News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which Is More Important? Weapons, Or Linemen?

Started by brownelvis54, February 23, 2024, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Quote from: katkavage on February 24, 2024, 07:18:39 AMQB is number one in today's NFL. After that the lines must be fortified. Weapons come close to last. Running backs and receivers are much easier to find than tackles, edge rushers, and especially QBs.

WRs are very expensive in FA. Tackles and Guards are too. Again our draft picks have not produced..Get at least two FAs that have proven the can play at this level. The Free agent is Jermaine Eluemunor, who plays both RT and has played Guard, not flashy...but serviceable and affordable compare to the top dogs
The KING is in the building

Hadron

The team needs to get better ply out of Evan Neal and JMS. For Neal, the third year is pivotal for long term planning. JMS? His play should improve as he's no longer a rookie.

So you pick Nabers ot Odunze? I think there's some serious consideration. I mean, look at what Chase did for Burrows when the I-line play was less than a x"excellent.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Hadron on February 24, 2024, 01:47:17 PMThe team needs to get better ply out of Evan Neal and JMS. For Neal, the third year is pivotal for long term planning. JMS? His play should improve as he's no longer a rookie.

So you pick Nabers ot Odunze? I think there's some serious consideration. I mean, look at what Chase did for Burrows when the I-line play was less than a x"excellent.
Yeah but Burrow produced before chase and Jones isnt even a shell of Burrow.

Giant Jim

Which Is More Important? Weapons Or Linemen?

Linemen

DaveBrown74

They're both important, but when you have a completely inept, bottom two or three in the league O line, it's hard to do much of anything on offense. If on the other hand you have a stout O line, you can still have a functional offense even with pedestrian weapons.

londonblue

You can get by with a mediocre OL.

Mahomes just showed you can get by with mediocre WR.

It is a team game and generally speaking teams are as good as their weakest link, or at least as their ability to hide/protect it permits.

Our WR corps is currently mediocre.

Our OL and our DL/pass rush are both currently weaker links than WR IMO.

But you still take BPA at 6 which is likely a WR (the consensus is that the top 3 WR are all better than any of the top OL).

We have to use FA to raise the OL floor and hope Bricillo raises it more by improving one or more of Neal, Ezeudu, McKethan and Schmitz.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jclayton92

I know Neal is going into year 3 but Because of injury he hasn't played but a little over a season.

kartanoman

Consider that you now have a new Offensive Line coach who replaced a coach whose unit's performance was unsatisfactory when it counted most. So, how does this new coach impact the discussion for #6, if at all?

For the record, I'm in the "Fix the damn line" camp and continue to support that position. I also agree that they can fill those needs at Guard with picks in Rounds two and three.

Save pick six for an impact player and I don't care what position he plays. The criteria is simple. He steps on the field and tilts it. I'm not going to get cute about if this, that or else, then scenarios. I know what my needs are, but I also know my impact player immediately makes my other players better. That's who I want.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

They need a proven Guard who can step in and play at a high level. They can draft a Tackle who can start at RG and slide over if Neal doesn't have a breakthrough.

There hasn't been a successful OLine Coach for the Giants since Flats. If the talent isn't there, nobody can work miracles. I am however cautiously optimistic that we will see some marginal improvement and I would hope a decision will be made on Neal before the season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Guards aren't that expensive in FA compared to other positions so we should be able to grab two starting guards and a swing for cheap.

Jolly Blue Giant

There are three guards in this draft that are actual "difference makers", the way Zack Martin transformed the Cowboys' line:

Jackson Powers-Johnson (likely gone by pick 25)
Graham Barton (extremely cerebral, plays all 5 positions [very, very well, btw], but will be plugged in at guard...likely late 1st, early 2nd round pick...probably will be off the board when Giants pick in 2nd)
Zak Zinter (if not for breaking his leg in two places in his last game with Michigan, he'd most likely be the first guard off the board. Because of his injury, he'll fall to the 2nd round, or maybe early 3rd)

Any of those three will make an offensive line explode for the better

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

How does a WR run a 40 yard route without good pass blocking?  Answer:  He can't.  Pass blocking is essential to a downfield passing game.  If all you want to do is throw 4 yard passes it is less necessary but then again, a defense will bring one or two safeties in the box which will stop it.  Need a vertical passing game or real threat of it and that takes pass blocking to generate time for a QB.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on February 25, 2024, 12:18:09 PMHow does a WR run a 40 yard route without good pass blocking?  Answer:  He can't.  Pass blocking is essential to a downfield passing game.  If all you want to do is throw 4 yard passes it is less necessary but then again, a defense will bring one or two safeties in the box which will stop it.  Need a vertical passing game or real threat of it and that takes pass blocking to generate time for a QB.
Just ask Jalin Hyatt.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 25, 2024, 05:28:25 PMJust ask Jalin Hyatt.

Yes 100%.  If pass protection was consistently good, he'd have had a lot more throws to him.

LennG

I know it wasn't asked but QB is still the biggest need.
We have 2 #2 picks and we can share up the OL there. I'm sorry but we aren't winning the SB this year, just trying to improve so there are more needs than a big time WR. Edge is a bigger need and then safety if McKinney leaves. A big time WR is nice but not for a struggling team. That can come next year.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss