News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Should Sign Barkley

Started by uconnjack8, October 28, 2022, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

I think I am probably in the minority but I really think signing Barkley to a 4 year extension (or new deal) is the right thing to do. 

First, let's get this out in the open:  I am a huge Barkley fan and loved it when they drafted him.  I watch all Penn St games and was awed by his ability to take over games even with limited blocking. He has said the right things and done the right things as a Giant. He is a local guy as well.  I could go on, but I think the point is made.  I am not denying that my emotion is playing into this thought process.

However, there are certainly logical reasons to sign him. 

He is the offense's MVP and best player(you could argue Andrew Thomas is the best player).  He is elite at his position and is the focal point for opposing defenses' game plan.   In other words, he makes everyone around him better because they have to plan for him. That leaves practice squad receivers single covered.  That gives Daniel Jones extra time to throw when there is a play fake.

When OBJ was jettisoned one of the criticisms was that teams shouldn't get rid of elite difference makers at skill positions.   I think that applies here.  The Giants are building a team, you do that with great cornerstone players and he is absolutely one of them. 

Last year I didn't feel the same way, partially because his play wasn't as well rounded as it is this year.  His blocking was subpar which he turned around and he didn't run downhill, which has also changed.   He makes those tough runs between the tackles that were absent in prior years. Those two things also show he is coachable and a player that is continually looking to improve.  That shouldn't go unnoticed, especially for a guy of his talent. He is a complete RB with absurd abilities for his size and has the right mental makeup.

In terms of cost, the highest paid RB now has a contract that averages 16M/year.  If they offered a contract of 17M/year that is still only about 65% of what teams pay for WRs of the same level (best WRs are averaging 25 - 30 million/year).  And he touches the ball a lot more than any WR. In that way he is an absolute bargain for a difference maker. 

His injuries are a concern but I think we can agree he has fully healed.  Will he have another major injury?  No one knows that.  WRs get injured too (see Jamarr Chase for reference).  I do think he has at least 4 solid years left and for him that means being among the league leaders in yards from scrimmage. He was that as a rookie with an awful line and he is that right now with a better but not great line.  Add a difference maker at WR and this offense could be a juggernaut.   

Let him walk and you get a comp pick and an offense that takes a huge step backwards and probably a lower level of play from guys that benefit from him being there.

True Blue

I agree, just less than 17m, would he take less? Should be an interesting thing to watch this offseason.

Rambo89

RBs don't hold up well at all especially on their 2nd contracts.  You're seeing that in Dallas with Elliot.

I would use the franchise tag on Barkley to bring him back in 2023 but would not sign him to an extension.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

uconnjack8

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 28, 2022, 03:32:17 PMRBs don't hold up well at all especially on their 2nd contracts.  You're seeing that in Dallas with Elliot.

I would use the franchise tag on Barkley to bring him back in 2023 but would not sign him to an extension.

I would argue Elliot had a lot more mileage on those legs than Barkley will when the 2nd contract comes.

One edit to add:

If you franchise him this year and then plan to no sign him, you better have accumulated enough talent to not take a big step backwards in year 3 of a regime.

Jclayton92

I wouldn't mind a frontloaded 3yr 48 million deal with incentives based on health.

Rosehill Jimmy

It really comes down to the value Schoen/Daboll put on the position. They may already have a $ in mind beyond which they just won't go for a RB, even if he's been touched by the hands of God. 

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

babywhales

Schoen will trade barkley if he isn't resigning him 

If he is on team Nov 2 he will be resigned 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

AZGiantFan

I wouldn't do more than tagging him.  And frankly, if they were 4-3 or 3-4 - which they could easily be - I'd be trying to trade him for a McCaffey-like haul.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 28, 2022, 04:18:12 PMI wouldn't do more than tagging him.  And frankly, if they were 4-3 or 3-4 - which they could easily be - I'd be trying to trade him for a McCaffey-like haul.
He could/should get more then that with the season he is having

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

@uconnjack8

I am still not sure this is a good idea owing to the short shelf life of RBs, but your compelling case has me thinking.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

We have a lot of money next year, and still quite devoid of talent. barkley is a true superstar. elite talent. if we had more of that, i would probably let him walk. but we need firepower. and he brings it. i'd keep it a short deal because obviously rb's dont last forever. but i think he still has 3 more super productive years in him, probably more. he's not just a guy that benefits from a great line. he can truly make things happen. i think you gotta keep him.

MagicRat

As has been said, I think we tag (on the assumption he stays healthy going forward) then assuming he has an effective and healthy tag year,  we look at a three year, heavily front loaded, contract.
I just don't trust the longevity of any RB these days.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Bob In PA

How many times can they tag him under current rules?
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 29, 2022, 07:38:22 AMHow many times can they tag him under current rules?

Bob,

They can tag him three times, but the 2nd year costs 120% of the 1st and then the 3rd costs 144% of the 2nd.

So its cost prohibitive.

DaveBrown74

All things considered, my preference would be a pay-as-you-go approach with Barkley, with tagging him this year and then considering a tag for 2024, even though it's more expensive. It still wouldn't be more expensive than a contract, and we'd have the luxury of not being locked in if something happened to him.

Assuming they want to keep him and want to give him a contract, my strong preference would be for a Chubb/Henry style deal (3 years with an easy 2 year out), not a four year. I don't want to be on the hook with ANY running back beyond that 27/28 age threshold, especially one with a major injury history. As it is, I am already not a big fan of paying numbers like $12m-$17m for running backs, but I appreciate how special Barkley has been for us this year and don't mind bringing him back for another year given we're flush next year and he's our only dynamic offensive player.