News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT-- Today's history lesson Part II--JFK Assassinated

Started by LennG, November 22, 2023, 11:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Maybe only to Dec 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor was bombed), Nov 22 1963 is the date that most people who were alive then, will remember forever. John Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas and the entire world stopped.

I can't say who here was alive then, but those like myself, remember every detail of what and where we were when we heard the news. TV was also, in its sort of infancy, but we were all glued to the TV to watch the events and then the funeral for this man.
And then to watch live, Oswald being shot and killed on live TV. And then there are the questions, the conspiracies, will it ever end?

https://time.com/6338396/jfk-assassination-conspiracy-culture/
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I believed, or wanted to believe, the conspiracy stuff on this topic for a long period in my life. The Oliver Stone movie (which even conspiracy believers admit is full of fabrications) only made me more obsessed with the topic. By 10 or 15 years ago though I kind of came to the eventual belief that the Warren Commission was in fact accurate and that Oswald was operating entirely on his own.

Admittedly though, there is plenty there to make people believe there was more to it than that. I totally get the fascination with the conspiracy theories.

Giant Jim

I was in kindergarten, we were outside for a fire drill and the teacher told us. I knew the president's name before that day. The only other memory was that it was on TV all weekend.

kartanoman

Five and a half years before I was born, I look at it as terrorism on our own soil before we ever coined that phrase in the context we use it for today.

As an Engineer-turned-Supplier Program Manager, for a defense contractor who was responsible for putting man on the moon, President Kennedy's Address at Rice University on the Nation's Space Effort on September 12, 1962, perhaps better known as the We Choose To Go To The Moon speech, moved me in a passionate way towards my love of math, science, space exploration and the planets. I owe that speech, in part, for the direction my education and career path has taken me.

I can't watch Kennedy's speech at Rice University without tearing up. I didn't live in his time. I've watched the many documentaries of him, but I didn't know him. He was a man accomplished and loved as he was a man condemned to die by his haters. He fulfilled the plan his father lay in front of him and he stood toe to toe with communism on the brink of nuclear war.

Then, that chilling day, 60 years ago, changed everything. Whether we choose to explore conspiracy theories, examine Oswald as to why he did it or stare in complete shock at the TV as the late President's son saluted his father's casket as it rode by him, many Americans alive at that time point to that event as the day America lost its innocence forever; you be the judge.

When Neil Armstrong finally touched foot on the moon, that "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," I finally made it into this world to be part of that celebration (albeit in my diapers, at four months old). Much later on, whenever I see that video, with cut-in to CBS News and Walter Cronkite smiling and just shaking his head in wonder, I think back to President Kennedy and the courage he had to challenge this nation with such a daunting mission. No doubt he would have looked down and smiled the day it took place. Not so much for his prediction coming true, but for the undoubtable will of the American drive and spirit which was on show for this unthinkable dream come true. It is in that spirit I choose to remember President Kennedy and, three decades and change into my career of supporting our astronauts, as well as our Armed Forces and the many pilots who fly the friendly skies, I couldn't dream of doing anything else.

In remembrance of President Kennedy and his family,

Rest in peace.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

Quote from: kartanoman on November 22, 2023, 01:18:56 PMFive and a half years before I was born, I look at it as terrorism on our own soil before we ever coined that phrase in the context we use it for today.

As an Engineer-turned-Supplier Program Manager, for a defense contractor who was responsible for putting man on the moon, President Kennedy's Address at Rice University on the Nation's Space Effort on September 12, 1962, perhaps better known as the We Choose To Go To The Moon speech, moved me in a passionate way towards my love of math, science, space exploration and the planets. I owe that speech, in part, for the direction my education and career path has taken me.

I can't watch Kennedy's speech at Rice University without tearing up. I didn't live in his time. I've watched the many documentaries of him, but I didn't know him. He was a man accomplished and loved as he was a man condemned to die by his haters. He fulfilled the plan his father lay in front of him and he stood toe to toe with communism on the brink of nuclear war.

Then, that chilling day, 60 years ago, changed everything. Whether we choose to explore conspiracy theories, examine Oswald as to why he did it or stare in complete shock at the TV as the late President's son saluted his father's casket as it rode by him, many Americans alive at that time point to that event as the day America lost its innocence forever; you be the judge.

When Neil Armstrong finally touched foot on the moon, that "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," I finally made it into this world to be part of that celebration (albeit in my diapers, at four months old). Much later on, whenever I see that video, with cut-in to CBS News and Walter Cronkite smiling and just shaking his head in wonder, I think back to President Kennedy and the courage he had to challenge this nation with such a daunting mission. No doubt he would have looked down and smiled the day it took place. Not so much for his prediction coming true, but for the undoubtable will of the American drive and spirit which was on show for this unthinkable dream come true. It is in that spirit I choose to remember President Kennedy and, three decades and change into my career of supporting our astronauts, as well as our Armed Forces and the many pilots who fly the friendly skies, I couldn't dream of doing anything else.

In remembrance of President Kennedy and his family,

Rest in peace.

Thanks Chris for that wonderful story.

Myse lf, I was a senior in HS, and I had a half day of school. I was home, preparing lunch and watching Batchelor Father on TV when a news special came on int erupting the show. It was Walter Cronkite saying that the President was shot but no further details were available. Back to my lunch and show, but a few minutes later, that famous spot of him announcing that indeed, the President was dead. I just sat there in shock, never believing something like that could happen in this era. Lincoln was shot, Harrison was shot but shooting a modern-day President, was impossible. Yet there it was.

As for conspiracies, I still believe that Oswald simply could not have done this on his own. He was a patsy for someone and had to be eliminated before he got to talk. By whom is anyone's guess, but no one will ever know for sure.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss