News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Golladay now trying to get back into the lineup apparently.

Started by AYM, October 27, 2022, 09:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

If he's only motivated now because the team is good (ie he didn't care before when we sucked, even though he was getting paid $18mm per), then that speaks volumes to me about his professionalism.

Blue Fire

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 28, 2022, 06:55:05 AMOBJ may have some flaws as a person, but I have never once gotten the sense that he didn't care or wasn't trying the way I do with Golladay. OBJ to me has always been passionate and has always given 100%. Golladay may have been those things at one point, but he isn't acting that way here, and I'm sorry but he's not the first NFL player to be banged up.

I hear what you are saying for sure. Many factors at play here london and I were alluding to some of them. Major point being, mutliple injuries can wear on a player to where they aren't quite the same player they used to be. Those 3 examples are good ones. OBJ had the most yard 3 year start in the history of the NFL. He is not that kind of explosive player anymore . Sure he had a nice little stint with the Rams but he wasnt that kind of historically elite guy either. Shockey who we finagled a 2 and a 5 for was definitely damaged goods too when he got to the Saints.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

MightyGiants

I don't think the issue with Golladay is effort.  I think the issue is that physically he is shot.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

I'm going to disagree on Golloday.  First, he has been hurt and we don't know the extent of the injuries and maybe with the time off, he'll be healthy after the bye.  If he is healthy, he'll be better than all the receivers on the team and a great addition with Wan'Dale.  I think the lack of trying was mostly related to the end of last year when the offense had pretty much fallen apart.  Not defending not going all out but it happens to lots of guys.  Remember who was throwing to him when Jones went down.

I'm wondering if the Giants dont make a trade by the dealline, if that means they saw something in Golloday at practice that would suggest he has something left. 

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: nb587 on October 28, 2022, 07:50:46 AMI'm going to disagree on Golloday.  First, he has been hurt and we don't know the extent of the injuries and maybe with the time off, he'll be healthy after the bye.  If he is healthy, he'll be better than all the receivers on the team and a great addition with Wan'Dale.  I think the lack of trying was mostly related to the end of last year when the offense had pretty much fallen apart.  Not defending not going all out but it happens to lots of guys.  Remember who was throwing to him when Jones went down.

I'm wondering if the Giants dont make a trade by the dealline, if that means they saw something in Golloday at practice that would suggest he has something left.
They are winning without Toney, we are winning without Galloday.  I don't think if they choose to not make a move it had anything to do with what they see or don't see.

JS is showing to be a calculated GM that doesn't make knee jerk reactions.

He knows what he has in the bench, probably has a limit on what he would trade for, and is being patient and waiting to see if it all lines up.

IF a trade happens I would say it happens on the last day in the final hours and he gets another team to blink and take his offer rather then JS taking their offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on October 28, 2022, 07:50:46 AMI'm going to disagree on Golloday.  First, he has been hurt and we don't know the extent of the injuries and maybe with the time off, he'll be healthy after the bye.  If he is healthy, he'll be better than all the receivers on the team and a great addition with Wan'Dale.  I think the lack of trying was mostly related to the end of last year when the offense had pretty much fallen apart.  Not defending not going all out but it happens to lots of guys.  Remember who was throwing to him when Jones went down.

It might simply mean they don't like any of the deals available or that they don't want to give up draft capital during a rebuild.

Golladay has obviously not been on the field much this year. But he was active in plenty of games last year and was simply terrible. I know people want to place that entirely on Jason Garrett and the bad O line, and I will agree with that to some degree but only to a point. He still objectively wasn't good, and in some instances it was pretty clear for all to see that he wasn't trying hard.

Maybe Schoen and Daboll feel they might be able to squeeze something out of him in the second half of this season, but I think there is at least an 80% chance (and maybe much higher than that) that he isn't back next year.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 28, 2022, 08:14:18 AMIt might simply mean they don't like any of the deals available or that they don't want to give up draft capital during a rebuild.

Golladay has obviously not been on the field much this year. But he was active in plenty of games last year and was simply terrible. I know people want to place that entirely on Jason Garrett and the bad O line, and I will agree with that to some degree but only to a point. He still objectively wasn't good, and in some instances it was pretty clear for all to see that he wasn't trying hard.

Maybe Schoen and Daboll feel they might be able to squeeze something out of him in the second half of this season, but I think there is at least an 80% chance (and maybe much higher than that) that he isn't back next year.
When he returns we get an expensive blocking WR.  Period  he may catch a ball here or there. 

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 28, 2022, 07:12:11 AMIf he's only motivated now because the team is good (ie he didn't care before when we sucked, even though he was getting paid $18mm per), then that speaks volumes to me about his professionalism.

Unless his words are being twisted around it sure sounds like he is extra motivated to possibly contribute to a winning team that could be playoff bound instead of doing the bare minimum while losing. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

I think a lot of the negativity about Galloday stems from the absurd contract Gettleman gave him.    Just as a lot of the animosity towards DJ stems from where he was drafted.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 28, 2022, 07:48:14 AMI don't think the issue with Golladay is effort.  I think the issue is that physically he is shot.
Rich: I heard the Lions let him go because his style (win by fighting for 50/50 balls) was unsustainable.

His body needed time to recover from the beating in Detroit (28 is not "old" and IMO two years is enough).

Now he needs to do the hard part - change his attitude about what it takes to be a WR on the 2022 Giants by applying the same "toughness" that made him a successful 50/50 man in Detroit to run-blocking and doing the mundane stuff being done by less-talented players who currently get the majority of snaps. IMO a player who was a top NFL 50/50 man can be a WR for these Giants if he wants to do it, puts his pride aside, and follows the lead of men like Barkley.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 29, 2022, 08:44:22 AMRich: I heard the Lions let him go because his style (win by fighting for 50/50 balls) was unsustainable.

His body needed time to recover from the beating in Detroit (28 is not "old" and IMO two years is enough).

Now he needs to do the hard part - change his attitude about what it takes to be a WR on the 2022 Giants by applying the same "toughness" that made him a successful 50/50 man in Detroit to run-blocking and doing the mundane stuff currently being done by less-talented players who currently get the majority of snaps. IMO a player who was a top NFL 50/50 man can be a WR for these Giants if he wants to do it, puts his pride aside, and follows the lead of men like Barkley.

Bob
Bob

He has 72 million reasons not to put in the hard work and change!  He got the big deal!  I hope I'm wrong with this but some players just don't have that same passion and drive once they cash in.

Yes the Giants can cut him and he not make all 72, but he is still set for life, another team due to him being younger will take a chance on a lower deal and he will make some of it back.

He just hasn't come off as the guy that will rise to the occasion.  That hunger is either gone OR the injuries have piled up and sucked that hunger out of him.

Either way it's the same end result.

Blue Fire

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 29, 2022, 08:44:22 AMRich: I heard the Lions let him go because his style (win by fighting for 50/50 balls) was unsustainable.

Now he needs to do the hard part - change his attitude about what it takes to be a WR on the 2022 Giants by applying the same "toughness" that made him a successful 50/50 man in Detroit to run-blocking and doing the mundane stuff currently being done by less-talented players who currently get the majority of snaps. IMO a player who was a top NFL 50/50 man can be a WR for these Giants if he wants to do it, puts his pride aside, and follows the lead of men like Barkley.

Bob

Its possible its more mental and work ethic than anything else Bob. But he seems cooked. Like whatever amount of explosive ability he had: jumping, movement wise etc has been sapped from all the injuries too. I hope its more a mental thing bc that can be worked out losing your athleticism is a much harder thing to compensate for especially at the WR position.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Trench

I'm gonna shift my thinking to offering a positivity for Golladay in the hope he wants to contribute and if so, it is the same as a big WR acquisition

Blue Fire

Quote from: Trench on October 29, 2022, 09:49:45 AMI'm gonna shift my thinking to offering a positivity for Golladay in the hope he wants to contribute and if so, it is the same as a big WR acquisition

Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of sample size on both Golladay and Sills now being pretty pedestrian out on the field when given the opportunity. At least the few times Toney was out there he seriously flashed high skill and ability to quickly uncover or do damage in open space.

Stranger things have happened but I would be surprised if either suddenly became great out there.