News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eagles Fans Are Melting Down

Started by Philosophers, January 16, 2024, 09:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

The window for a Super-Bowl-capable team in the modern NFL is quite small. The Eagles actually exceeded it, IMO. 

Now, they are getting old. They got lucky and got A.J.Brown virtually for free, but couldn't pull off the job.

They are downward-moving at this point, and this is just the beginning.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: zephirus on January 16, 2024, 12:51:10 PMI hate the Eagles as much as the next guy, but I would not remove the "genius" moniker from Roseman.  Players play, coaches coach.  The level of talent that Roseman assembled is not/was not the issue.  This feels like it's on the coaching staff and potentially a few players who were/are disgruntled who upset the apple cart.  AJ Brown might very well be one of those players.

I appreciate that coaching may be more to blame, but Howie did sign two aging CBs to a collective $80 million 3-year deal, which is now looking less than wise.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 16, 2024, 12:23:02 PMAll last offseason, the punditry told us that Howie Roseman was a genius and the Eagles could do no wrong.  It was pretty much ordained that the Eagles would be back to the championship game and were the likely NFC representative in the Super Bowl. 

Everyone ignored the Super Bowl hangover.  Everyone ignored the Eagles were acquiring players with injury and character concerns.  Everyone pretty much ignored the loss of the OC and DC.    They ignored the fact that many of their key players were getting older.

I guess the Eagles didn't tank their last game of the regular season (against the Giants), they simply sucked.  I am looking forward to an offseason that is free of talk about how brilliant the Eagles and Howie Roseman are.

Rich - not just pundits but Giants fans on this board were also praising Howie as a genius.  "Why can't the Giants find a Howie for GM?"  Well....

uconnjack8

One thing that I am curious about is the way that the Eagles write contracts.  When I look at them it's like they are never going to pay the piper so to speak on these things.  For example,

Jalen Hurts signed a 255 million dollar deal.  Through 2026 his cap hit is never more than 31.7 million.  That's a lot less most good QBs on a 2nd deal.  I think it's the use of void years.  Just postpones some of the damage, but it's a big advantage in the present.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on January 16, 2024, 01:26:52 PMRich - not just pundits but Giants fans on this board were also praising Howie as a genius.  "Why can't the Giants find a Howie for GM?"  Well....

And some fans here were very unhappy at the time that the team didn't retain Bradberry (ie give him what the Eagles gave him).

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2024, 01:51:44 PMAnd some fans here were very unhappy at the time that the team didn't retain Bradberry (ie give him what the Eagles gave him).

His tackling last night would have fit right in on this Giants team.

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 16, 2024, 01:53:09 PMHis tackling last night would have fit right in on this Giants team.

They were very reminiscent of our defense yesterday.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

LennG

What started out bad on Saturday as both my teams lost, sure ended on a very high note. First the hate d Cowpukes implode and then the just as hated Iggles, continue their downward spiral.

I do think Aikman hit on something, that there is something wrong with Hurts that hasn't been made public. He never really ran yesterday and was tackled for big losses, including that safety, which normally never would have happened. PLUS he was stopped on the tush-push.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

coggs

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 16, 2024, 01:41:43 PMOne thing that I am curious about is the way that the Eagles write contracts.  When I look at them it's like they are never going to pay the piper so to speak on these things.  For example,

Jalen Hurts signed a 255 million dollar deal.  Through 2026 his cap hit is never more than 31.7 million.  That's a lot less most good QBs on a 2nd deal.  I think it's the use of void years.  Just postpones some of the damage, but it's a big advantage in the present.
Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 16, 2024, 01:41:43 PMOne thing that I am curious about is the way that the Eagles write contracts.  When I look at them it's like they are never going to pay the piper so to speak on these things.  For example,

can someone explain how these "void" years work?  Does he count $97MM against the cap in 2029 or will it be only $8,166,000 as he gets cut that season?

babywhales

Quote from: coggs on January 16, 2024, 04:10:00 PMcan someone explain how these "void" years work?  Does he count $97MM against the cap in 2029 or will it be only $8,166,000 as he gets cut that season?
They cut him after 2027 he has a 24.1 mill dead cap
In 2028 and the contract ends up as a 5yr 208 mill deal
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

uconnjack8

Do the Giants have anyone this creative on staff?

spiderblue43

Could those fans be hosed down too?  :hmm: