News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dave Gettleman ignored Broncos' call during 2018 NFL draft

Started by LennG, January 27, 2024, 12:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Connor Hughes of SNY reports that the Denver Broncos called the Giants on draft night in 2018 and had a major offer prepared for the No. 2 spot.

After learning that Baker Mayfield would go No. 1 overall, John Elway was desperate to trade up for quarterback Sam Darnold. He was ready to offer the Giants a King's random.

Then-general manager Dave Gettleman ignored the call.

We drafted Barkley instead whom Gettleman already had wearing a gold Jacket before he took one snap.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/giants-dave-gettleman-ignored-broncos-call-during-2018-nfl-draft/ar-BB1hlciZ?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=3ae8e2c7382445d89d259ea715caab26&ei=19
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I guess that's who he was talking about when he scoffed at other teams offering him a hot dog, a soda pop, and a bag of potato chips for the second pick in the draft. One of his many highlights as Giants GM.

Hadron

sooners56

Not sure what was offered but that trade could have propelled the Giants to better things.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

katkavage

Hated the draft at the time. Still think it was a monumental disaster. And it has nothing to do with Barkley and his talent.

MagicRat

Hyperbole matures with age, but if he truly did not take the call and listen, that's gross professional negligence.
Smell my cheese you mother!

andrew_nyGiants

If they offered anything more than a 2nd and a 4th to switch 1sts....he should've been over ruled or fired the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

files58

J Mara interferes, gives piles of money to a mediocre at best QB, but sits on his hands when this happens. His Dad(RIP) who wanted to rehire BP,  lets GY off the hook when he disappears after offering the HC job to Fassell. The NY on the helmet didn't fall far from the owners' box.

PSUBeirut

That's what I was hoping they'd do that night....it's also still possible Barkley could have lasted to #5, which makes not even picking up the phone all the more egregious. 

Giant Jim

Is it possible Gettleman was under orders to not miss out on Barkley? Mara was trying to win with Manning and not looking to rebuild at that point.

Trench

On the bright side I remember when the 49ers were doormats and it didn't take very long to turn it around and they had couple different QBs also. So there is hope yet

MightyGiants

I really wanted the Giants to trade down.  The Giants had so many needs and that draft capital haul would have been so much more valuable than Barkley.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Messiah717

Gentleman should be charged with dereliction of duty.

Gmo11

jgrangers2

Quote from: Messiah717 on January 29, 2024, 10:58:51 AMGentleman should be charged with dereliction of duty.

To say the least. In order to leap frog the Jets and take Darnold, you've gotta think an additional first round pick in the following year would have been on the table. And as someone else said, Barkley might have still been available at 5 but, at worst, you could have had a choice between guys like Quenton Nelson, Bradley Chubb, Mike McGlinchey or Roquan Smith. To not even think about a potentially huge offer like that just to take a player at a non-premium position (that you might have been able to get later anyway) is severe malpractice.