News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

In round 4 the Giants draft TE Theo Johnson

Started by MightyGiants, April 27, 2024, 12:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Waller is gone IMO.... this was a very good pic
The KING is in the building

killarich

Seems like a good pick

For the people who really want a RB .. at this point I ask why ?? Not saying I'm against I would not mind it

But what is another late mid round RB going to do for us ? We drafted one last year ... let him get actual playing time and see what he can do

Again I am not against it .. but it doesn't seem like a need to me

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uncle Mickey

Dabes made a comment 2 years that stuck out to me. He said NYG must be the slowest team on offense in the entire NFL.

Last 2 years Jalen Hyatt, Nabers and now Theo Johnson. Oh yeah and a stab at a Running back that ran a 4.27

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 27, 2024, 01:11:01 PMDabes made a comment 2 years that stuck out to me. He said we must be the slowest team on offense in the entire NFL.

Last 2 years Jalen Hyatt, Nabers and now Theo Johnson. Oh yeah and a stab at a Running back that ran a 4.27

The Giants sure has made a concerted effort to increase the speed of their offensive skill players
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

The New York Giants selected Penn State tight end Theo Johnson with the 107th pick.

The Athletic NFL Draft analyst Dane Brugler on Johnson: A three-year starter at Penn State, Johnson was a versatile tight end in former offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich's RPO-based scheme, splitting his time between inline (47.9 percent), slot (38.8 percent) and wide (9.8 percent).

A wide receiver in high school in Canada, he faced a steep transition moving to tight end at State College and didn't have a 100-yard receiving performance in 45 college games (and reached 75 yards just once). But his production steadily climbed each season, and he led the Nittany Lions in touchdown grabs in 2023.

Johnson is quick off the ball and builds his speed downfield, giving his quarterback a big target with his size, strong hands, and athletic catch radius. As a blocker, he doesn't embarrass himself but needs to better understand leverage and develop more of a glass-chewing mentality.

Overall, Johnson has inconsistent college tape and production, but he has A-plus measurements and smooth athletic tools that could allow him to continue developing and become a better pro than college player.

Although he is a work in progress, he is a worthy long-term investment for an NFL team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Their Johnsons first qb was will levis I believe.

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 27, 2024, 01:02:04 PMWaller is gone IMO.... this was a very good pic

Every report I have heard suggest Waller is unlikely to return
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Like Bellinger he will be a better pro than college player IMO. He is good on first down as well which will help DJ/Lock.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Bob In PA

Theo is a very good player and I'm confident he'll try his darnedest to every job/task the Giants hand him.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: londonblue on April 27, 2024, 01:57:18 PMLike Bellinger he will be a better pro than college player IMO. He is good on first down as well which will help DJ/Lock.

Off topic a bit but bigger is not always better. Belly did the over-exaggerated bulk up like Saquon did after his rookie year. That stuff blows my mind. There is a point when too much bulk is counter-productive in a quick change of direction sport. :angryfire:

I hope with Wellman back we don't see that stupid philosophy anymore.

PSUBeirut

I really like Theo and of course have seen him play a ton.  His trajectory when he started at PSU was to be a round 1 TE type of prospect- but IMO his upside was hampered by very inconsistent QB play in Drew Allar.  PSU also just never gelled under former OC Mike Yuricich and I think that took a toll on Theo's trajectory.  I really thought last year was going to be the year he was used properly as a focal point of the offense- especially since our WR corps was simply awful - but it just never materialized. 

Anyway, I think we got a good one - I thought he'd go round 3 so it looks like a good value pick also.  Great get in round 4 for a team that needed a TE.

Jolly Blue Giant

Dare I say it...or even think it...in "size and play style, he reminds me of watching Jason Witten" (also a day 3 pick). Could we be so lucky?
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: