News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron in NJ

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 11:13:08 AM
The science of the health risk to children or the science of disease spread?   There are two significant issues at play, not one.  Also what about the health of teachers and staff?

I would also remind you that this is a novel virus and the long term effects from it are not fully understood but I have not seen a disease that has such detrimental effects on such a wide variety of body systems as we have seen with Covid.  So I don't think it's safe to assume that just because they didn't get critically ill, that there are not other risks.

Like I said, you can disagree with her conclusions, but she is not saying to ignore the science.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ron in NJ on July 17, 2020, 11:16:21 AM
Like I said, you can disagree with her conclusions, but she is not saying to ignore the science.

Correct, she said don't let science stand in the way of Trump's desire to fully open up schools

As I said, there is more science at work, Ron

Scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention drew up guidelines for re-opening schools, the CDC endorsed a school environment in which educators should, among other things, distance kids within classrooms, build physical barriers to prevent infections, and go to staggered scheduling to minimize interactions.

That science was dismissed by Trump:

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 10:40:17 AM

Bob,

I have to confess that sometimes your responses disappoint me.    Here is literally the official White House transcript

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/press-briefing-press-secretary-kayleigh-mcenany-7-16-2020/

Rich: I was going to address this in a PS above, but first tell me... did they ask her what she meant?  Did they ask her if she misspoke?  (I have an answer.  I just drawing this out a bit for dramatic effect).  Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 11:25:13 AM
Rich: I was going to address this in a PS above, but first tell me... did they ask her what she meant?  Did they ask her if she misspoke?  (I have an answer.  I just drawing this out a bit for dramatic effect).  Bob

So are you suggesting Donald Trump hired a press secretary who isn't very good at communicating?    I have training on how dealing with the press and I can tell you if you think it's the reporter's job to clarify YOUR points, then it's best you don't speak with the press.

Plus, the CDC science on what schools should do to safely open up schools was soundly dismissed by Donald Trump.   So I see nothing that conflicts with here "don't let science stand in the way" comment.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

As I said, I rarely post opinion articles.   That said, I also qualified that on technical matters, opinions from experts have value.   In that vein, I offer up

John M. Barry is a professor at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the author of
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Tim and Ron (and I suspect a silent majority) have addressed the "context" aspect of the statement (with which you continue to argue) and most of the semantics issues (which are effecting your interpretation).

Their words express my point of view on the "context" aspect, but I'm going to eventually make a point about one more word.... the word "should" (hint: versus use of the word "shall" or "must").

You've asked a lot of questions, all of which to this point I have answered.  But I asked a question and all I got is more questions in return.... did they ask her what she meant?  Or did they ask her if she misspoke?

Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 11:41:40 AM
As I said, I rarely post opinion articles.   That said, I also qualified that on technical matters, opinions from experts have value.   In that vein, I offer up

John M. Barry is a professor at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the author of

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 12:25:26 PM
Rich: Medically, it's good stuff.  He's a doctor and IMO is doing a good job of being a doctor and stating his opinion.

But being President or a Governor is not the same as being a doctor.

Chief execs must solve the "equation" of what public policy is "best" for their jurisdiction, and clearly  the weight to be given to "medicine" should be high, and should always remain so.

Any chief executive would be remiss in his duties if he or she gave it anything other than high priority (because it involves lives).

But it does not mean that THAT single phase of "medicine" is the ONLY medical factor... there are also other medical factors that carry weight on the other side of the argument (and they ALSO involve lives).

Bob

Bob,

Your comments tell me that you don't fully appreciate what public health is, as it's not "medicine"

CDC

PUBLIC HEALTH CONNECTS US ALL.
Public health is the science of protecting and improving the health of people and their communities. This work is achieved by promoting healthy lifestyles, researching disease and injury prevention, and detecting, preventing and responding to infectious diseases.

Overall, public health is concerned with protecting the health of entire populations. These populations can be as small as a local neighborhood, or as big as an entire country or region of the world.

Public health professionals try to prevent problems from happening or recurring through implementing educational programs, recommending policies, administering services and conducting research
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:31:59 AM
umass: Being President requires weighing of ALL national interests and striking a balance.  He is doing what he thinks is in the overall best national interests, and each Governor is doing likewise for his or her state.  Bob

Bob

Do YOU really believe this? That Trump has the NATIONAL interests at heart? If so, you really have to be kidding. Trump couldn't care one iota about anyone who might be a Democrat and probably could care 1/2 an iota about most of those others who support him. He plays to a crowd, but in private he probably despises them all. Really, you have been watching this move towards re-election and that is all he cares about. Every move, every statement, every tweet is all about how he is viewed and towards his re-election bid. Why else would he have pushed so hard to get states to reopen--the economy, his ONLY saving grace in his presidency. He wants schools reopened, not because he cares if the little kiddies will learn or have a good environment, but if they go back to school, parents go back to work and economy numbers might rise. He couldn't care a diddley about kids, people even hos own people, only Donald Trump. No one is saying that the economy isn't important, but since that this his ONLY platform, that is all he cares about.
We know him for a very long time, being a NYer. We have seen him grow, we have seen him for what he really is. a spoiled rich kid who had everything he ever wanted or needed. If he failed, his daddy bailed him out and that happened quite often. He goes thru women like a sieve, marriages mean nothing, children are just objects for him to sue as he chooses. When he couldn't get his way, he throws a garage of lawyers into the mix until people just get tired of fighting him. He doesn't win with honesty, he wins by being dishonest and a tyrant. If you really think he cares about all the peo[ple of this country, I have a very nice bridge I'm trying to sell.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:37:19 AM
Rich: The President of the United States has no power to overrule a Governor.  The "bully pulpit" has the power of persuasion, maybe, but it is not the power to affect legal change.  Bob

At first, he thought he did

QuoteTrump said it was within his presidential powers to override governors in deciding whether and how a state should reopen.

And the next day, after Governors like Cuomo and several others from the NorthEast, basically called him on this, he backed down. To this day he feels he can do anything he desires as President. Just not so.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: umassgrad on July 17, 2020, 09:50:38 AM
Just found the Fox News victory lap video, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDNaB6fZCU

This should be Biden's entire campaign. He should air these clips, and just add "Is this what you want next time we are faced with something disastrous?". he doesn't have to do anything else. They speak for themselves.

Charlie Weiss

umassgrad

Quote from: LennG on July 17, 2020, 02:14:30 PM
This should be Biden's entire campaign. He should air these clips, and just add "Is this what you want next time we are faced with something disastrous?". he doesn't have to do anything else. They speak for themselves.
Fox News = xxxxxxxx Central and the scariest part is this is where our president gets his ideas =)) =))

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on July 17, 2020, 03:41:17 PM
Fox News = xxxxxxxx Central and the scariest part is this is where our president gets his ideas =)) =))

Trump answers the question-  What would happen if a person whose world views were shaped by FOX "News" became President
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA