical to get a sense of where people stand (including guests). Obviously, things could look different a month from now. But I have heard many here sound completely sold on him and at least one poster state that he believes the Giants have already made a firm decision, so I just wanted to see how this forum looks right now as sort of a temperature check exercise.

I am not sure you are hearing people being completely sold on him as much as you are witnessing a paradigm shift.  We are moving from the narrative of "Jones will never be anything more than middle of the pack or worse" to "maybe Jones can be a good or franchise QB."

I think there is a distinction from seeing Jones and his potential in a new light (thanks to new evidence) and drawing hard conclusions.

To the question, I am with the rest; despite your disclaimer, I am not really at a point where I have a firm answer or even one I am leaning toward.  I am taking a wait-and-see approach
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Not happy with the options, but I nevertheless chose the one I'd do with a gun at my head and no other options. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Leek21

I would have singed him to a long term deal before the season started.  Definitely sign him to a long term deal now at market value, yes it will be costly but he is a Franchise QB.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 26, 2022, 10:45:05 AMNot happy with the options, but I chose what I'd do with a gun at my head and no other choices but those. Bob

If I put in an option to sign Jones for $10mm-$15mm, 90% would pick that and it wouldn't be interesting. Moreover, I am not convinced that this will in fact be an option on the table. Perhaps getting him for $20m-$25m will, but that's not all that far from the franchise tag number.

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Blue Fire

Option A and then Franchise Barkley (since RBs drop off the hill much quicker and the FT tag on a RB is much cheaper)

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2022, 10:48:33 AMIf I put in an option to sign Jones for $10mm-$15mm, 90% would pick that and it wouldn't be interesting. Moreover, I am not convinced that this will in fact be an option on the table. Perhaps getting him for $20m-$25m will, but that's not all that far from the franchise tag number.

Honestly I would rather wait until the end of the season to make that decision even if it meant paying Jones $35+ million AAV knowing for sure he was the guy than trying to sign him right now for below market value when I'm not sure if he's the guy.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

ozzie

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 26, 2022, 11:00:48 AMOption A and then Franchise Barkley (since RBs drop off the hill much quicker and the FT tag on a RB is much cheaper)

I voted option A and I agree with this line of thinking where you tag Barkley and then draft a young RB for the next few years. I put much more emphasis on QB than RB.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Ed Vette

Based on what I know today and the choices given I would tag him. If he becomes more than what he's shown and with a hopefully better team they are a solid contender then the money will come. If not then it's just a one year deal I can get out of if his limitations are exposed.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

I chose the tag option.

They have proven they can win with him at QB. How far can they go remains to be seen. But I'm happy with the results so far.

The biggest question mark for me is his health and durability. We still have tough defenses to face and while the offensive line protection is getting better, he's still a threat to run the ball and open himself up to big hits and injuries.

Tagging him does not prevent the Giants from looking for a young QB in the draft. If they have to tag him after next season, I'm fine with that as well so long as he is managing the game as he is now or better, and the Giants are winning.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: