News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tiki Barber makes a strong case against NYG drafting a quarterback

Started by MightyGiants, February 08, 2024, 02:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc16LT56

Quote from: kingm56 on February 09, 2024, 10:47:11 AMlol. The problem is, DJ has yet to  approach Smith's production...not even close.  We're hoping he can become Smith, which is a problem in itself. 
Exactly. We're hoping DJ can become Alex Smith in the same way we're hoping Evan Neal becomes David Diehl. It would be great if it happens but you don't build a football team based on "it would be great if" scenarios. And you've got to keep a very short leash on good but not great potential.

kartanoman

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on February 10, 2024, 04:57:26 PMExactly. We're hoping DJ can become Alex Smith in the same way we're hoping Evan Neal becomes David Diehl. It would be great if it happens but you don't build a football team based on "it would be great if" scenarios. And you've got to keep a very short leash on good but not great potential.

Someone must have spiked my water today so let me try to articulate what just popped out of my two or three working brain cells this weekend (NOTE: the rest I have to conserve for the week ahead):

We're all hoping DJ can become the grandeur of delusion in Mara's and Gettleman's brains which prompted the selection of him at #6 in 2019.

Leash optional.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

y_so_blu

In February 2023, I would have agreed with him.

Here's the problem: a whole year has gone by since then. There was a season called the 2023 season, and it was bad. Really bad. Not just bad, ugly and boring and the equivalent of watching royal blue paint dry. Because we do not have a franchise quarterback. At one time I thought we did. I was wrong. So is Tiki.

Everything we failed at in 2023, and everything Houston succeeded at, destroys his case. Rebuilding team, bad line... didn't matter. They were a force to be reckoned with because they got the right quarterback. It's time we did the same.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 10, 2024, 04:06:55 PMTo be clear I am understanding you correctly: you believe that with DeVito starting all season the Giants would be a Super Bowl caliber team?

Stop feeding the trolls. To quote Logan Roy "These are not serious people".
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

y_so_blu

So after seeing the Niners fall short in the big game yet again, is anyone still on board with Tiki's "build everywhere but at QB" argument? Just checking.

Philosophers

Quote from: y_so_blu on February 11, 2024, 11:16:39 PMSo after seeing the Niners fall short in the big game yet again, is anyone still on board with Tiki's "build everywhere but at QB" argument? Just checking.

A new QB can work magic provided he has average around him.  In the Giants case their OL gave up 85 sacks.  Nobody works magic with that.  More likely gets hurt.  Fixing OL is priority #1 and getting a QB is priority #2.

y_so_blu

Quote from: Philosophers on February 12, 2024, 12:48:22 AMA new QB can work magic provided he has average around him.  In the Giants case their OL gave up 85 sacks.  Nobody works magic with that.  More likely gets hurt.  Fixing OL is priority #1 and getting a QB is priority #2.
Once again... that's a 2020-22 argument. I'm done beating my head against that wall and I hope the Giants are too.

katkavage

Does anyone think rationally that the Chiefs win three out of four Super Bowls with anyone but Mahomes? They have a very good coach and organization and some nice players, but it's the QB that is the difference. Same could be said for the Pats who never won one without Brady despite the coach and organization. Not saying there are many Mahomes or Brady's out there, but you have to try to find that guy.

Ed Vette

Quote from: katkavage on February 12, 2024, 07:02:28 AMDoes anyone think rationally that the Chiefs win three out of four Super Bowls with anyone but Mahomes? They have a very good coach and organization and some nice players, but it's the QB that is the difference. Same could be said for the Pats who never won one without Brady despite the coach and organization. Not saying there are many Mahomes or Brady's out there, but you have to try to find that guy.
Mahomes and Spags.
Thank you, Mr. Mara.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Philosophers

Quote from: y_so_blu on February 12, 2024, 02:23:26 AMOnce again... that's a 2020-22 argument. I'm done beating my head against that wall and I hope the Giants are too.

You continue to think football is not a team sport and that a good QB can line up by himself against 11 defensive players and win consistently.  News flash.  He can't.

I'm all for drafting a QB this year.  What I am against is playing him until the OL is fixed.

AYM

Quote from: y_so_blu on February 11, 2024, 11:16:39 PMSo after seeing the Niners fall short in the big game yet again, is anyone still on board with Tiki's "build everywhere but at QB" argument? Just checking.

I don't understand this take. The 49ers lost in overtime and only went to overtime due to a missed PAT. Clearly the roster as constructed was championship-caliber. It wasn't like they didn't belong there and were run off the field, exposed as frauds.

EliWasrobbed

Tiki lowkey just wants the Giants to be awful forever... he's still mad about 07
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.