News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tiki Barber makes a strong case against NYG drafting a quarterback

Started by MightyGiants, February 08, 2024, 02:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

If we drafted a qb at 6 and he was the guy  and then got a pass rusher and 2 FA Olinemen that worked we'd easily be a playoff team this coming season.

The benefit of having THE guy under a rookie contract allows you to build a team around him.

I just don't see how passing on a Mccarthy or Daniels is a smart play as there aren't any guys coming up that you can point to and say yep if we are still bad we can get this guy in 25,26.

katkavage

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 08, 2024, 04:27:46 PMHe's right.  As much as I don't want to admit it.  I think Daniel Jones could be our Alex Smith, if we play our cards right.
Into year six and coming off serious knee surgery in late November. If he's ready and primed for opening day it will be quite the miracle. I expect October and maybe by December his form, whatever that's worth, will be almost there.

Jclayton92

Quote from: katkavage on February 08, 2024, 05:17:27 PMInto year six and coming off serious knee surgery in late November. If he's ready and primed for opening day it will be quite the miracle. I expect October and maybe by December his form, whatever that's worth, will be almost there.
The problem is that for 5 Years we've seen Jones not even be capable of putting up Alex Smith numbers.

londonblue

Just on the Texans and Stroud I think people are forgetting that the Texans were competitive in a lot of games in 2022 (6 single score losses going 3-13-1) and won 2 of final 4, only losing in OT to the Chiefs.

When they drafted Stroud they already had an ascending D and significantly bolstered their OL and WR corps in free agency and draft. They under-achieved in 2022, over-achieved in 2023 and without doubt Stroud was the X factor but he was not the only factor.

So, Tiki has a point to a point. IF the Giants draft a QB it has to be part of a plan like the Texans had, meaning we have to prioritise helping the potential future /incumbent QB in free agency pre draft and the rest of the draft. Rookie QBs are more often naughty boys than messiahs (no prizes for catching the reference).
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

ralphpal1

Well a great QB can raise up a pretty good team
But also a great team can mask a bad  qb up to a certain point
For every 49ers
You have the colts who had very good teams but were picking up old.QBs and that didnt work
The Jets have a very good team
They won 7 games with zac wilson
But again no.playoffs
Its easier to say draft a great team 9r draft a great QB
But there is a 50 -50.chance you draft a bust in the first round and it goes down from there

kingm56

Quote from: PSUBeirut on February 08, 2024, 04:27:46 PMHe's right.  As much as I don't want to admit it.  I think Daniel Jones could be our Alex Smith, if we play our cards right.

The same Alex Smith who was replaced by two franchise's that went to the SB the season following his departure?  The fact that Alex Smith is his bar has been the issue for the last 5 years.  DJ would also have to significantly improve his production to even hit this bar, which is unlikely in Year 6.

Brooklyn Dave

Doesn't anyone realize that to draft an ,"elite" QB ,( which could be a crap shoot ) we would have to move up in the draft and surrender probably both our number 2s this year , plus our number 1 and more next year . I don't care if it were Tom Brady, Joe Montana etc. , we would be awful with no draft capital to fix the many holes that we have .

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 09, 2024, 05:10:58 AMDoesn't anyone realize that to draft an ,"elite" QB ,( which could be a crap shoot ) we would have to move up in the draft and surrender probably both our number 2s this year , plus our number 1 and more next year . I don't care if it were Tom Brady, Joe Montana etc. , we would be awful with no draft capital to fix the many holes that we have .
So do nothing and continue to lose is the answer?

Also you wouldn't give a 1st and 2 2nds for Tom brady?

katkavage

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 09, 2024, 05:10:58 AMDoesn't anyone realize that to draft an ,"elite" QB ,( which could be a crap shoot ) we would have to move up in the draft and surrender probably both our number 2s this year , plus our number 1 and more next year . I don't care if it were Tom Brady, Joe Montana etc. , we would be awful with no draft capital to fix the many holes that we have .
Every draft is a crap shoot. That's the business the GMs are in. Did the Giants shoot the crap when they took Evan Neal, a very highly rated offensive lineman when they did? Crap happens. But you cannot let that deter you from doing what you think will best help the team. The Giants did just that in 2004 when they traded for the first round pick of Eli Manning. It brought them two Super Bowls. I will leave the decision to the GM. We shall see how it plays out in the future for the team. One thing I know, whatever the GM chooses to do, trade up, draft a QB at six, trade down, pick a WR or OL, it's all a crap shoot.

kingm56

Do you realize the paradoxical nature of your statement? You state the Giants shouldn't draft a QB, because it's a crap shoot, while simultaneously stating you wouldn't trade said draft picks because they're too valuable. Finally, I don't believe there's a GM is history who wouldn't execute your proposed trade; the problem, there's no way NE would be foolish enough to execute said theoretical trade. The same is true for Pat Mahomes; KC wouldn't dream of trading him...they rather let a future HoF WR walk before even considering the possibility. 

Woody

San Francisco is in the Super Bowl with a QB that was last pick in his draft class.....more than an elite QB needed to be a consistently winning program.

kingm56

Quote from: Woody on February 09, 2024, 08:16:58 AMSan Francisco is in the Super Bowl with a QB that was last pick in his draft class.....more than an elite QB needed to be a consistently winning program.

Except Purdy is a pro bowl QB who is top 5 by almost every objective and subjective data point; plus, we saw how SF performed last year without him/injured.  They looked like a completely different team, which refutes your point.

kartanoman

Quote from: kingm56 on February 09, 2024, 08:23:46 AMExcept Purdy is a pro bowl QB who is top 5 by almost every objective and subjective data point; plus, we saw how SF performed last year without him/injured.  They looked like a completely different team, which refutes your point.

If I remember correctly, KC went into Santa Clara and beat the tar out of the 49ers. The QB carousel was down to its final spin: the Mr. Irrelevant of of the 2022 draft. Not a Pro Bowl QB by any stretch, at least that anyone knew of at the time. Then the kid just stepped up and pulled a Kurt Warner-like show to take the entire league by storm.

Thst's why the glass slipper must fit on Sunday night. It will be a storybook ending which would be more Kurt Warner than Tom Brady-like, but it deserves to stand on its own, Purdy-like. It's the ultimate lesson in that it takes a coach, an offense and the "right" quarterback, regardless where drafted, or signed, to make it work

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

TDToomer

Quote from: kingm56 on February 09, 2024, 01:09:24 AMThe same Alex Smith who was replaced by two franchise's that went to the SB the season following his departure?  The fact that Alex Smith is his bar has been the issue for the last 5 years.  DJ would also have to significantly improve his production to even hit this bar, which is unlikely in Year 6.

Technically Smith was still with the 49ers when they lost to the Ravens in the Super Bowl. He got injured in 2012 and Kaepernick took over and Harbough made the switch permanent so Smith backed him up the rest of the way. The following season he was traded to the Chiefs.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

BluesCruz

I like Tiki but would love to know what kind of medication he was on when he pulled this idea out of his hat.

In politics:Its the economy stupid

In the NFL: Its the QB STUPID
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"