News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tiki Barber makes a strong case against NYG drafting a quarterback

Started by MightyGiants, February 08, 2024, 02:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on February 09, 2024, 01:09:24 AMThe same Alex Smith who was replaced by two franchise's that went to the SB the season following his departure?  The fact that Alex Smith is his bar has been the issue for the last 5 years.  DJ would also have to significantly improve his production to even hit this bar, which is unlikely in Year 6.
Soooo... looks like we'll be in the SB after we get rid of Jones?!?

Sign me up!  :P
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on February 09, 2024, 08:23:46 AMExcept Purdy is a pro bowl QB who is top 5 by almost every objective and subjective data point; plus, we saw how SF performed last year without him/injured.  They looked like a completely different team, which refutes your point.

If Purdy had been drafted by the Jets, he would be on their practice squad.  Purdy was lucky enough to be drafted to a very talented team with an outstanding coaching staff.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on February 09, 2024, 10:03:20 AMSoooo... looks like we'll be in the SB after we get rid of Jones?!?

Sign me up!  :P

lol. The problem is, DJ has yet to  approach Smith's production...not even close.  We're hoping he can become Smith, which is a problem in itself. 

BluesCruz

DJ should get a job as a DJ

QB is not his thing.  He leads the Punt Brigade into battle
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

StompYouOT

You can't pass up on a franchise QB when you have a chance.  It's the only way to win a championship.  Watch what happens Sunday as I will bet that KC, despite being a weaker overall roster, will win by 10.  (And I will eat crow if wrong).  If Schoen doesn't think he can get that guy then move forward elsewhere.

The problem as I've seen it is we do compete with Tyrod.  I think Jones is a certainly part of the problem and not the solution.  If the defense forces turnovers and our offense moves like it did later in the season then adding a franchise guy would vault us ahead. 

Ed Vette

15% of the QBs in this league are elite. That doesn't mean that there's a 15% chance to draft one. Some teams like Buffalo go 25 years to get one and have him play in his prime.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 09, 2024, 10:31:24 PM15% of the QBs in this league are elite. That doesn't mean that there's a 15% chance to draft one. Some teams like Buffalo go 25 years to get one and have him play in his prime.

It's actually a much lower percentage than that.  It's 15% of starting QBs are elite.  Not all quarterbacks drafted end up being starters.  Seeing how there are a significant number of starting QBs in the league who were not first-round picks, you need to consider the total number of QBs drafted every year and then consider that just 5 of all those QBs picked end up elite.  I am not going to do the math, but I venture to guess the odds are around 1% or 2%
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 10, 2024, 08:35:51 AMIt's actually a much lower percentage than that.  It's 15% of starting QBs are elite.  Not all quarterbacks drafted end up being starters.  Seeing how there are a significant number of starting QBs in the league who were not first-round picks, you need to consider the total number of QBs drafted every year and then consider that just 5 of all those QBs picked end up elite.  I am not going to do the math, but I venture to guess the odds are around 1% or 2%
And how many of those win a SB...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 09, 2024, 04:06:14 PMDJ should get a job as a DJ

With all due respect, good sir, the military term is "Crutch Brigade," as coined by the drill instructors at Army boot camp. You're more apt to find a "punt brigade" at a pub somewhere in England with a mass around the television sipping pints while watching the race horses. I've even even heard the term used in Australia 🇦🇺 for a series of small motor boats jockeying around the bigger boats for position for the best water spots to drop an anchor.

Regardless, DJ won't be DJ'ing anytime soon. Besides, he still has his business for the "Danny Dimes" trademark to tend to when his career is finished.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 09, 2024, 10:41:52 AMIf Purdy had been drafted by the Jets, he would be on their practice squad.  Purdy was lucky enough to be drafted to a very talented team with an outstanding coaching staff.

Further, he has arguably the best left tackle in the game. His offensive line has played consistently well for over two years now and are one with the kid. They have the synergy every bit as Simms had Benson, Ard, Oates, Godfrey, Nelson and the tight end, Mark Bavaro (NOTE: I can hear Pat Summerall's voice in my head announce the 1985-86 Giants' offensive line). That means something!

At best, what Jones, Taylor and DeVito have right now are the bumbling, stumbling late 70s Giants O-line. In other words, fix the damn line, please! As soon as Parcells did, following 1983, and further reinforced it after 1984, the Giants made their run. Simms had three healthy years where he didn't miss a game. Ironically, those were the only seasons he didn't miss any games until his final season in 1993.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 09, 2024, 04:06:14 PMDJ should get a job as a DJ

Found this earlier today and thought of your post. DJ shouldn't quit his day job as he looks out of place, of sorts, with Eli and Sean Payton. Not to break the kid's chops, but he looks way out of his league on a couch of Super Bowl winners.

Peace!

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 09, 2024, 10:31:24 PM15% of the QBs in this league are elite. That doesn't mean that there's a 15% chance to draft one. Some teams like Buffalo go 25 years to get one and have him play in his prime.

And as Bufflo showed us an elite QB can take you just so far

KC is not a top notch "team".   

they have achieved SB status with a great QB and TE

Tomorrow they will be eaten by a pack of wild wolves

41-17

We on the other hand have a decent team and horrible QB
He was ok coming out of college but his regression has been breathtaking

If Tommy had had the reins Id say we would have had a punchers chance of being in the big game.   We are very close to being a contender but somehow, someway they have to unload Jones.....even if Gardiner Minshew is the alternative

we are QB impeeded big time
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 10, 2024, 03:55:31 PMIf Tommy had had the reins Id say we would have had a punchers chance of being in the big game.   

To be clear I am understanding you correctly: you believe that with DeVito starting all season the Giants would be a Super Bowl caliber team?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 10, 2024, 04:06:55 PMTo be clear I am understanding you correctly: you believe that with DeVito starting all season the Giants would be a Super Bowl caliber team?
:computer:
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 10, 2024, 04:06:55 PMTo be clear I am understanding you correctly: you believe that with DeVito starting all season the Giants would be a Super Bowl caliber team?
does it really surprise you?