News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on April 05, 2021, 02:03:21 PM
The Republican Party I have occasionaly voted for in the past was easy to recognize.  Guys like Jack Kemp advocating small government but a large defense and a strong stance against the Soviet Union was easy to say yes or no to versus the alternative offered up by the Dems.  The party of folks like George Will, who will always be considered by me to be the "oracle" of what the Republican Party was has now been replaced by fringe candidates who dropped out of high school to have a kid, own a bar and think they are qualified to understand complicated U.S. public policy but in reality are only talented at tweeting conspiracy theories or others who have a lust for media attention in spite of an academic pedigree (Yes I'm talking about Ted Cruz) or dancing Sarah Palin, is just sad.   
Phil: You "pre-answered" essentially the same question that I just directed to Larry (Painter).

It's interesting to me that we have at least two people here who went in that direction as they got older.

In your case it seems mostly it was your stance on the issues that changed (but also a like or dislike for various candidates).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 02:11:23 PM
Bob,

I didn't realize you were offering that as a potential solution. I like the Voter ID/SSAN use for mail-in/absentee ballots.

So what would be the process to request a voter ID? Will a new SSAN card be issued with the voter ID number on it as well? I think it should - one less thing to lose lol.
Yea I like this idea!  It has some legs!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 05, 2021, 02:14:49 PM
You are putting words in my mouth unfairly.

I too want every legal American of age to have an opportunity to vote.

At the same time though I
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 02:17:57 PM
Paul,

The losers/GOP should have never unilaterally changed the voting laws to benefit themselves.   That is what is immoral and that is why MLB and many corporations and many Americans all object to the move.   If you wanted to steal the right to vote from Americans under the banner of voter security there should have been a proven need and a bipartisan effort.  Failing that, what we have is wrong and violates the foundational principles of our democracy.
Rich

They are in power not losers.  The Dems then in that case should have never passed through Obamacare.  The party in power sets the rules.  If the people aren

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 02:18:19 PM
I agree that we have come a long way and we have a long way yet to go.

But it is about race. Has been since foreigners landed here. And while systems have been changed to allow for more inclusion of minorities, they have also changed to exclude and keep them down, or at least limit what they can and can't do.

It's like radar detectors and radar-detector detectors.

I gotta bounce. Thanks for the discussion; always a good one with you.  :ok:
It is my friend and I appreciate you doing so as a gentleman as always.

I do agree there are a lot of things that still need to be done to change this.  Change can

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 02:11:23 PM
Bob,

I didn't realize you were offering that as a potential solution. I like the Voter ID/SSAN use for mail-in/absentee ballots.

So what would be the process to request a voter ID? Will a new SSAN card be issued with the voter ID number on it as well? I think it should - one less thing to lose lol.

Tim: Before answering, I amended my original post to make clear I was referring to myself, not you, when I said time to "think outside the box."

I actually wasn't offering a specific solution (until you inadvertently "challenged" me to provide one LOL).  Coming up with stuff like that was one of my "jobs" a while back. 

To answer your question, first, the idea isn't just for mail-in and absentee ballots.  You would take your Voter ID Number with you to the polls and enter it when you vote (whether they use paper ballots or machines).

You would not request a voter ID.  The legislature would, by writing a law, ORDER the Social Security Administration to send every registered SS number holder an additional number, to be known as a Voter ID Number.

You would receive it in the mail, or by Internet if you have an online account with Social Security Administration.

It could be on a separate card (one more thing to lose) or printed on the same card (but that has disadvantages, too.... if you lose one, you lose both!!!).  Hope your new enterprise is going well.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 02:00:15 PM
But clearly you're not. So not only do you not get to speak for us, you can't even speak hypothetically about what you would or would not do if you were one of us. You are blind to your own privilege.

I don't need you to tell me what I am capable of.

No one asked you to apologize for your success. It was never a topic.

Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. You see it, you address it and you deal with it until it is no longer a problem. My dad has heart problems. Should I tell him, "Daddy, just ignore it and it will go away???"

It's nice to feel that all Americans have equal opportunities for success. It just isn't true.

You my friend are stereotyping. I grew up in poverty. You know nothing about me.  You assume you do.   I

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 05, 2021, 02:23:15 PM
Rich

They are in power not losers.  The Dems then in that case should have never passed through Obamacare.  The party in power sets the rules.  If the people aren
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 02:15:54 PM
Phil: You "pre-answered" essentially the same question that I just directed to Larry (Painter).

It's interesting to me that we have at least two people here who went in that direction as they got older.

In your case it seems mostly it was your stance on the issues that changed (but also a like or dislike for various candidates).

Bob

Bob - I'm a giant believer that national public policy is extremely complicated so we need first and foremost really smart people in Congress.  Second, we need people whose motivation is serving the public and caring about the best interests of the U.S. and for humanity as well and not looking first and foremost at building their personal brande or someone whose only skill is saying everything is wrong or having beliefs that border on crazy.  I simply don't understand how anyone thinks some of these candidates are qualified.

When a conservative Republican in 1982 said, "Communism is a global threat" I felt you could agree or disagree with it, but even if you disagreed with it, you didn't think the person was crazy for thinking it as it was only a difference of opinion.  Now, it's I believe this but the other side believes in global cabal of Satan worshipping pedophiles is nuts.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 02:28:21 PM
Tim: Before answering, I amended my original post to make clear I was referring to myself, not you, when I said time to "think outside the box."

I actually wasn't offering a specific solution (until you inadvertently "challenged" me to provide one LOL).  Coming up with stuff like that was one of my "jobs" a while back. 

To answer your question, first, the idea isn't just for mail-in and absentee ballots.  You would take your Voter ID Number with you to the polls and enter it when you vote (whether they use paper ballots or machines).

You would not request a voter ID.  The legislature would, by writing a law, ORDER the Social Security Administration to send every registered SS number holder an additional number, to be known as a Voter ID Number.

You would receive it in the mail, or by Internet if you have an online account with Social Security Administration.

It could be on a separate card (one more thing to lose) or printed on the same card (but that has disadvantages, too.... if you lose one, you lose both!!!).  Hope your new enterprise is going well.

Bob
Bob

This would be money well spent rather then slush fund pet projects by our politicians or flooding cash overseas.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA! 

You really should pitch it to your representatives!!!

Truly awesome idea!  Solves multitude of issues with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 02:32:20 PM
Paul,

Are you seriously comparing the Georgia Republicans' actions to rob minorities of their right to vote, with President Obama and the Democrats getting 10s of millions of Americans healthcare?!?!

Are you telling me that with Republicans you can expect them to try and destroy our democracy and turn it into a dictatorship, but with Democrats, they will get you by making sure you have access to healthcare?!?!

Your argument suggests that the GOP should go the way of the Whig party.  Here is the thing, when a political party like the Republicans (or the Democrats in the past) become unpopular due to their political policies and positions they would adjust and change their positions to make them more acceptable to the American people.    Now you are saying that the Republicans are abusing the power that comes with their elected positions to rob minorities and others of their right to vote, instead of making their policies more popular and acceptable.    Not only is that wrong, but it's also frankly un-American.

Go check out HR1 and tell me that

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 02:32:20 PM
Paul,

Are you seriously comparing the Georgia Republicans' actions to rob minorities of their right to vote, with President Obama and the Democrats getting 10s of millions of Americans healthcare?!?!

Are you telling me that with Republicans you can expect them to try and destroy our democracy and turn it into a dictatorship, but with Democrats, they will get you by making sure you have access to healthcare?!?!

Your argument suggests that the GOP should go the way of the Whig party.  Here is the thing, when a political party like the Republicans (or the Democrats in the past) become unpopular due to their political policies and positions they would adjust and change their positions to make them more acceptable to the American people.    Now you are saying that the Republicans are abusing the power that comes with their elected positions to rob minorities and others of their right to vote, instead of making their policies more popular and acceptable.    Not only is that wrong, but it's also frankly un-American.

You are the one saying that the party in power shouldn