News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:15:37 PM
Bob, Your joke speaks to the heart of the issue.  The people that voted for Biden and the two Democratic senators are not the same people who voted in the Republicans.  The Republicans are abusing their power to make sure "those people" don't vote again and the Republicans can wield dictatorial power.
Rich: The 2020 election in Georgia was not just for President and U.S. Senate, but ALSO for the vast majority of the GA state legislature. Essentially, the SAME PEOPLE voted for all of them. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 05, 2021, 01:17:08 PM
Rich

The whole ID thing is a mute point from common sense and is just a talking point of the left which is racists in its own right making it sound like lower income people can
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:30:15 PM
FACT-  11% of all Americans do not have an ID.   

The problem is as Tim (T200) said you and others don't spend any time in areas of poverty or with impoverished families.   You assume that everyone enjoys that same standard of living and the same access to needs that you do.  That is a very bad assumption.    You don't understand what it's like not to have enough money to buy food to eat.  You don't understand what it's like to not own a car and not have enough money for Uber or Taxis.   

Of course, the Republicans in Georgia that passed these anti-voters laws fully understand all these facts.  That's why they knew their anti-voter laws targeting the poor would hurt the minority communities and benefit themselves in future elections.
It's a game of social chess. You can't directly go after your opponent's King. You have to strategize to weaken their defenses, take out key members and then attack.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 01:30:23 PM
Rich: The 2020 election in Georgia was not just for President and U.S. Senate, but ALSO for the vast majority of the GA state legislature. Essentially, the SAME PEOPLE voted for all of them. Bob

That is the problem with Gerrymandering, but that's a whole other major discussion
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:19:42 PM
I don't mean to call you out - I am responding to your post. I think it is extremely presumptuous and it teeters on being blind to one's own privilege. The items above are highlighted because not all black people smoke and drink, rent hotels and cars, go to the bank or doctor's office regularly, or pick up tickets at will call, or travel by plane or train. Those are luxury expenses that many at or below the poverty level simply cannot afford.

It's simple enough to you because it's a part of your life. Not so much for the millions who can't afford to live as you and others.
Tim: I believe even the most severely impoverished and underprivileged citizens of this country have a Social Security number.  How else would they apply for and receive government benefits? Bob

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:30:15 PM
FACT-  11% of all Americans do not have an ID.   

The problem is as Tim (T200) said you and others don't spend any time in areas of poverty or with impoverished families.   You assume that everyone enjoys that same standard of living and the same access to needs that you do.  That is a very bad assumption.    You don't understand what it's like not to have enough money to buy food to eat.  You don't understand what it's like to not own a car and not have enough money for Uber or Taxis.   

Of course, the Republicans in Georgia that passed these anti-voters laws fully understand all these facts.  That's why they knew their anti-voter laws targeting the poor would hurt the minority communities and benefit themselves in future elections.
Rich

I work in the Bronx.  I am there working with the employees in restaurants in the Bronx every week.

My daughter dates a man of color.

I am not ignorant to the issues they deal with or the problems at hand.

11% of people do not have IDs. 

How many of that 11% can legally vote?

Of that number can they or would they be able to obtain an ID if given the opportunity?

It

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:35:15 PM
That is the problem with Gerrymandering, but that's a whole other major discussion
Rich: Regardless, the same people who elected Biden, Ossoff and Warnock also elected the state legislature that wrote the revised GA election law.  Bob

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:30:47 PM
Slugs,

My response to you will be similar to the one I posted to Expatriot. Blacks and other minorities living at or below the poverty level don't have the "entertainment" income that you and I and many others enjoy. They are barely scraping by. They typical hours of offices that provide IDs are generally the same time that they have to be at work to make ends meet. They don't accrue vacation time in many of these minimum wage jobs. Many don't have their own personal vehicle and they rely on public transportation.

It's sad that we truly don't try and understand other people's position. Instead, we inject ourselves into their shoes with all of our current "things" intact. "If I can do it, so can they." Not so.
T

See my later posts after this one.  I

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 01:36:07 PM
Tim: I believe even the most severely impoverished and underprivileged citizens of this country have a Social Security number.  How else would they apply for and receive government benefits? Bob
Bob,

As far as I know, a social security card isn't sufficient to allow someone to vote. It must be a government-issued picture ID. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding government benefits and other things like getting a bank account, I'm sure people had a valid ID at some point. But they expire after a number of years and must be renewed. I think that's where the problem comes in for many people.

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:19:42 PM
I don't mean to call you out - I am responding to your post. I think it is extremely presumptuous and it teeters on being blind to one's own privilege. The items above are highlighted because not all black people smoke and drink, rent hotels and cars, go to the bank or doctor's office regularly, or pick up tickets at will call, or travel by plane or train. Those are luxury expenses that many at or below the poverty level simply cannot afford.

It's simple enough to you because it's a part of your life. Not so much for the millions who can't afford to live as you and others.

Sorry I can

T200

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:48:22 PM
This is where I really feel like a lack of empathy and understanding plays a huge role.

Just because there is a will, doesn't mean there is a way that doesn't jeopardize one's current status. For example, a single father of three school-age children is working two jobs, seven days a week at minimum wage to make ends meet. He gets no time off from either job. If he misses work, he doesn't get paid and risks getting laid off.

Voting happens every two years. Does he risk losing his job, his home, and his kids and take off work to get an ID that only benefits him once every two years?

This is far from an extreme case. People face these decisions every single day and have to weight what's more important.

Lack of empathy.  Voting ID is free and lasts for 8 years.  Spare me the pity.  Once every eight years you have to get an id.  Really?  Look up the information before you talk about something.  So a bar should serve someone because they are empathetic that someone doesn

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:48:22 PM
This is where I really feel like a lack of empathy and understanding plays a huge role.

Just because there is a will, doesn't mean there is a way that doesn't jeopardize one's current status. For example, a single father of three school-age children is working two jobs, seven days a week at minimum wage to make ends meet. He gets no time off from either job. If he misses work, he doesn't get paid and risks getting laid off.

Voting happens every two years. Does he risk losing his job, his home, and his kids and take off work to get an ID that only benefits him once every two years?

This is far from an extreme case. People face these decisions every single day and have to weight what's more important.
Well seeing as you don