News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Good article on DJ and Giants: Still not seeing the forest for the trees

Started by Blue Fire, October 30, 2022, 11:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Fire

I think he nails a lot of what is going on right now in the front office as well as some of our fanbase mentality:

https://gbnreport.com/still-not-seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees/

Yet here we are, still in October, and the ongoing debate now isn't even so much as whether the Giants will try and extend Jones, but how much will they be willing to pay him, with the 'new' general consensus in the peanut gallery – or at least that part that sends me emails – being that G.M. Joe Schoen 'has a number in mind' that he won't go beyond.

Which sounds very business-like. However, it's just not the way the NFL works. Of course, every team wants an elite franchise QB like Brady or Rodgers or more recently Mahomes or Josh Allen. But there just aren't very many guys like that.

The bottom line is that the Giants are something like 9-3 in Jones' last dozen or so starts, and with not much more than a flyer on a late-first round project at QB, the most important position on the field – by oodles – as a backup plan, it's just hard to see Schoen and Daboll allowing him to just walk away. My initial thought was that they'd likely extend him for something in the $22-25M range for three years, but I really think that train may have left the station a few weeks back.

*There are a number of fans who really thought #8 was something in the range of our last Duke QB to grace the football field in Dave Brown. But many of these fans have seen what is happening on the field and recognize that DJs performance in this new system has greatly improved and have come around on him. Others have kept the book on Daniel closed, dug in their heels and still come up with ways to minimize what he is doing out there. For whatever reason they choose to only see negative with him or even the little positive they can muster up is seen through a still quite negative outlook. Is it the sometimes blinding desire to be proven right? Is it the years of bad play scaring them to have a semblance of hope with this team? Or is what many seeing really an illusion of smoke and mirrors that will come crashing soon and many who believe in DJ simply decieved?

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Jclayton92

It's one bloggers opinion.. Great he feels that way but to assume the front office and the fan base feels the same way is wildly speculative.

Rambo89

Lots of speculation off of 7-8 games with 9-10 games left.  I don't get this urge by fan base to jump the gun.  Luckily Joe Schoen is more level headed and will lead the Giants full evaluation based upon facts not emotions.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Blue Fire

Hey JC...Whether you believe it is speculative or not....I think he nails a lot of the current environment of what could be going on. A lot of good insight and well formed analysis of the take of the situation. This is what message baoeds are for. There will be some things that are official substanciated reports and others where it may be someones take on what could be going on. Both are useful for diacuasion in their own right provided we are not allowing strong judgements or biases cloud our judgement on the matter. Let the reader decide and form their own opinion.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 11:39:57 AMHey JC...Whether you believe it is speculative or not....I think he nails a lot of the current environment of what could be going on. A lot of good insight and well formed analysis of the take of the situation. This is what message baoeds are for. There will be some things that are official substanciated reports and others where it may be someones take on what could be going on. Both are useful for diacuasion in their own right provided we are not allowing strong judgements or biases cloud our judgement on the matter. Let the reader decide and form their own opinion.
Not allowing bias to cloud my judgement?? From the guy that in 12 of the last 16 threads on this site you have posted about the Giants signing a WR regardless of the actual topic of the thread... I simply stated that what you wrote "I think he nails a lot of what is going on right now in the front office as well as some of our fanbase mentality" is wildly speculative because it is as well as the blog post which has nothing to do with my opinion of Jones but with your wording.

Rambo89

We all have biases.  Not one human being is immune to having a bias at some level.  It's a part of being human.

Jclayton92

Also if you read the article in full, he's saying that Jones isn't an Allen, Mahomes, or Rodgers and that he just good enough to make it to the playoffs.

"If you have a QB good enough to get you to the playoffs, you stick with that guy, pretty much whatever it costs, until you get something better.

"All that said, I have always felt the most likely outcome here was going to be that the Giants would ultimately resign Jones. And it wasn't so much based on what Jones brings to the table – although I have argued over the past several seasons that he was nowhere near as bad as a lot of folks were making him out to be – but that there really just weren't any other good options out there".

So he recommends signing Jones until you find something better but you left that entire conversation out.

You left a lot out of your summary of the article.

Blue Fire

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 30, 2022, 12:00:54 PMWe all have biases.  Not one human being is immune to having a bias at some level.  It's a part of being human.

What you are saying is correct. It is part of the reason why we need to be born from above. But on another note why would we make provision to let biases just have free reign to cloud our judgment all the time?

Rambo89

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 12:04:49 PMWhat you are saying is correct. It is part of the reason why we need to be born from above. But on another note why would we make provision to let biases just have free reign to cloud our judgment all the time?

FYI you have your own biases.  I have mine.  They both impact our judgments and opinions. 

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 12:04:49 PMWhat you are saying is correct. It is part of the reason why we need to be born from above. But on another note why would we make provision to let biases just have free reign to cloud our judgment all the time?
Are you looking in the mirror when you ask that question?

Come on seriously BF - hello pot meet kettle!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Fire

Slugs biases greatly cloud our judgement and we can be most certainly free of them. Why see with a narrow lense? You are so convinced I am but maybe its your reasoning.

I remember not too long ago you being distraught that so many here were piling on you. Its the flesh 'group mob' mentality.  And I told you to simply forgive them. But now you have decided to join in and pile on me. Im ok with that by the way because I only have love for everyone here whether they are disrespectful to me or not. But I will stand by the truth and what I see.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 12:09:40 PMSlugs biases greatly cloud our judgement and we can be most certainly free of them. Why see with a narrow lense? You are so convinced I am but maybe its your reasoning.
Those that can't look into themselves and recognize what so many other keep telling them maybe have an issue identifying their own issues and should listen more then preach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambo89

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 12:09:40 PMSlugs biases greatly cloud our judgement and we can be most certainly free of them. Why see with a narrow lense? You are so convinced I am but maybe its your reasoning.

It's not his or anyones reasoning it's just human nature. 

Jclayton92

I don't care if someone is pro Jones or Anti Jones but when you post a link and write out an entire Summary but exclude the entire reason or logic the person used to come to that conclusion because it doesn't fit your narrative then that is the problem. The authors logic was that Jones is ok enough and that there wasn't a better option after this season, which is fine that is his opinion but it all got excluded and unless someone reads that entire blog post which most might not, then they have to go off your summary which excluded all of that blatantly because the excerpts that I posted where in-between the 3 paragraphs you decided to post so you went out if your way to leave them out.

Blue Fire

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 30, 2022, 12:13:06 PMIt's not his or anyones reasoning it's just human nature. 

Human nature by why settle for that space?