News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I can attest to this part being completely and utterly true

QuoteEven before the pandemic hit, local public health agencies had been decimated by years of staffing and budget cuts.

They had lost almost a quarter of their overall workforce since 2008
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

We lead the world in testing.  It is no surprise that we lead the world in DISCOVERED cases of the virus. 

No one knows how many cases other countries really have.

Heck, even here, no one knows.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 19, 2020, 09:58:22 PM
We lead the world in testing.  It is no surprise that we lead the world in DISCOVERED cases of the virus. 

Bob

Thank you for sharing Donald Trump's talking points.  Of course like most of Trump's talking points, it has an element of truth while being overall false.   The US is 23rd in tests per million population. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Although, you might want to share Wallaces reply that testing is up only 39% while cases are up 137%.   So while there is an element of truth in the Trump's talking point overall it's deceptive
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 19, 2020, 09:58:22 PM

Bob
Wow! I really don't know what to say Bob. I'm guessing you watched the Wallace interview to get this idea in your head? 800 dead yesterday in the US. After so many months fighting the virus that number is really high. If only we didn't report our deaths then there wouldn't be anything to worry about and we could go on living our lives :surrender: We have a serious health emergency in our country and it has nothing to do what other countries are doing.

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on July 20, 2020, 07:39:26 AM
Wow! I really don't know what to say Bob. I'm guessing you watched the Wallace interview to get this idea in your head? 800 dead yesterday in the US. After so many months fighting the virus that number is really high. If only we didn't report our deaths then there wouldn't be anything to worry about and we could go on living our lives :surrender: We have a serious health emergency in our country and it has nothing to do what other countries are doing.

If we as a nation were united in fighting the disease instead of roughly a third trying to diminish the severity of the disease and the problems it is calling, I would venture to say we would be much better off like most of the other nations in the world who have done a superior job dealing with this deadly virus.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

A unified message would have gone a long way in keeping people home to ride this out. Instead we got the no mask wearing yahoo that suggested it would all be over in a couple of weeks. Then it was Easter or when it got warm out. Then it was ingest bleach or try experimental drugs. Before you know it we have heavily armed citizens storming their capitals demanding we open. If only we had a leader that would have unified the country so our numbers would have been down enough to reopen properly.

MightyGiants

With our current death rates, it's like the US is having a 9/11 type disaster every two to three days
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

It's still early and it's possible this doesn't amount to anything, but here is some good news about the virus.   A treatment that may help reduce the severity.  Not peer-reviewed yet, so take what you hear with a grain of salt, but this will be welcome news if it pans out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53467022

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

John Oliver does an outstanding job breaking down the conspiracy theories and Covid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_eHBZLM6U
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 20, 2020, 08:46:23 AM
John Oliver does an outstanding job breaking down the conspiracy theories and Covid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_eHBZLM6U
Watched last night but way too long for those that need to hear it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on July 20, 2020, 08:58:41 AM
Watched last night but way too long for those that need to hear it.

That can be said of so many of the topics John Oliver breaks down.  He spends 20 minutes talking about a wide variety of topics (some are often obscure and not frequently discussed).  He does this for a nation with the attention span of a gerbil and who collectively feel if you can't sum it up in a couple of sentences it's not worth listening two.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: umassgrad on July 20, 2020, 07:39:26 AM

umass: I did not see the Wallace interview.  Generally, I don't watch FOX News except to skim through DVR's of Carlson, Hannity and Ingraham to see which topics are discussed.  If I see someone I know appearing as a guest, I might stop and listen.  I follow the same procedure for the 8PM to 11PM time slots on CNN and MSNBC.  All of those shows are mostly commercials combined with sheer repetition of each other and of the stuff they said on the previous night.  It's like coming to this site and reading the posts of some people (specifically not including you, uconn, T200 and Ron, all of whom make your points, respond to inquiries without seeking to change the subject, and do so with a minimum of needless repetition, and which I greatly appreciate).

As for reporting of covid stats, yes, the number of deaths is high.....but the death rate is not.  We have a huge population and conduct a large number of tests.  This is a pandemic.  That means it's everywhere.  People are going to get sick and some are going to die.  But the breathless media reporting of deaths without explaining the correct context is designed to create and maintain a state of undue panic (to boost their ratings).  Stoking fear is reprehensible (and from some of the posts on this site, I see it's working). 

The God's honest truth is ..... we will all get the virus at least once UNLESS a 100 percent effective "true" vaccine (like the polio vaccine) is found.  The chances of finding a true vaccine are slim, but not yet ruled out. The measures already taken by Federal, state and local governments (to first shut down, then get hospitals, doctors and equipment organized, then open up slowly while re-closing down hot spots if necessary) is a logical and appropriate response.  That's all we can do.  Hiding in our houses for several years is just not an option.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 20, 2020, 10:09:59 AM
umass: I did not see the Wallace interview.  Generally, I don't watch FOX News except to skim through DVR's of Carlson, Hannity and Ingraham to see which topics are discussed.  If I see someone I know appearing as a guest, I might stop and listen.  I follow the same procedure for the 8PM to 11PM time slots on CNN and MSNBC. All of those shows are mostly commercials combined with sheer repetition of each other and of the stuff they said on the previous night.  It's like coming to this site and reading the posts of some people (specifically not including you, uconn, T200 and Ron, all of whom make your points, respond to inquiries without seeking to change the subject, and do so with a minimum of needless repetition, and which I greatly appreciate).

As for reporting of covid stats, yes, the number of deaths is high.....but the death rate is not.  We have a huge population and conduct a large number of tests.  This is a pandemic.  That means it's everywhere.  People are going to get sick and some are going to die.  But the breathless media reporting of deaths without explaining the correct context is designed to create and maintain a state of undue panic (to boost their ratings).  Stoking fear is reprehensible (and from some of the posts on this site, I see it's working). 

The God's honest truth is ..... we will all get the virus at least once UNLESS a 100 percent effective "true" vaccine (like the polio vaccine) is found.  The chances of finding a true vaccine are slim, but not yet ruled out. The measures already taken by Federal, state and local governments (to first shut down, then get hospitals, doctors and equipment organized, then open up slowly while re-closing down hot spots if necessary) is a logical and appropriate response.  That's all we can do.  Hiding in our houses for several years is just not an option.

Bob

Your passive aggressive digs were duly noted Bob.   It seems the more I criticize your beloved Donald Trump the angrier and nastier you become.   Is there a way I could criticize Donald Trump that won't make you so angry that you will violate the rules of civility?   I appreciate that you are just copying the style of the man you support unconditionally, who you will never criticize or admit he made a mistake, but do you think that style is appropriate for our forum that is built on respect?   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Here is a very good article on the progress being made toward a vaccine

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 20, 2020, 10:09:59 AM
umass: I did not see the Wallace interview.  Generally, I don't watch FOX News except to skim through DVR's of Carlson, Hannity and Ingraham to see which topics are discussed.  If I see someone I know appearing as a guest, I might stop and listen.  I follow the same procedure for the 8PM to 11PM time slots on CNN and MSNBC.  All of those shows are mostly commercials combined with sheer repetition of each other and of the stuff they said on the previous night.  It's like coming to this site and reading the posts of some people (specifically not including you, uconn, T200 and Ron, all of whom make your points, respond to inquiries without seeking to change the subject, and do so with a minimum of needless repetition, and which I greatly appreciate).

Bob
Fair points Bob and there is no doubt CNN and others over report on Covid. I've have one question in response to your last post. If everything you say is true, is 800 deaths in a day something we just accept as the new normal until we get a vaccine? What's the death rate for a really bad day during flu season.