News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Athletic Poll: Met Life Stadium is the worst

Started by DaveBrown74, November 21, 2023, 12:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

The Athletic surveyed 85 players over the past month, asking them what are the best and worst stadiums to play in.

Met Life rated as by far the worst. Here is the segment of the article that discusses that.

Regarding MetLife Stadium, a player said that the "turf sucks and the whole place is lame." Another agreed about the turf, adding that the "fans are horrible. Everything about that place is horrible."

https://twitter.com/WFAN660/status/1726993954518810879

Here is the link to the article for those who have a subscription:

https://theathletic.com/5077965/2023/11/21/worst-best-nfl-stadium-to-play/

Giant Jim

It would be nice to know what all the questions were and if the players polled were opponents or home team players.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 21, 2023, 12:54:40 PMIt would be nice to know what all the questions were and if the players polled were opponents or home team players.

It's 85 players selected from around the league. Not just the Jets and the Giants.

The only questions were "what is the best stadium to play in?" and "what is the worst stadium to play in?"

Arrowhead rated as the best. Met Life rated as the worst (by far). I gave the only commentary from players on our stadium that the article provides.

I provided the link to the article if you want more detail than that. The purpose of the post was just to show that a decent sample size of NFL players selected from the 32 teams believe Met Life is the worst place to play. I don't personally consider that a surprise, but I thought it was noteworthy that it was confirmed by a recent poll.

nb587

I'm curious if most negative responses about Giants stadium relate to the turf which to me would be meaningful given the number of injuries Giants players have experienced over the years.

The noise level, to me, is a direct result of the seat licenses and high ticket prices.  Many of the diehards can no longer sit near the field or in many cases go the games; too expensive.  There was a guy who worked for me years ago who had 4 seats near midfield lower level.  I knew exactly how much he earned on the job and he ended up buying the 4 for something like $60,000 total.  His plan was to sell the seats at enough profit to pay off the loan he took to make the purchase.  With a better team, maybe he had a chance. 

Jolly Blue Giant

Bulldoze it and start over - build a world class stadium with open-or-closed roof, real grass (rotating fields so it's always fresh), and awesome in design (no glorified bowl)...something that rivals the Vegas Sphere in attention grabbing, or LA's So-Fi Stadium. Then give us cheerleaders and make the place rock!

Step up to the 21st Century!

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

TDToomer

Quote from: nb587 on November 21, 2023, 01:22:18 PMI'm curious if most negative responses about Giants stadium relate to the turf which to me would be meaningful given the number of injuries Giants players have experienced over the years.

The noise level, to me, is a direct result of the seat licenses and high ticket prices.  Many of the diehards can no longer sit near the field or in many cases go the games; too expensive.  There was a guy who worked for me years ago who had 4 seats near midfield lower level.  I knew exactly how much he earned on the job and he ended up buying the 4 for something like $60,000 total.  His plan was to sell the seats at enough profit to pay off the loan he took to make the purchase.  With a better team, maybe he had a chance. 

Your work buddy needs better financial advise. What he did was reckless. Nobody should borrow money for sports tickets. How much interest has he paid on the loan? This is like Predatory Lending for sport nuts.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

TDToomer

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 21, 2023, 01:53:23 PMBulldoze it and start over - build a world class stadium with open-or-closed roof, real grass (rotating fields so it's always fresh), and awesome in design (no glorified bowl)...something that rivals the Vegas Sphere in attention grabbing, or LA's So-Fi Stadium. Then give us cheerleaders and make the place rock!

Step up to the 21st Century!

We don't need a stadium that looks like a space ship!  Games are unaffordable as it is. Would you buy in on season pass it it quadrupled to cover the expenses? Speak of which who is paying for all this? Mara, Tisch, Woody Johnson or just stick it up the taxpayers butts like they do down South?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: TDToomer on November 21, 2023, 02:28:52 PMWe don't need a stadium that looks like a space ship!  Games are unaffordable as it is. Would you buy in on season pass it it quadrupled to cover the expenses? Speak of which who is paying for all this? Mara, Tisch, Woody Johnson or just stick it up the taxpayers butts like they do down South?

They have billions of dollars, and they're only on this planet for a limited time...like all of us. Put the money to good use instead of begging for the government (taxpayers) to foot the bill. The Mara's could build a world-class stadium and still have a few billion left over for their yachts, housekeepers, yard keepers, mansions, private jets, fleet of Bentleys, and southern vacation homes. Jerry Jones put up 1.8 billion after the state put up 375 million...and Jones pays 5 million a year rent, plus another half million for AT&T naming rights each year to the state. Ticket prices the same as before. And guess what, he's still so rich he can't spend it all, nor will the next several generations of his offspring who inherit his wealth once he bites the big one. Limited time on earth - billionaires might as well leave a legacy because they sure as hell aren't taking it with them once they're six feet under. And if they would do such a thing, there'd be no reason to raise ticket prices. Ticket prices are determined by supply and demand, not fancy surroundings
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

madbadger

I despise Metlife and blame that idiot Woody Johnson for that uninspired stack of CD's pretending to be a stadium.

When the Jets were sure that they were going to get a stadium built on the west side the Giants published artist renderings of what they wanted our new stadium to look like and it was a cool retro inspired building with a brick facade. When the Jets deal fell through they elbowed their grubby way back into the meadowlands deal and made demands for a ultra modern design. What we ended up with is an abomination. It's uninspiring and cold just like Woody's soul.

As a fan I hate the moment of kindness Mara showed Leon Hess. The other tenants are like herpes. They'll never go away and they look for ways to ruin a good time. I have no problem with MetLife being rated the worst if for no other reason than the fact that it's true.

kartanoman

The "Sardine Can" - the perfect name for this place.

The old Giants Stadium may have seemed outdated for some, in 2009, but it was state of the art in 1976 and had personality which reflected the Parcells-tough Giants teams of the 1980s and will forever remain in Giant lore for us who were part of it. Not just the Giants, but the Cosmos, or rock concerts or College Football, but even Pope John Paul II! That stadium became part of the legacy of this flagship franchise.

If there were so many cost constraints from the get-go, then why even build a new stadium in the first place? We all know the reason and it had nothing to do with you or I. But once that greed factor was in play, the season ticket wait, which lasted for decades in Giants Stadium, all but disappeared once the Sardine Can came into play.

But, in the end you can hate on Mara, Hess or whomever you wish. The league was headed towards the marriage with big business and entertainment and that meant goodbye to the loyalty to the common fan (i.e. you and I).

At least the Yankees got it right when they built their new stadium. The Giants (and the Jets), get to play with Charlie Tuna in the Sardine Can.

Sorry, Charlie! Your can stinks, according to the rest of the league!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

SlotCorner

Reading the article, it looks like the turf is the biggest issue. They also mention the fans, but whose fans? Jets or Giants? And if an opposing team is complaining about the fans, that's a good thing. We don't want you to feel comfortable here.

We go to every game. We upgraded to club seats last year, and the game experience is so much better its not even funny. The PSLs were cheap as hell and the tickets are expensive, but not outrageously so. And so far, its been really worth it.

I have never loved MetLife, but we're not getting a new stadium any time soon. I blame the Jets too if only because a multi-team stadium is never going to have the character you want in your own stadium. Giants Stadium was ours from the color of the seats and walls to the sign on the outside. I'd contribute to the "move the Jets back to Queens" fund.

Giant Jim

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 21, 2023, 01:00:15 PMIt's 85 players selected from around the league. Not just the Jets and the Giants.

The only questions were "what is the best stadium to play in?" and "what is the worst stadium to play in?"

Arrowhead rated as the best. Met Life rated as the worst (by far). I gave the only commentary from players on our stadium that the article provides.

I provided the link to the article if you want more detail than that. The purpose of the post was just to show that a decent sample size of NFL players selected from the 32 teams believe Met Life is the worst place to play. I don't personally consider that a surprise, but I thought it was noteworthy that it was confirmed by a recent poll.

A sample of whom? Are there the same number of representatives from each team? How many for the Giants/Jets stadium? Rams/Chargers? Are the players allowed to include their own team's home stadium? A player evaluating a stadium based on noise level would likely give his home stadium a good vote and an opponent's a poor rating. A player here and another there stating just his opinion is hardly accurate. Sorry, I guessed I got sucked in by the headline and was disappointed by the quality of it.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 21, 2023, 04:28:09 PMA sample of whom? Are there the same number of representatives from each team? How many for the Giants/Jets stadium? Rams/Chargers? Are the players allowed to include their own team's home stadium? A player evaluating a stadium based on noise level would likely give his home stadium a good vote and an opponent's a poor rating. A player here and another there stating just his opinion is hardly accurate. Sorry, I guessed I got sucked in by the headline and was disappointed by the quality of it.

It's not "a player here and there." It's 85 active NFL players. I am not sure which part of that is still unclear. I am not the one who conducted the survey, so I don't have answers to your 20 questions, but given The Athletic is reputable I would imagine they selected them in a reasonably balanced way and not in a way that would lead to obvious imbalances in the responses. In any event, your point about it being "hardly accurate" is perplexing, because we're talking about people's opinions, not facts. I thought it was topical for this board that among a significant number (85) of NFL players, our stadium came out as being the worst.

I posted the link to the article and, since I know not everyone subscribes, I took the trouble to provide some detail and highlights. Sorry my efforts did not meet your standards, but I appreciate you letting me know of your disappointment, as your opinion is of profound importance to me.

spiderblue43

Function over form  Met Life reminds me of an air conditioner. Ugly. The Jets should have built their own stadium in Queens adjacent to Citi Field  :doh:

Giant Jim

I know I'm quoting you, but my main motive is to point out to all others that this is poorly researched.

I just feel it's a terrible article. The survey was taken in 2023. The turf was replaced before this season. Are they, or do those 2 players, that feel the turf sucks, talking about the new turf which only a handful of teams have played on, or the older one that was here the past few years? I'm sorry, I just don't find this creditable. No date, anonymous sources, did all the players surveyed play in the NFC east? Was it done with the same number of players from each team?