News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Reality Sets in

Started by Ed Vette, October 30, 2022, 07:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Tough road trip and that wears down a team but the James Fumbles were a killer and Barkley, Jones and the Oline come back down to earth.

A week of rest and then the toughest games of the season.

Sometimes the bear eats you.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Yep, any one of us would have signed up for 6-2 heading into the bye.  But you can see that there is still a lot of work to be done and trading for one WR isn't going to make a big difference.  This is a work in progress but I'm confident they are heading in the right direction for 2023 and beyond.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

They are 6-2 at the bye, that's pretty good.

Injuries caught up with them

The F**ing 12th man killed them

The back to back long road trips

It all caught up with them, it happens

All and all, the team has exceeded expectations and hopefully no one gets hurt during the bye and maybe the team gets a couple of players back from the injury list
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

No need to overreact; the Giants offense will continue to struggle; however, they'll be just fine after getting a few guys back. 

Jclayton92

What is worrisome is the locking on Wrs, and the 1 read panic came back today which regressed the offense as a whole today along with injuries. I mean the first half offense has been horrible all season but Seattle out NYG'd us at our own game.

Hopefully the bye week allows us to shake some of that off.

Philosophers

I was not happy about some of the pressure.  I mean Neal completely whiffed on one play to outside speed rush.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on October 30, 2022, 07:55:39 PMI was not happy about some of the pressure.  I mean Neal completely whiffed on one play to outside speed rush.

Neal was injured, that was his backup (who also had 2 false starts)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

6-2 @ the bye. Meaningful games in November for the 1st time since 2016.

This was bad and showed what it can look like if a team can stop the Giants ground attack.

Other than those two punt return fumbles, IMHO the difference was that Seattle has weapons on the outside to go with their running game. 

It's been a fun 1st half of the year to watch.

Ed Vette

If they played Dallas or Philly it would have been a total embarrassment. Seattle didn't beat them, the Giants beat themselves.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Flipper

It was nice to see Gates get in for a few plays.

Torus34

The Giants were simply not playing as well, both defensively and offensively, as they have in past games. They made mistakes which cost dearly. Against a league doormat, you can get away with sloppy play. Against a middle level team or better? Not.

A week to get back some confidence -- some juice in the dispenser -- may help. Houston's no push-over.

Take a week off, and then . . . Go, Big Blue!

Trench

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2022, 08:02:55 PMIf they played Dallas or Philly it would have been a total embarrassment. Seattle didn't beat them, the Giants beat themselves.
Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uconnjack8

When they start practicing again in a week, the taste of that loss will still be in their mouths.

kartanoman

Eliminate those two James' fumbled returns and it's either a one score game in the Giants' or Seahawks' favor. We can break down the ineffectiveness of the offense, as a whole, or individually, but at least they were still in the game. This is far better than running a quarterback sneak off your own goal lie as an offensive strategy.

You feed the 12th Man through turnovers and false starts. Anything else that goes wrong only amplifies the situation. The Giants did those things but were still in the game thanks to those clock-eating drives. But give the home team an inch, they'll take a mile every time and today was no different.

I agree with the folks who recommend they just go home, buckle their chinstrap, prepare and get ready for next week. Can't worry about the Eagles and Cowboys right now; they line up against Houston next week which offers them a chance to get back on the winner's list if they can correct those mistakes.

Hat's off to those of you who predicted 6-2. The second half of the season will be far more challenging but you'd think there's no reason why they can't win four or five of the next nine. Let's see how it plays out.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)